shape
carat
color
clarity

#TBT 1.5 ct OEC heirloom stone in a new engagement ring!

alisonia333

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone!

I just totally deleted my whole engagement story by mistake! Ahh! I'm going to make a long story short: my long time boyfriend proposed with a ring that I designed with a highly recommended local jeweler (Brown Goldsmith, Freeport, ME). I used a diamond that has been in my family for close to 120 years. My grandmother got it from her mother and turned it into a beautiful platinum brooch with 33 other 23 point OECs. I'll post a picture of it. The stone is lousy on paper, but so beautiful in real life!! My pictures don't really do it justice. I didn't know exactly when the ring would be ready, but I've been nagging my FI about if for weeks! This weekend I asked him to please just tell me when and he said he was sorry but they were still setting the stones and it definitely wasn't this weekend. I was crestfallen, and had already been waiting 5 weeks (well, 5.5 years plus 5 weeks!). Today we were leaving for brunch at our favorite spot and I went to grab my purse, but it was open and wouldn't close. I looked inside and saw a little black box. My FI took it from me, got down on one knee in our kitchen and asked if I would make him the happiest man alive and marry him. Then he opened the box backwards with the ring facing him!! It was so cute. Of course I said yes (technically we had already been engaged for a couple months without a ring) and I was totally blown away by my ring. It's so beautiful!! I know everybody on pricescope has a round halo, but nobody I know in real life does, so it's really special to me! My grandma would be super happy with it. Here are the stats on the center stone, they're horrible, but the stone is so gorgeous and you don't have to take my word for it!

Shape and Cut: Old European
Measurements: 7.35 x 7.13 x 4.42 mm
Weight: 1.50 carats
Proportions: Fair
Depth: 61.0%
Table: 41.6%
Girdle: Thin to thick; average slightly thick
Culet: Extremely large
Finish
Polish: Good
Symmetry: Fair
Clarity: I-1
Comments: Feather on girdle extends approximately 3 mm.
Color: K, brownish
Fluorescence: None (lw), none (sw)

I can see the feather on the girdle from the side from a few inches away. I can't see any visible inclusions looking at it further than a few inches away and there's nothing visible from the top. I was surprised that the clarity was that low, but he said it's just because of the feather on the girdle and the rest of the stone is super clean. The stone doesn't look yellow at all and definitely not brown! I took lots of pictures, so judge the K color for yourself, but it faces up really white to my eye. The melee is G and there isn't a very noticeable difference. The cut is really beautiful and throws off these beautiful chunks of fire. The ring is gorgeous and it's exactly the delicate halo I wanted. The shank is 2.0mm, 21 full cut 3/4 of a point bead-set melee make up the halo and 18 full cut 1 pointers are prong-set into the airline shank. I thought about doing larger melee, but I loved the look of a really subtle, delicate halo with the stone being the star of the show and not adding too much size to my tiny finger (I know, crazy, but I'm a simple girl). The ring is size 4.5, but it's fairly easy to remove from my summer swollen finger and I'm losing weight so I may need to size it down this winter when I'm thinner and colder!

zaring.jpg

grammybrooch.jpg

premanicurefire.jpg

_948.jpg

More pics

20120916_125144.jpg

appleattempt.jpg

bathroomlight.jpg

buddharing.jpg

More pictures, obviously.

Cuz 4 is never enough :)

_949.jpg

closewindow.jpg

fire.jpg

featherinclusion.jpg

And more

more more...

glitter.jpg

indoorbywindow.jpg

insidewindow.jpg

_950.jpg

Last but not least!

Camera phone pics

_955.jpg

_956.jpg

studying.jpg

FABULOUS!!! Its just beautiful, Alisonia!!! I remember your other thread on that heirloom pin (and thinking - "what a HUGELY awkward ring that would be... " oh! just the centre diamond! :rodent: )

It looks so perfect on your hand :love: I love the halo and the contrast with centre diamond and melee - that's just what I'd go for with an older stone! Congratulations on your official engagement & I love your setting

Enerchi|1347832743|3269240 said:
FABULOUS!!! Its just beautiful, Alisonia!!! I remember your other thread on that heirloom pin (and thinking - "what a HUGELY awkward ring that would be... " oh! just the centre diamond! :rodent: )

It looks so perfect on your hand :love: I love the halo and the contrast with centre diamond and melee - that's just what I'd go for with an older stone! Congratulations on your official engagement & I love your setting

Thank you so much!! It's like it was made for my hand, it feels so normal and right. I'm glad you like it :)

LOVE it! Not just like it!!! It's gorgeous and what makes it even more special, is that it was a family stone. I think that's wonderful - you'll have a history already built into the start of your relationship - a family foundation to build your own family upon. That's so special - enjoy your GORGEOUS ring :love:

One last close up

Inside by a window.

studyclose.jpg

that is such a beautiful ring and the story makes it even better. I agree with you that the specs do not indicate how pretty the diamond is. "brownish? not. looks stunning.

imagardener2 said:
that is such a beautiful ring and the story makes it even better. I agree with you that the specs do not indicate how pretty the diamond is. "brownish? not. looks stunning.

Thanks! I know, I've had it on all day in every different light and have yet to see "brownish," lol :) Also, I picture an I1 stone having visible flaws and spots and all that, so it was definitely surprising, but because that feather on the girdle is visible to the naked eye I do understand the grade.

It's gorgeous!!!!! and so special having a family stone!

Love it!! Especially in that last shot. Enjoy, and congrats! My original e-ring was my grandma's, and agree, it's nice to have that connection. :)

NKOTB said:
Love it!! Especially in that last shot. Enjoy, and congrats! My original e-ring was my grandma's, and agree, it's nice to have that connection. :)
Bella_mezzo|1347839060|3269296 said:
It's gorgeous!!!!! and so special having a family stone!
Thank you! I've fallen in love with the old cuts and it's really cool to have one that been in the family for so long. I'm really glad it speaks to me, too!

It's beautiful!!! I would give anything to have a diamond from my grandmother, especially one as lovely as that! Congrats!

It's beautiful in looks and history! Congrats on being engaged and on being able to wear a stone that has such history behind it. Makes it so very special! Bet that stone feels really dressed up in the halo setting - love it!

HI:

Gorgeous--congrts!

cheers--Sharon

Your ring is absolutely stunning. So neat that the stone has been in your family for so long. Your cute engagement story made me think of mine (20 years ago). Hubby just sort of shoved the ring on my right hand, he was so nervous. Still makes me smile. Congratulations!!!!!

How wonderful to have a family heirloom stone for your engagement ring! It is very beautiful! :love:

I would suggest putting a colored gemstone in the broach and have it made into a pendant!

Congratulations! What a beautiful oec, and so meaningful! I love that last shot. :love:

Awww, your Grandma would be so proud. Beautiful! Now you have something old, something new..... :appl:

Your ring is beautiful! You sound so thrilled with it and I can't help but share your excitement. I still, after many years, love my heirloom engagement ring from my husband's family and I wouldn't trade it for anything. It is so special to wear something with a family legacy. Enjoy wearing it and congratulations on your engagement.

Congratulations, it is absolutely gorgous! :appl: :love: :appl:

Ah...great choice...I love it and congrats on your engagement. Beautiful stone and ring. you make your grandmother proud! Great story.

Rosebloom, MissGotRocks, canuk-gal, derbygal, diamondseeker2006, ForteKitty, backwardsandinheels, imitcan, armywife13 and ariel144: Thank you so much!! I love my ring so much, and I'm so grateful for my Grandma's stone, the wonderful jeweler who made my dream ring a reality and most of all my amazing husband-to-be! I'm super happy and can't stop staring at my finger. I'm kind of thinking about having a fake one made to wear to work since I work in the medical field and I don't want to mess up my ring washing my hands all the time and wrestling with toddlers!

Gorgeous! It looks perfect on your hand, and that OEC is to die for! :love: And yay for you knowing how to spoil us with pics!

Congratulations on your engagement! :appl: That is such a lovely ring. What a wonderful heirloom from your grandmother.

I was about to suggest a Tiffany carabiner necklace to wear your ring on, then I saw you work with toddlers, so I guess you don't want the little monkeys swinging from a necklace either.
How about a small bezel set solitaire? That won't scratch anyone, is easy to wash, fits under gloves, and is comfy.

Very pretty, that is awesome that you have a family stone!

What a stunning ring and I love the history behind it. Congratulations !! :appl: :appl:

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP