shape
carat
color
clarity

1.5 RB, does it look it''s size?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

huangt0n

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I was wondering if someone could offer their expertise on a diamond because I don''t fully understand the ratios and the GIA certificate. The diamond costs a little under $10,000. Would this diamond really look like a 1.5 or do you think it would "face up" smaller than most 1.5?

It is a 1.51 RB with the measurements 7.22-7.26 X 4.63 mm
color - H
clarity - S12 (eye clean)
depth - 64%
table - 58%
crown angle - 35.5 degrees
pavilion angle - 41.8 degrees
girdle - slightly thick
polish and symmetry - very good

Thanks for the help!

beach

Brilliant_Rock
It will face up way smaller. The depth is way too deep and the slightly thick girdle would hide weight. I would stay away from this diamond. The depth will cause it to lose light. I will post some suggestions if you are interested.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agreed.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Does not look good, HCA = 5.2, steep and deep.

It has a deep total depth, ideally should be less than 62.3.

And ideal cut should have a diameter of about 7.4mm compare to this 7.2mm

huangt0n

Rough_Rock
I compared it with the "ideal" numbers. However, the price seemed to be much cheaper than a typical 1.5 RB. Would it still look fairly at the 1.5 size or would it look more like a 1.3 or something? I guess I want to get the best value to maximize visible size to the naked eye.

Thanks for the help!

beach

Brilliant_Rock
That stone is not a good value and you will not see the sparkle you want.... Alot of light leakage....it is too deep. A 1.2 or 1.3 stone cut well would look 100 times better and will look the same size than a 1.5 poorly cut IMO.... The stones I posted look like great performers. If you had the stones side by side you would see a visible difference....

huangt0n

Rough_Rock
Maybe my eyes just can not perceive it well but I could not see a big difference between a 0.8 and a 1.2. I could see a difference with this 1.5 for some reason. I did not compare this particular 1.5 with other 1.5 but I did not want to go above the 10,000 budget.

Are other people not as sensitive to diamond sizes like me or is there a chance I just lucked out with the diamond?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You didn''t luck out because that diamond appears to be around the same size as a 1.4 ct. stone and there is a big price jump at 1.5 carats. At H SI2, I just don''t see it as a good deal at all.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/6/2008 9:27:29 PM
Author: huangt0n
Maybe my eyes just can not perceive it well but I could not see a big difference between a 0.8 and a 1.2. I could see a difference with this 1.5 for some reason. I did not compare this particular 1.5 with other 1.5 but I did not want to go above the 10,000 budget.

Are other people not as sensitive to diamond sizes like me or is there a chance I just lucked out with the diamond?

You didn''t luck out with anything unless carat is the only C that is important to you. This diamond is poorly cut and just won''t sparkle in addition to facing up much smaller than an ideal cut 1.5.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Size comparison:

Your diamond: 7.22-7.26 X 4.63 mm

The last one DS posted from GOG: 7.39-4.41 X 4.52 mm

BIG difference (the first two numbers are the "face up" size). Not to mention that if your stone has dead spots/edges where it isn't returning light due to a poor cut it'll appear even smaller. And the price is higher. No winning with your stone...

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/6/2008 10:44:30 PM
Author: neatfreak
Size comparison:

Your diamond: 7.22-7.26 X 4.63 mm

The last one DS posted from GOG: 7.39-4.41 X 4.52 mm

BIG difference (the first two numbers are the ''face up'' size). Not to mention that if your stone has dead spots/edges where it isn''t returning light due to a poor cut it''ll appear even smaller. And the price is higher. No winning with your stone...
Yeah, I''m not sure why you''d pay more for a smaller stone when you could get a G SI2 that is better cut and has a larger diameter for $9000.

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
yes the 1.5 is meaningless--its the measurements and the appearance. I would rather a stone that was 1.2 and looked like a 1.2 carat than pay for a 1.5 carat that looked like a 1.2 carat.

joey_v

Shiny_Rock
Poor choice. I''ve seen ideal cut 1.33 the same size as that one. Why pay for carats when you essentially get a smaller appearing diamond?

Return or do not buy.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
huang, you can do much better than this diamond, I would recommend you pass and let us help you find another which is well cut.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/6/2008 9:17:20 PM
I compared it with the ''ideal'' numbers. However, the price seemed to be much cheaper than a typical 1.5 RB. Would it still look fairly at the 1.5 size or would it look more like a 1.3 or something? I guess I want to get the best value to maximize visible size to the naked eye.

Thanks for the help!
That''s because it is such a poorly cut stone.
2.gif
Diamonds are not just priced on carat, color, clarity and size. How well, or not, they are cut plays into the price as well. And cut is critical to how pretty a diamond is. That''s the one place you don''t want to skimp!

As the others have said, don''t get hung up on the carat mark, it''s the diameter that you want to pay attention to. That stone is facing up like my 1.40. You don''t want to pay for a magic number and not get what you''re paying for!

I would start out checking on the 1.51 that ds posted, see if it''s eyeclean. If not, my second pick would be the 1.30 G SI1 that beach posted.

huangt0n

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the comments. It is really clear that the diamond is not well cut. I was actually a bit misleading with the first post and did not share my whole story because I wanted to hear real comments as opposed to something that might make me just feel a bit better.

This diamond was already purchased and reset as my upgraded engagement ring. I could not buy another diamond from the great vendors that everyone suggested because I wanted to trade in my previous diamond (0.83 uncertified diamond if anyone recalls my previous posts). So, I had to do it with the local jeweler and go with what she had in stock.

I guess I could have at least negotiated down the diamond price by comparing it to the great diamonds everyone found, but it didn''t dawn on me at the time. ok.. now I''m just ranting but if there is ever an occasion where I could purchase a loose diamond online, I will rely on PS first and foremost. I just hope that I can mentally be happy with what I have because my main requirement was to have something visibly larger than the previous diamond.

Thanks for listening to my rambling.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/7/2008 1:22:30 PM
Thanks for the comments. It is really clear that the diamond is not well cut. I was actually a bit misleading with the first post and did not share my whole story because I wanted to hear real comments as opposed to something that might make me just feel a bit better.

This diamond was already purchased and reset as my upgraded engagement ring. I could not buy another diamond from the great vendors that everyone suggested because I wanted to trade in my previous diamond (0.83 uncertified diamond if anyone recalls my previous posts). So, I had to do it with the local jeweler and go with what she had in stock.

I guess I could have at least negotiated down the diamond price by comparing it to the great diamonds everyone found, but it didn''t dawn on me at the time. ok.. now I''m just ranting but if there is ever an occasion where I could purchase a loose diamond online, I will rely on PS first and foremost. I just hope that I can mentally be happy with what I have because my main requirement was to have something visibly larger than the previous diamond.

Thanks for listening to my rambling.

Figured there must be more to the story. Can I ask why you couldn''t have asked the jeweler to pull in some better stones for you?

huangt0n

Rough_Rock
Neatfreak,

They did not have many options. There was a 1.3 with the same price range and the 1.5 I selected. To the eye they both looked very similar and it looked like a good diamond because they both shined well. I guess I just went with the larger sized diamond because I thought it was a better value than the 1.3. Hopefully it was the right choice if the 1.5 faces up like a 1.4, which is still larger than the other option 1.3.

I wish I did it a bit differently, but I felt as if I did not have options such as buying the diamond online. : (
If I knew about PS earlier, I would have called Whiteflash and done the whole process there.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/8/2008 11:11:55 AM
Neatfreak,

They did not have many options. There was a 1.3 with the same price range and the 1.5 I selected. To the eye they both looked very similar and it looked like a good diamond because they both shined well. I guess I just went with the larger sized diamond because I thought it was a better value than the 1.3. Hopefully it was the right choice if the 1.5 faces up like a 1.4, which is still larger than the other option 1.3.

I wish I did it a bit differently, but I felt as if I did not have options such as buying the diamond online. : (

If I knew about PS earlier, I would have called Whiteflash and done the whole process there.

I understand that''s all they had in the store...but a diamond dealer/jewelry store can order in stones on memo...at least they should be able to! So you should have been able to get a better selection to choose from that way.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/8/2008 12:48:46 PM
Author: neatfreak

I understand that''s all they had in the store...but a diamond dealer/jewelry store can order in stones on memo...at least they should be able to! So you should have been able to get a better selection to choose from that way.
You should still be able to. Tell them you''ve done your homework, and want a better cut stone. There''s no reason they can''t call some in, every jewelery store can do that.

huangt0n

Rough_Rock
I trust everyone''s knowledge to decipher between a good stone and a bad stone. However, to the naked eye would I be able to tell a big difference? Does anyone have pictures comparing two diamonds but one is good and one is bad?

I think it might be too late to do anything and it''s my fault and I will have to eat the cost. They already let me trade in the diamond one time even though they did not have a policy for doing so. I also asked them to pay for the cost of the new prongs (labor and material) for the new engagement ring.

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
Take a look here

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/color-or-cut-choice.101601/

it may not be quite as extreme - and there are well-performing deep diamonds, but you are taking some risk.

On the other hand, if you have seen the stone and you like it, that''s the main thing. There are (fortunately) few people obsessed with diamond cut, and even fewer of those live near you. None of them - so far - have gone around taking other people''s rings apart to look at them with their IdealScope, though most carry a loupe in their pockets or purses.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/8/2008 5:01:02 PM
I trust everyone''s knowledge to decipher between a good stone and a bad stone. However, to the naked eye would I be able to tell a big difference? Does anyone have pictures comparing two diamonds but one is good and one is bad?

I think it might be too late to do anything and it''s my fault and I will have to eat the cost. They already let me trade in the diamond one time even though they did not have a policy for doing so. I also asked them to pay for the cost of the new prongs (labor and material) for the new engagement ring.
Most likely, if you could see them together across the board of lighting situations. But, if you can''t upgrade this stone, then just don''t look. Seriously, if all you know is your diamond, then you will not know what you may be missing. And if the chance ever comes up to get a new one/different one, then look for an ideal cut.

Now, just enjoy your diamond.
2.gif
And we''d love to see pics of your ring!!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/8/2008 6:36:35 PM
Author: Ellen
Date: 12/8/2008 5:01:02 PM

Most likely, if you could see them together across the board of lighting situations. But, if you can''t upgrade this stone, then just don''t look. Seriously, if all you know is your diamond, then you will not know what you may be missing. And if the chance ever comes up to get a new one/different one, then look for an ideal cut.

Now, just enjoy your diamond.
2.gif
And we''d love to see pics of your ring!!

I agree with Ellen...if you think it''s a possiblity to upgrade, check it out. If not just enjoy your ring.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results