shape
carat
color
clarity

1.6mm instead of 2mm!

sabinameister

Shiny_Rock
I ordered what I was told by the saleswoman at my jewelers a 2mm solitaire ring. When we were looking at settings, and picking the stone she said the first thing she would do would be to bump the shank mm size to a 2. I said great, but didn’t know what mm the show ring was.

I got the ring 5 weeks later, and I thought it looked really dainty and a bit thinner than the matching wedding band that was ordered in a 2mm. I did t say anything regretfully thinking it’s fine, maybe it’s just my eyes playing tricks on me etc…

I had my husband use his calipers to measure the shank today and it’s at 1.6mm for a 2.51 carat diamond. I’m going in Tuesday to get the prongs tightened as I noticed through taking ring photos that the 12 and 6 o’clock prongs weren’t touching the diamond flat. How do I bring up this shank width issue? I’ve had the ring for 2 weeks, and am not good at standing up for myself. Ugh Do I need to be worried about durability?

IMG_4769.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4625.jpeg
    IMG_4625.jpeg
    103.8 KB · Views: 51
This is the classic PS thread on the topic of ring durability: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/are-rings-too-thin-these-days.155780/

If you wanted 2mm, you should get 2mm, regardless of the durability or not of the 1.6mm. Do you have it in writing anywhere that it's supposed to be 2mm?

I looked at the sales receipt and it does not have a note about size, just 14kw tulip solitaire setting. The appraisal paperwork doesn’t state the shank mm either. I might just say that I noticed the ring looks smaller than the wedding band, and ask her to measure it and then bring up that she was supposed to order it in 2mm and go from there.

I looked at the sales receipt and it does not have a note about size, just 14kw tulip solitaire setting. The appraisal paperwork doesn’t state the shank mm either. I might just say that I noticed the ring looks smaller than the wedding band, and ask her to measure it and then bring up that she was supposed to order it in 2mm and go from there.

We'll see what advice other people have for how to have the conversation, but I just want to wish you luck with this! I'm not good at confrontation either so I'm sending you strength and positivity!

Don’t be afraid. Absolutely go in and speak with the associate that helped you. You could start off by saying how much you like the setting, however you see that it is thinner than the 2mm that was agreed upon. You can mention that you verified the width with your calipers. See what she says, after all it was her suggestion to bump it up to 2mm for durability. I’m sure she’ll measure it as well. I would make it clear that you expect it to be 2mm, not “oh it’s close”. That’s a large head on a thin shank.
Good luck and don’t forget, it’s in their best interest to make you happy. Beautiful ring btw!

good luck
im not the best in this sort of situation either
but remember this is a life time purchase
it has to be perfect

I am concerned about durability of the entire style, especially knowing how thin the shank is, which I mentioned before. Definitely talk to the jeweler about it.

I am concerned about durability of the entire style, especially knowing how thin the shank is, which I mentioned before. Definitely talk to the jeweler about it.

Yes the more I think about it, the more I see that. The saleswoman did suggest cathedral, but I’ve had cathedral settings before, and wanted something different. I just hope she’s open to my concerns and doesn’t try to blame me somehow. I’m so displeased. I’ve always gone to small non chain stores and have had some kind of issue.

II went in today and explained to the saleswoman how I felt that my shank was too thin. She apologized! She is remaking my ring in 2mm and promised it on 2.5 weeks! I’m so happy!!

It’s sad that I was so nervous about it. I’m IMG_5090.jpega 46 year old woman! Of course my new scattered wedding band arrived today when I got home, so alas I will have to wait a couple weeks to have them together.

Yay! See? That wasn’t so bad was it?
Can’t wait to see the new iteration!

Here’s the updated ring I picked up today. The claw prongs are so much better and the 2mm is a great width for me and alongside my 3mm scattered diamond band. IMG_5330.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5329.jpeg
    IMG_5329.jpeg
    147.2 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_5319.jpeg
    IMG_5319.jpeg
    217.5 KB · Views: 42
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP