shape
carat
color
clarity

$100k budget engagement ring: Distinctive Gem Review

aquarium

Rough_Rock
First time poster, so apologies if this is in the wrong forum. Wanted to leave a review for Jon Weingarten at Distinctive Gem, aka Rhino. This might have been the best ~$100k I've ever spent. Wow. Not something I say lightly, as I've always been very careful with my hard-earned money.

With a very large budget, I understandably wanted to get the perfect engagement ring for my fiancée. She only gave me a few loose parameters, and I was responsible for picking the final stone: 3-4 carat, mined diamond, elongated cushion cut, with no "crushed ice" (i.e. she wanted a diamond that flashes chunky facets similar to how a round diamond performs), simple setting. Easy enough, I thought.

Boy, was I in for a surprise.

Over the course of a few months, I saw over 70+ diamonds in-person in the NYC diamond district - not counting the 100s more I saw on online direct-to-consumer retailers like James Allen, Blue Nile etc - in addition to asking over 10 individual jewelers' concierges to personally source me what I was looking.

It turns out, finding an excellent-cut rectangular cushion without "crushed ice" is very difficult. Apparently, it's a physics problem - there are tradeoffs between quality of cut and length/width ratio in rectangular cushions: as you stretch the shape, light performance suffers. Also, 99% of diamond cutters will cut to retain carat weight, and not necessarily light performance. This desire to save weight results in nearly all elongated cushions cut with the "crushed ice" effect, to varying degrees: the tiny, muddled facets visible through the table of the diamond, caused by a perimeter of weigh-saving extra facets around the pavilion. Most diamond cutters would rather cut a larger/heavier but uglier diamond - it makes them more money. Because most consumers care about having a bigger stone, not light performance. I was trying to find someone willing to do something crazy: cut a diamond strictly for beauty, even it meant shaving off more than half a carat in weight.

I'd estimate I spent over 100+ hours trying to find the perfect diamond, on the phone with famous/well-known jewelers, poring over ASETs. This process almost drove me crazy! See the attached spreadsheet of the 70+ diamonds I saw, stack-ranked.I saw some gorgeous 8-main pavilion elongated Cushion Brilliants (without the crushed ice, given the clean pavilion plots), but they were very rare (I found maybe only 4 total within spec), and all of them weren't colorless. I wasn't satisfied with anything on the market after 2 months of searching. Eventually, I realized I had to go custom.

Deep in these forums, I found Jon from August Vintage/Distinctive Gem, who had made a name for himself cutting diamonds strictly for light performance, specifically Antique Cushions (large chunky facets, no "crushed ice") and Elyque Ovals with no "crushed ice".

Over the course of the next 2 months, I was blown away. Jon sourced a 4+ carat colorless diamond, and re-cut it down to 3.5 carats. Zero crushed ice. Beautiful, perfectly symmetrical facets in the ASET. If you look closely, you can see "arrows" along the center and diagonals of the diamond - which are normally only available in square cushions or round diamonds. Truly remarkable. I think in my whole search, I only found a couple jewelers in the world who have cut diamonds like this - Jon is one of them. He broke the laws the physics!

I won't mention how above and beyond Jon went on customer service, delivering to me a "first of its kind" diamond in record time with a personalized setting. Without exaggeration, I think I saw every single 3.5+ carat rectangular cushion in the diamond market over those 2 months. It was an exhaustive, purely meritocratic process - and Jon came out on top. My fiancée marvels at her ring every day. It'll be an heirloom piece.

The cherry on top: I took the diamond to an independent appraiser (Gemological Appraisal Laboratory of America in NYC) to get an insurance quote. The appraiser hadn't seen anything like it, and appraised it for $10k MORE than what Jon charged me for it. I only told her what I paid after she gave me an appraisal. She said I was "crazy for shaving 50 points of weight" to get a better cut!

Not only is Jon just a great guy, top to bottom, but more importantly: he delivered the #1 diamond in the market for an incredible value. This is what pure excellence looks like. I cannot recommend Jon highly enough.

Attachments

• IMG_3206.jpg
    IMG_3206.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 536
  • IMG_3204.jpg
    IMG_3204.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 197
  • Diamond search.jpg
    Diamond search.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 193
Welcome to PriceScope and congratulations to you and your fiancée, aquarium!
Wow, so glad that you were able to get an awesome diamond at a great price - Jon is great...I've chatted with him and I'm still in possible talks to do business with him (men's ring, but some potential design hiccups causing delays).

Your fiancée's ring looks great!

Wow, first off I’m impressed that you put so much effort into your fiancée’s ring! It is absolutely stunning and perfect!

Thanks for sharing your story and pictures! The diamond looks amazing and hope your fiancée is loving her beautiful ring!

Wow!

Thank you all for the nice sentiments! Going to be honest, it was quite a rabbit hole I fell down. I'm so grateful to the wealth of knowledge in these forums.

Also, something I forgot to mention - as a bonus, Jon cut a nearly exact copy of this 3.5 mined colorless diamond - but lab-grown instead - as a "travel ring". They are nearly indistinguishable. I was impressed he was able to replicate the precision in the cut quality for the mined diamond.

Pictures (low light, sorry!) below, with both re-set in gold bands after we got engaged!

Attachments

• IMG_2742.JPG
    IMG_2742.JPG
    131.8 KB · Views: 184
What is the color/clarity of the natural diamond?

Wow! Congratulations to you both! It’s stunning!

Congratulations to both of you! The diamond is gorgeous!

Incredible. Thanks for sharing your journey and ring with us.

Beautiful ring!

DG is great. Shows that it is possible to have fancy cuts that still have good light performance.

Well done!
More pics in different light conditions are definitely in order :)

1. Here's a 4 minute video of the mined diamond in different light conditions that Jon made for me - I tried to take some more iPhone pics this morning, but that's a skill I lack, so this is probably for the better!

2. Here are the digital ASETs of the mined (left) vs lab (right). Both 1.20 length/width ratio, identical settings. I had joked with Jon my biggest fear was the mined diamond ending up cut "worse" than the lab, relegating the mined diamond to sitting in the safe for eternity :)
mined vs lab.jpg

Congratulations on your beautiful fireball!

I've had a few excellent transactions with Jonathan.
Great guy, and some extraordinarily well-cut diamonds!!! :clap:

Last edited:
I Also have worked with Jon and he was wonderful!

What a beautiful, brilliant diamond (x2). Love the diamond! Also love how dedicated you were to find her the best you could get for her.

That has to be one of the most beautiful diamonds that I’ve ever seen on the forum!

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP