carat
color
clarity

60/60 Diamonds - What you Need to Know to Avoid Dissappontment

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
60/60 Diamonds

You may have heard the term "60/60" diamonds. If not, you have probably seen some if you have been diamond shopping. These are diamonds with a 60% table and 60% depth percentage, or numbers very close. Diamonds in this proportion range can potentially get the highest cut grade from GIA (Excellent). They can even get an AGS Ideal grade, though much less likely. But there is more to know about 60/60 diamonds to avoid some pitfalls.

There was a time in the not-too-distant past (before overall cut grades were provided on laboratory reports) when “60/60” was a kind of shorthand for a well cut diamond. At the time it was not uncommon for tables to extend to 65% and beyond. Cutting a large table and shallow crown helped manufacturers retain maximum weight from the most common rough – the octahedron. They would saw the stone in two and cut one large stone with a large table/shallow crown and a second stone that would be larger (outlined in red in the illustration below) than if they had put a fuller crown/smaller table on the primary stone. The improved overall yield significantly helped the cutter’s bottom line, even though in most cases the diamonds suffered some light performance deficits.

1729012606767.png1729012624549.png

A large table has the effect of making the crown shallow. Although this can increase spread (outside diameter) it reduces the crown’s ability to gather light and to disperse light into its spectral colors. Thus the diamond tends to be lacking in colored sparkles , otherwise known as “fire”. Marcel Tolkowsky had demonstrated mathematically the benefits of a smaller table and fuller crown decades earlier, but cutting for yield over beauty is a practice that has been slow to die.
1729012828982.png
A large table reduces the surface area of the crown which is the part of the diamond that gathers light, especially from lower angles. The large table also reduces the size of the crown facets which reduces the size of the virtual facets that we see in the white and colored sparkles that are returned to the eye. And it is the crown facets that fan light out into the different colors of the spectrum after internal reflection and upon exiting the diamond and returning to the eye. A well cut 60/60 diamond can often be very bright with a good quantity of light return, but the quality of that light typically suffers from reduced fire (colored sparkles). A large table can also throw a lot of glare from certain angles, which is technically light return, but it’s not a positive form of light performance.

60/60 Diamonds - Pros and Cons
Increased Yield and Spread
A cutter can improve yield by cutting a primary stone with a flat crown, thereby allowing for a bigger secondary stone. This tends to benefit the manufacturer; not necessarily the consumer.

Bigger tables with shallower crowns, if appropriately proportioned with a precision cut, can deliver outstanding white light return, but at the expense of some fire. As the top gets flatter the diamond performs more like a mirror and less like a prism.

A 60 percent table with a shallow crown and less depth than is typically required by a bigger crown can potentially be “spready”. That is, the weight is spread out over a larger diameter allowing the diamond to be slightly bigger in terms of outer dimensions.

The Trade-off
As the table gets bigger, the surface area of the crown is diminished and crown facets become smaller. Since crown facets are instrumental in producing fire (colored sparkles), a 60/60 will usually not display as much fire as a well cut diamond with a fuller crown.

Diamonds with lower crown heights are not able to tolerate tilt angles as well. The unattractive “fish eye “effect where the girdle reflection is visible at a small degree of tilt is more of a concern in diamonds with larger tables/lower crowns.

The larger table facet will also throw bigger glare from a wider range of viewing angles. Glare will tend to conceal some of the positive aspects of light performance such as fire and scintillation.

To some extent, as the table size increases inclusions become easier to see as the camouflaging crown facets are reduced. Think of an emerald cut with its traditionally large table facet and how revealing it is in terms of clarity features.

Conclusion
60/60 diamonds can be very nice. If cut with precision they can be very bright and spready. But as this proportion set occupies a place at the margins of what can be considered Ideal, it is highly recommended to verify actual performance with ASET and/or IdealScope.

What are your thoughts on 60/60 diamonds? Are they worth the trade-offs?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's an interesting subject to me Bryan!!
When I was learning to grade diamonds at Harry Winston, back in the 1800's .....ok, the 1970's.....
Back then, determining the "best" cut was done pretty much by eye.
Patterning- Hearts and Arrows...were not really the goal as much a scintillation.
AS Bryan pointed out- many cutters were using techniques to increase yeild, at the expense of beauty. There were a lot more poorly cut stones on the market back then- or at least I saw a lot more. Large tables, deep, or shallow stones....were more common than we see today.
The 60/60's which were prized and sold at the House of Winston were NOT cut to save weight per se. They had an ample crown size. I've gotten into countless "discussions" here about which is better.......when done right, there's no inherent downsides or trade offs to a 60/60.
Lazaare Kaplan was a pioneer in smaller tabled "Ideal Cut" iirc.
Nowadays, using advanced imaging ( ASET ie) we can get a much more accurate picture of exactly what's going on in there.
The market has shifted in a way that's both good and not so much IMO,.
The average cut is way better. But maybe something was lost in the rush to smaller tables.....
I don't have one in hand to compare- but I'd bet that one of WInston's prime 60/60's of the day would compare favorably to a "Super Ideal" cut of today.

Worth it? Hard to say. I had a 60/60 diamond years ago without realizing it. It was my first diamond with a GIA report. Back then, it seemed that you were buying carat weight, color and clarity. Jewelers presented no more information than that - even with a GIA report. It obviously was a poorly cut one and as time went on, I realized it was just a dull diamond. I didn’t know why, couldn’t figure out why it didn’t sparkle, had no good source of information. I traded it in on a larger diamond that was probably just marginally better. It was about that time that I found PS and started to FINALLY understand what was missing in my diamonds! Hallelujah! It was awhile before I was able to move into the super ideal realm but wow- like balm to a wounded soul - lol!
I am quite sure that @Rockdiamond is correct that there were and are are some outstanding 60/60 diamonds. Bright and brilliant sounds really beautiful unless you really value fire. Having both is just icing on the cake to me. I would love, however, to see some images and pictures of well cut 60/60 diamonds. It would be very educational and helpful to those considering their purchase.
As an aside, any idea what flavor or combination of flavors Harry Winston sells today? Just wondering if they stuck with 60/60 or have they migrated to something different?

I had a 60/60 diamond years ago without realizing it.

Just curious....but did you actually notice the proportions on the GIA report?
I guess I'm just asking- are you sure it was a 60/60?

As an aside, any idea what flavor or combination of flavors Harry Winston sells today?

I'd love to know the answer to this!!
When I worked there, Mr Winston passed away. He had two sons, and they weren't on the same page. The company dissolved much of the loose diamond business. In 1976, HW was the worlds largest diamond dealer. By 1980, they were not......
I lost touch with anyone who stayed at Winston- still have lots of great friends who worked there and left......

Just curious....but did you actually notice the proportions on the GIA report?
I guess I'm just asking- are you sure it was a 60/60?

I'd love to know the answer to this!!
When I worked there, Mr Winston passed away. He had two sons, and they weren't on the same page. The company dissolved much of the loose diamond business. In 1976, HW was the worlds largest diamond dealer. By 1980, they were not......
I lost touch with anyone who stayed at Winston- still have lots of great friends who worked there and left......

Yes, the report had table and depth numbers. It wasn’t exactly 60/60 - more like 59 something and maybe 60 something. It was an old GIA report. Not sure there were any other numbers. It was a 1.82 and an H, SI1. I thought it was dull because of the color but obviously couldn’t have been more wrong. I am sure it was a poorly cut diamond altogether but it was my only experience with that type of diamond. I had several trades - one I remember having a very dark center. No cert on that one but clearly not a well cut diamond either.
Interesting about Winston - I never knew much about the company. Interesting that the sons veered away from his business practice but the next generation always wants different. Look at Rupert and sons . . .

It wasn’t exactly 60/60 - more like 59 something and maybe 60 something.
When I quoted the word "discussions" it was because there were "cut wars" here on PS.
It got nasty.
I love Super Ideal Diamonds. We were a "Crafted by Infinity" dealer way back when.
I understand the appeal.
But I also love stones that would be agreed by all to be well cut, but ASET might point out minor "deficiencies".
That's where it diverges- because I don't necessarily find minor leakage, as identified by ASET to be a defect.
BUt back to the quoted part- what happened back then was people piling on telling us how horrible their "60/60" diamond was when in fact, the stones they had were nothing like a well cut 60/60.
I don't blame you a bit @MissGotRocks !
Because reading a lot of what is written, its easy to lump things together.
59 depth 61 table sounds close but can be waaaaaaay off...
Even stones that have 60% table and depth can be poorly cut......there's a lot of factors at play

As an aside, any idea what flavor or combination of flavors Harry Winston sells today? Just wondering if they stuck with 60/60 or have they migrated to something different?
Here's a pre-owned HW from 2019 ~ Firey 57 .. inert/none :cry2:
hw list.PNGhw1.4gia.PNGpkghw.PNG

When I quoted the word "discussions" it was because there were "cut wars" here on PS.
It got nasty.
I love Super Ideal Diamonds. We were a "Crafted by Infinity" dealer way back when.
I understand the appeal.
But I also love stones that would be agreed by all to be well cut, but ASET might point out minor "deficiencies".
That's where it diverges- because I don't necessarily find minor leakage, as identified by ASET to be a defect.
BUt back to the quoted part- what happened back then was people piling on telling us how horrible their "60/60" diamond was when in fact, the stones they had were nothing like a well cut 60/60.
I don't blame you a bit @MissGotRocks !
Because reading a lot of what is written, its easy to lump things together.
59 depth 61 table sounds close but can be waaaaaaay off...
Even stones that have 60% table and depth can be poorly cut......there's a lot of factors at play

Totally understood. Folks don’t realize that a bit here or a bit there can make a huge difference! If you run across a well cut 60/60, I would love to see pics or images!

My ER stone was a 60/60 and it was the most beautiful, white sparkly stone. It didn’t have much fire but it made up for it in sparkle. When I had to replace it I was so used to how much it sparkled that I never could make a decision on a new stone - they all felt flat.
I started educating myself on PS (thank you all so much) and took a shot at a super ideal. It was a shock to see so many colors -and it still takes me by surprise every time I walk into a store. I’m obsessed with it. But…. as much as I love my new stone - I still pine for the bright white flashes of my 60/60.

60/60 Diamonds

You may have heard the term "60/60" diamonds. If not, you have probably seen some if you have been diamond shopping. These are diamonds with a 60% table and 60% depth percentage, or numbers very close. Diamonds in this proportion range can potentially get the highest cut grade from GIA (Excellent). They can even get an AGS Ideal grade, though much less likely. But there is more to know about 60/60 diamonds to avoid some pitfalls.

There was a time in the not-too-distant past (before overall cut grades were provided on laboratory reports) when “60/60” was a kind of shorthand for a well cut diamond. At the time it was not uncommon for tables to extend to 65% and beyond. Cutting a large table and shallow crown helped manufacturers retain maximum weight from the most common rough – the octahedron. They would saw the stone in two and cut one large stone with a large table/shallow crown and a second stone that would be larger (outlined in red in the illustration below) than if they had put a fuller crown/smaller table on the primary stone. The improved overall yield significantly helped the cutter’s bottom line, even though in most cases the diamonds suffered some light performance deficits.

1729012606767.png1729012624549.png

A large table has the effect of making the crown shallow. Although this can increase spread (outside diameter) it reduces the crown’s ability to gather light and to disperse light into its spectral colors. Thus the diamond tends to be lacking in colored sparkles , otherwise known as “fire”. Marcel Tolkowsky had demonstrated mathematically the benefits of a smaller table and fuller crown decades earlier, but cutting for yield over beauty is a practice that has been slow to die.
1729012828982.png
A large table reduces the surface area of the crown which is the part of the diamond that gathers light, especially from lower angles. The large table also reduces the size of the crown facets which reduces the size of the virtual facets that we see in the white and colored sparkles that are returned to the eye. And it is the crown facets that fan light out into the different colors of the spectrum after internal reflection and upon exiting the diamond and returning to the eye. A well cut 60/60 diamond can often be very bright with a good quantity of light return, but the quality of that light typically suffers from reduced fire (colored sparkles). A large table can also throw a lot of glare from certain angles, which is technically light return, but it’s not a positive form of light performance.

60/60 Diamonds - Pros and Cons
Increased Yield and Spread
A cutter can improve yield by cutting a primary stone with a flat crown, thereby allowing for a bigger secondary stone. This tends to benefit the manufacturer; not necessarily the consumer.

Bigger tables with shallower crowns, if appropriately proportioned with a precision cut, can deliver outstanding white light return, but at the expense of some fire. As the top gets flatter the diamond performs more like a mirror and less like a prism.

A 60 percent table with a shallow crown and less depth than is typically required by a bigger crown can potentially be “spready”. That is, the weight is spread out over a larger diameter allowing the diamond to be slightly bigger in terms of outer dimensions.

The Trade-off
As the table gets bigger, the surface area of the crown is diminished and crown facets become smaller. Since crown facets are instrumental in producing fire (colored sparkles), a 60/60 will usually not display as much fire as a well cut diamond with a fuller crown.

Diamonds with lower crown heights are not able to tolerate tilt angles as well. The unattractive “fish eye “effect where the girdle reflection is visible at a small degree of tilt is more of a concern in diamonds with larger tables/lower crowns.

The larger table facet will also throw bigger glare from a wider range of viewing angles. Glare will tend to conceal some of the positive aspects of light performance such as fire and scintillation.

To some extent, as the table size increases inclusions become easier to see as the camouflaging crown facets are reduced. Think of an emerald cut with its traditionally large table facet and how revealing it is in terms of clarity features.

Conclusion
60/60 diamonds can be very nice. If cut with precision they can be very bright and spready. But as this proportion set occupies a place at the margins of what can be considered Ideal, it is highly recommended to verify actual performance with ASET and/or IdealScope.

What are your thoughts on 60/60 diamonds? Are they worth the trade-offs?

My short view, as a consumer who usually does not favour RBs, is that I think they are excellent for earrings as they face up with consistent, uniform, brightness, without getting dirty as quickly as they would on a ring (and thus lose brightness) - tilt is far less of an issue when stuck on the earlobes!

I have two pairs of round studs: one is a chunky high-crowned pair of antique OECs around N/O/P faint brown - these are super lively with tons of fire and twinkle; and a pair of 60-60 RBs which show off their perfectly round shape, aggressive brightness, great spread, and even light return (and arrows) in bezels. A foot in each camp!

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP