shape
carat
color
clarity

A ballerina black opal for me!

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I’ve always wanted a ballerina ring but every jeweller I’ve had, has side eyed me and told me it’s in poor taste when I ponder setting one of my faceted gems in that style. I go from being inspired by Harry Winston to the ballerina style which they find bizarre. But still it has always been in the back of my mind that it’s something I would love to add to my collection. One of my first rings was a CZ ballerina style ring with a lifeless dark blue stone that was meant to emulate a sapphire (and you wonder why I have issues with blue sapphires). I hated the blue but thoroughly enjoyed that setting as a kid.

Anyways, back to the point! Recently on a trip to Japan I discovered that I was allowed to take photos of jewellery in shops which is a far cry from Australia where they are especially nasty about pictures!!!! Anyways I was having a lavender jadeite crisis but in the midst of that crisis I decided to take a bunch of pictures of this ballerina opal ring because I was super hyperactive and just overwhelmed by two levels of pre loved jewellery. I needed something to do to ground myself!

IMG_5808.jpegIMG_5809.jpegIMG_5815.jpegIMG_5814.jpeg

I REALLY loved the ring but as it was almost closing time and I didn’t have my passport with me, I headed back to the hotel to ask the kid for his opinion about the lavenders. Out of nowhere he asks me how much the opal is. I tell him and he informs meme excitedly that he’s going to buy it tomorrow.

Me: What??? Use up your life savings???

Him: YOU KNOW I LOVE OPALS! I watched an entire reality series on opal mining.

Me: But this is so random!

Him: I’m going to buy it Ma!

Me: But I saw it first! And you’ll use up a lot of your savings!

Him: But I want it!!!!!

Me: Hold on! Let’s think about this logically. I’ll buy it, wear it so that it does some work for us and you can inherit it from me one day.

Him: I guess that could work.

So we returned the next day and bought it! This is my very poor lighting at home. Not bad huh!!!

IMG_5872.jpegIMG_5871.jpegIMG_5873.jpeg

I should also add that I showed the kid several better opals with the red flashes that are supposed to be worth more and he still loves this one the best! So that’s a big win! I was always a bit melancholy when I had a boy that he wouldn’t be into gems like I was (and it’s such a big hobby of mine) but things work out in such interesting ways.

I love that your little boy is so into gems. If that doesn't justify your purchase then I don't know what will. There's nothing more heartwarming than having something you love and being able to share it with the people you love.

@mellowyellowgirl Ahh, an aurora on your finger. That is brilliant! It looks so good on you.
Love it that your son is interested in gems; my daughter too. She is always egging me on to buy the big ones :lickout::oops2:
Hope you are having a marvelous holiday in Japan! Any autumn colours?

Last edited:
I am still coverting a ballerina ring, hopefully, I shall have one with the EC Emerald that Jeff W will be cutting for me.

Some say it is dated, however, to me personally, it is a classic.

And your ring is gorgeous! :kiss2: :kiss2: :kiss2: , thanks for sharing.

DK :))

Don't shoot me, however, what's happened to the plan of getting smaller and more wearable rings?

DK :lol-2:

You were played! :P2

Sad to hear that some consider ballerina rings to be in poor taste (?!). I have always loved them! Yes, there are some bad examples -- but way more examples of other bad types of halos. I love the tapered baguettes and undulations. I associate the look within the higher jewelers like OH and the like.

That's a gorgeous opal and a spectacular ring in any book! It doesn't "need" the tutu but how else would you achieve your requisite ring width > finger width?!? =)2

So I’ve always wanted a ballerina ring but every jeweller I’ve had, has side eyed me and told me it’s in poor taste when I ponder setting one of my faceted gems in that style. I go from being inspired by Harry Winston to the ballerina style which they find bizarre. But still it has always been in the back of my mind that it’s something I would love to add to my collection. One of my first rings was a CZ ballerina style ring with a lifeless dark blue stone that was meant to emulate a sapphire (and you wonder why I have issues with blue sapphires). I hated the blue but thoroughly enjoyed that setting as a kid.

Anyways, back to the point! Recently on a trip to Japan I discovered that I was allowed to take photos of jewellery in shops which is a far cry from Australia where they are especially nasty about pictures!!!! Anyways I was having a lavender jadeite crisis but in the midst of that crisis I decided to take a bunch of pictures of this ballerina opal ring because I was super hyperactive and just overwhelmed by two levels of pre loved jewellery. I needed something to do to ground myself!

IMG_5808.jpegIMG_5809.jpegIMG_5815.jpegIMG_5814.jpeg

I REALLY loved the ring but as it was almost closing time and I didn’t have my passport with me, I headed back to the hotel to ask the kid for his opinion about the lavenders. Out of nowhere he asks me how much the opal is. I tell him and he informs meme excitedly that he’s going to buy it tomorrow.

Me: What??? Use up your life savings???

Him: YOU KNOW I LOVE OPALS! I watched an entire reality series on opal mining.

Me: But this is so random!

Him: I’m going to buy it Ma!

Me: But I saw it first! And you’ll use up a lot of your savings!

Him: But I want it!!!!!

Me: Hold on! Let’s think about this logically. I’ll buy it, wear it so that it does some work for us and you can inherit it from me one day.

Him: I guess that could work.

So we returned the next day and bought it! This is my very poor lighting at home. Not bad huh!!!

IMG_5872.jpegIMG_5871.jpegIMG_5873.jpeg

I should also add that I showed the kid several better opals with the red flashes that are supposed to be worth more and he still loves this one the best! So that’s a big win! I was always a bit melancholy when I had a boy that he wouldn’t be into gems like I was (and it’s such a big hobby of mine) but things work out in such interesting ways.

:appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :kiss2: :kiss2: :kiss2: :kiss2: :kiss2: :kiss2: :kiss2: :kiss2: :kiss2: :kiss2: :kiss2: :kiss2: :kiss2: :kiss2: :kiss2: :kiss2: :kiss2: :kiss2: :kiss2: :kiss2: :kiss2: :kiss2:

@mellowyellowgirl Ahh, an aurora on your finger. That is brilliant! It looks so good on you.
Love it that your son is interested in gems; my daughter too. She is always egging me on to buy the big ones :lickout::oops2:
Hope you are having a marvelous holiday in Japan! Any autumn colours?

Unfortunately Autumn has not arrived in Japan so it’s all green. We did a river cruise that was gorgeous but no Autumn scenery.

Don't shoot me, however, what's happened to the plan of getting smaller and more wearable rings?

DK :lol-2:

Haha that was only for an emerald that I was considering but I bought a jadeite rummage ring instead so all is good! Enough small rings to wear on the rummage hand for practical purposes.

Any ideas on what other ring I can wear it with? Another blue or green ring?

Would lavender jadeite work? Jadeite makes for a great rummage ring!

Any ideas on what other ring I can wear it with? Another blue or green ring?

Would lavender jadeite work? Jadeite makes for a great rummage ring!

Agree - jadeite. Great for rummaging or just looking good! Also because this ring is a phenomenal cab, it depends whether you want to focus on this ring or provide another focal point to compete with it. Jadeite is quieter and can hold its own so you can appreciate them side by side.
@mellowyellowgirl Thank you for creating a very important category of rings - rummage rings! That is exactly what I had in mind when I told my friend (who just bought a moonstone ring - she has 3 boys) that she shouldn’t wear it when digging around in a capacious bag.

It is absolutely gorgeous! I love it for so many reasons and how cool that your son loves gems.

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP