shape
carat
color
clarity

A bit overwhelmed...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lucky201

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

I have an appointment with Mark at ERD tomorrow, which I am very excited about. I am making my first diamond purchase ever, which will be for an engagement ring. I''ve been reading the forums and they have been a great help. However, I am definitely feeling like there is a lot more knowledge out there and a lot more to consider than I can really wrap my head around.

To give you an idea of what I am looking for, since it has changed a bit from my earlier posts, I would like a mostly white round cut stone, probably as low as I/J around a carat in size, give or take, clarity of SI2 or better as long as it is eye-clean and of course an excellent/ideal cut. The stone will be set in a setting similar to this, except it will be a trellis setting. So, given that I would definitely qualify myself as a newbie to the diamond buying world, what things should I keep in mind for my first serious viewig/potentially purchasing session tomorrow? Any/all advice is appreciated.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/4/2008 12:43:20 PM
Author:lucky201
Hi All,

I have an appointment with Mark at ERD tomorrow, which I am very excited about. I am making my first diamond purchase ever, which will be for an engagement ring. I've been reading the forums and they have been a great help. However, I am definitely feeling like there is a lot more knowledge out there and a lot more to consider than I can really wrap my head around.

To give you an idea of what I am looking for, since it has changed a bit from my earlier posts, I would like a mostly white round cut stone, probably as low as I/J around a carat in size, give or take, clarity of SI2 or better as long as it is eye-clean and of course an excellent/ideal cut. The stone will be set in a setting similar to this, except it will be a trellis setting. So, given that I would definitely qualify myself as a newbie to the diamond buying world, what things should I keep in mind for my first serious viewig/potentially purchasing session tomorrow? Any/all advice is appreciated.
Well you will be in excellent hands with Mark! As he can get hold of any type of diamond you care to mention, tell him what you want for colour, clarity, size etc and as for the cut, ask him to show you some AGS0 and some GIA Excellent cut grade or others which preferably score 2 or below on the HCA. That should help you find a well cut diamond. Then once you have seen some diamonds you like, check them out as carefully as you can in everyday lighting. I am not sure of what type of lighting set up Mark has when he sees clients, but look at the diamonds in normal light to see which ones ' pop' for you! As you are looking at SI2 clarity, check the diamonds carefully from all angles to see which suit you best for ' eyecleanliness.'

lucky201

Rough_Rock
Thanks Lorelei, does anyone else have any advice for my trip tomorrow? Is it typical to find the "right stone" on the first try? Or should I be thinking of tomorrow more as just a viewing session?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/4/2008 11:51:08 PM
Author: lucky201
Thanks Lorelei, does anyone else have any advice for my trip tomorrow? Is it typical to find the ''right stone'' on the first try? Or should I be thinking of tomorrow more as just a viewing session?
It could go either way! You might fall in love with one or not, but have fun!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/5/2008 6:34:42 AM
Author: Lorelei

Date: 12/4/2008 11:51:08 PM
Author: lucky201
Thanks Lorelei, does anyone else have any advice for my trip tomorrow? Is it typical to find the ''right stone'' on the first try? Or should I be thinking of tomorrow more as just a viewing session?
It could go either way! You might fall in love with one or not, but have fun!
And since you are a newbie, Lucky, I will let you in on the PS secret that what Lorelei says is always gospel, so just heed her advice to the letter and you will be a-okay!

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
if you are looking for a round stone i think you would be far better off dealing with Whiteflash or GOG. ERD is not the best place foe rounds

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results