shape
carat
color
clarity

A colourful bundle of joy - Lily ring by CRD

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
So this story begins last autumn although I didn't really know it back then, but you could say that's where the roots are. Because if that hadn't happened, this ring wouldn't exist today either.

Last autumn a beautiful spessartite pendant belonging to a fellow PSer was in search of a new home, and I was lucky enough to be selected as its new custodian. The pendant successfully made the journey across the pond and ever since then has been one of my signature pieces and has been stealing looks left and right (hellooo?, my eyes are up here! :lol: )

The problem, if you could call it that, was that it was made in yellow gold, and I mostly own white metals. The few yellow gold pieces I own are sentimental gifts and inherited pieces. Not to mention none of them had even a speck of orange. So it was obvious what I needed - a yellow gold ring with a spessartite stone to go with my lovely pendant.

Well this summer inspiration struck. I fell for the Lily ring by Cecile Raley Designs. Crushed hard on it, like a hormonal teenager. The design is flowery and allows for a lot of colour, which in turn allowed for my obsession to take over. After downloading, cutting and editing several dozen images, which resulted in 12 different variants of the ring, then bothering anyone and everyone who would listen to help me to narrow them down to two or three options, I finally made the jump and wrote to Yvonne.

Many here have worked with Yvonne previously and won't be at all surprised to read that the process was very pleasant and smooth. She helped me narrow my options down, advised me which colour combination looked best to her eyes, and sourced a spectacular spess to match the one I already have (if you're not impressed with that - consider, she did that only by photo).

Honestly, the entire process was so much fun - even the part where I was terribly stuck on choosing between two options for 2mm stones. I went as far as to enlist the help of the entire CS section in order to make that decision. You see, for many people, mainly those living in the US, it's a valid option to have stones shipped to you first, make your selection with your own eyes, and then move forward with the design. I, on the other hand, only had photos to work with. In a situation such as this it's a blessing to be able to trust the eye of the vendor.

The ring was ready at the end of August but only finally reached me yesterday. The local partnered carrier and their customs representation division nearly drove me mad in the process. Luckily all of this faded away when I opened the box to find this:

DSC03666.jpg

DSC03669.jpg

The ring is made in 14k yellow gold, to match my pendant. The centre stone is a 5mm untreated spessartite from Tanzania, and it is surrounded my 3mm minor oil Zambian emeralds and 2mm old stock untreated Burmese jedi spinels. All have matching brilliant cuts.

DSC03673-2.jpg
(Yes, those are lego flowers. :mrgreen:)

The spess Yvonne sourced is amazing. It is vibrant, and glowing, and neon. It's also amazingly clear and so crystalline. That doesn't translate very well in photos, so you'll have to trust my word. Tanzanian spessartite, for its amazing colour, is usually full of sugar, and this one tiny baby just isn't. I can see the difference very clearly when comparing it with my pendant (which is considered a generally clean stone, mind you).

In any case, the two are basically perfectly matched.

1727796286110673.jpg

DSC03683.jpg

DSC03684-2.jpg

I must say I'm very glad with the way the ring turned out. It's better than what I hoped for. All colours are vibrant and hold their own, but they don't overpower each other. Instead, they match harmoniously in... well, pretty much everything. Daylight, sunlight, low light, it doesn't matter. They always glow. Even if I stick the ring under the desk, they all still glow.

The jedis in particular make me unusually happy for their tiny size. I was initially a little bit worried that they would be distracting and pull attention away, but instead, maybe because they're so small, after all, they actually contribute as an extra focal point to the design.

Here are the rest of the photos. @mellowyellowgirl I have not forgotten my promise. I have to go to the store and find some oranges first, but I plan to get it done soon.

1727877737359297.jpg

1727877737910398.jpg

1727877738250432.jpg

1727877739209175.jpg

1727877739449871.jpg

1727877741234454.jpg

1727877740286568.jpg

Love it so much!

I had to go back and look for the lego flowers, my eyes were only on THE RING!!!!! She’s beautiful!

Oh, wow, what a beautiful, colorful ring! The style is so complimentary to the stones! Congrats on this gorgeous piece!

Those colours! And the match to your spess pendant FROM A PICTURE?!!! And also the design, the milgrain - it’s all just so flipping eye catching & beautiful!

What a glorious ring!

Very pretty! Love that you have a "set" to wear together!

Oh wow, that is gorgeous! I love the mixture of colors and the yellow gold.

What a juicy and jolly ring! It looks amazing on you! Enjoy!

I want to see outfit shots too! We should really get a real life styling thread going for all these pieces!

ETA: love love love the yellow gold and that you went for it! I think white is the safe option to default to but it can be so cold against these types of colours! I recently bought a bunch of YG stuff too and it’s initially difficult to jump off the white cliff into the yellow! Haha somehow it makes me feel better seeing others embrace YG too!

:love:I love the whole suite. The colors make me happy as a perfect *pop*.
The dimensionality of the petals are just <3 I hope they make you smile just as much.

Such a beautiful ring and I love the pop of colors and the whole design. Yvonne's eye for the stones is perfectly described and her bench does a great job too.

HI:

Beautifully crafted! Such a happy ring--enjoy!!!!!

cheers--Sharon

Thank you so much for the kind words, ladies! ::)

Love it so much!

@Dreamer_D Coming from you, this is quite the compliment, I hope you know that.

I had to go back and look for the lego flowers, my eyes were only on THE RING!!!!! She’s beautiful!

I thought the lego flowers might raise an eyebrow or two because I'm not sure if the botanical collection has gained much popularity in the US. In any case, they proved to be a perfectly suitable photo setting and background. :D

Oh, wow, what a beautiful, colorful ring! The style is so complimentary to the stones! Congrats on this gorgeous piece!

Thank you! ::)To be fully honest, and especially knowing how many Lily rings are owned by PSers, I think it's fair to say the style could be considered complimentary to almost any colour combination one might imagine. No wonder it's a best seller!

Those colours! And the match to your spess pendant FROM A PICTURE?!!! And also the design, the milgrain - it’s all just so flipping eye catching & beautiful!

Yes, from a picture! I was surprised just how similar the two stones ended up being, especially since I said from the start that I'm not after a perfect match, I'd be entirely satisfied just to have a bright orange stone. After all, one's on your neck, one's on your finger, who's gonna notice? I couldn't help that Yvonne had to go and do her magic. :lol:

What a glorious ring!
Very pretty! Love that you have a "set" to wear together!
Oh wow, that is gorgeous! I love the mixture of colors and the yellow gold.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! ::)

What a juicy and jolly ring! It looks amazing on you! Enjoy!

I want to see outfit shots too! We should really get a real life styling thread going for all these pieces!

ETA: love love love the yellow gold and that you went for it! I think white is the safe option to default to but it can be so cold against these types of colours! I recently bought a bunch of YG stuff too and it’s initially difficult to jump off the white cliff into the yellow! Haha somehow it makes me feel better seeing others embrace YG too!

Girl, you're gonna kill me. Outfits? I live on black jeans and cat t-shirts, what outfits? :lol:

But yeah, yellow gold is, in a way, the only viable option here. Not that you can't put a bright orange stone in white (you can put any colour in white), but it just begs for yellow. They complement each other. I'm lucky enough that my skin tone is quite warm and allows me to wear yellow gold without clashing.

:love:I love the whole suite. The colors make me happy as a perfect *pop*.
The dimensionality of the petals are just <3 I hope they make you smile just as much.

Thank you! They do, the whole ring makes me smile. And you know, you were the first person to mention, back when I got the pendant, that it was perfect for a signature piece. You ended up being entirely right! :D

Such a beautiful ring and I love the pop of colors and the whole design. Yvonne's eye for the stones is perfectly described and her bench does a great job too.
HI:

Beautifully crafted! Such a happy ring--enjoy!!!!!

cheers--Sharon

I'm very happy you appreciate it, thank you! ::)

So pretty, I almost want to eat it!

Those petals are beautifully sculpted

Dreamy!!! Enjoy it <3

Oh my! I love the colors! You and Yvonne did a really amazing job! Not a project with Yvonne is definitely on my bucket list!

Ohmygoodness, it’s just so delicious!!! :clap:

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP