shape
carat
color
clarity

A diamond fell out of this ring, best course of action?

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yesterday I was cleaning my rings before going out, and one of them was the star pink sapphire I bought for my birthday this year. I looked down and noticed one of the halo diamonds had fallen out, probably one of the worst feelings jewelry lovers can experience. We have a double sink and the water was mainly running in the first basin and by absolute luck the diamond was sitting in the second basin just out of reach of the water. Literally so freaking lucky, probably should have bought a lottery ticket!

Very thankful to still have the diamond! The ring is very old, the shank is a replacement and the bezels around the sapphire and diamonds are pretty worn. I knew this was a possibility so I'm not mad about it but trying to determine the best course of action for the long term.

I'm leaning toward having a whole new ring made for stability's sake but obviously, that would erase the history. If I have the diamond reset and repaired then the history is preserved but I would have to worry about the ring going forward. For now, I have the ring in a box and the diamond with it in a gem jar, not in a rush for a solution but just looking for some thoughts.

BE3C3740-8915-4E5A-BD3D-9C7837B1BA13.jpeg

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’m sorry for this! Looking on the bright side thank goodness you found the diamond. I too lost an entire antique ring in the sink garbage disposal while washing dishes. (Miraculous that I found it again.) In terms of repair, I’d consult David Klass who is approachable, trustworthy and practical. Good Luck.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ugh! So sad. How about reaching out to Sako to see if he can repair and strengthen while still keeping its authenticity?
No idea his fees, but worth the inquiry, especially since you love the antique-ness of it.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad to read you found the diamond!

I’d be tempted to inquire about a few !small! bead solder strategically and thoughtfully placed on each diamond rather than trying to rework the bezels.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
A skilled jeweler can (and should) repair this and make all the stones safer. But also, it's a good idea to take off your delicate rings and put them in a safe place before doing housework, especially housework that involves sinks.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A skilled jeweler can (and should) repair this and make all the stones safer. But also, it's a good idea to take off your delicate rings and put them in a safe place before doing housework, especially housework that involves sinks.

I think she said she was cleaning her rings, not doing housework

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had a ring that my jeweler told me was beyond repair bc all prongs were so worn down. I rarely wore it and ultimately decided to sell as is bc custom making a setting made it cost prohibitive. A good jeweler will be able to tell you if it can be salvaged.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @stracci2000, it really is a hold-your-breath moment!

@LightBright, my goodness so sorry about your lost ring. I was thinking Klass would be my first choice simply because he is affordable and does nice work.

@lala646 when I first got it I did check to make sure the stones were secure so maybe I was too aggressive when cleaning this time around but yes, it overall needs a good look over for sure. Of course, I won't be wearing it until it’s 100% safe to do so.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so, so glad you found the diamond! I think a good bench can do some repairs. When I first received my octopus brooch there was one small opal that was missing and I was able to have a new one put in and all the other small opals checked to make sure it was wearable.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Slickk, yeah really stinks losing a diamond but could have been so much worse. Sako is a master at restoring antiques from my understanding. Thanks for the suggestion.

@Rfisher, oh that is a great idea that I wouldn't have thought of so thank you for that.

@glitterata, I don't do any dishes or housework with my rings out, I was cleaning them and must have gotten too aggressive with the toothbrush. Well better to lose it in my sink than out and about anyway.

@nala, I've had a time finding a good jeweler to work with so ill probably have to send this out to get worked on.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
@glitterata, I don't do any dishes or housework with my rings out, I was cleaning them and must have gotten too aggressive with the toothbrush. Well better to lose it in my sink than out and about anyway.

Apologies! I must have read too fast. And yes, such good luck you found it!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
im so glad you found the diamond Yada
big PHEW ! there
good luck with the repair

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Catmom thank you, yes so glad I spotted the diamond before it was too late! Also glad you were able to repair your octopus, I always enjoy seeing new additions to your menagerie.

Thanks @Daisys and Diamonds it really was a “phew” moment. Eventually I will get it fixed but at least it’s safe and sound for now.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results