shape
carat
color
clarity

A green "Just Because" gift for Mom

Chasiu

Shiny_Rock
Over the last year or so, I have acquired multiple custom pieces to celebrate a milestone birthday this year and my 15th wedding anniversary. I love wearing them around the house even when I am just working from home, and my mom certainly notices them too lol. Earlier this year, I thought to myself, "Hey it's really not fair that my dad never buys any gifts for my mom and they have been together over 40 years." Of course there was the time he bought golf clubs "for her," but since she doesn't play, he "borrows" them when he plays of course :roll2:. As the only child, I took it upon myself to buy a big gift for my mom, because she deserves it; she does so much for me & my kids and I don't know what I would do without her. And I can certainly attribute the start of my love of jewelry from me digging through her drawers and playing with her velvet ring box (I may or may not have swiped a tiny ruby ring from her that my dad gave her when they first got married lol).

I told my mom that I wanted to get something nice for her so I asked her what color she would like. In true mom fashion, she tells me "just get something you like, it will be yours eventually" :lol-2: I was wearing my emerald toi & moi one day and my mom commented "You are BLINDING me with that!" Normally she just goes "ooh ahh" and doesn't comment so I figured that one particularly stuck out to her. So then I thought "I need to get her an emerald of her own!"

The first person I thought to reach out to was Dolly and told her I was searching for emeralds and to keep an eye out for some within my budget. Maybe like 2 weeks pass and she shows me some new stones she found and I quickly honed in on a 3.3ct Zambian emerald (uncerted). It was a little higher than the (arbitrary) budget I set but the size + color were right!

3.3ct Zambian Emerald.png

OK so now with the stone decided, I showed my mom a selection of ring styles (Solitaire, 3-stone, Halo, Pave, etc.) and asked what she liked best. She went with the pave shoulders for a low key but still blingy look, and I continued my convos with Dolly about the setting. My mom's ring size is smaller than mine, so we had to consider that in the future, we may need to size the ring up whenever it comes back to me, so the diamonds go 1/2 way around the shank to reduce the chance of stones popping out. I felt that 18k yellow gold bezel was the way to go to protect the edges, and personally I really love one of the antique 3-stone emerald rings she sold a while back (to @oldcutclubmember) so borrowed some of the basket details from there. At this point, there was nothing else to do but wait!

Of course I recognized the finished product last week when Dolly posted it up on her IG :kiss2:

240621 Emerald Ring.png

...And then yesterday afternoon, it arrived, with about 5 minutes to spare before I had to pick up the kids from their last day of school! So I tore open the package and marveled at it for a hot minute before I had to put it away and run out the door. Luckily it did actually fit on my ring finger too, so I was thrilled I can test drive it for a bit and take lots of glamour shots before gifting it to my mom :P2

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results