shape
carat
color
clarity

Aca and h&a question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Icce

Shiny_Rock
If one can only see the pattern through a speical viewer and there is no performance difference. What is the logic of paying more for his over just an ideal cut stone without the aca or h&a Don't get me wrong I like the pattern just wondering if there is something to it

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's easy to shop online when you're buying "the best."

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/5/2008 12:34:48 PM
Author:Icce
If one can only see the pattern through a speical viewer and there is no performance difference. What is the logic of paying more for his over just an ideal cut stone without the aca or h&a Don''t get me wrong I like the pattern just wondering if there is something to it
You can see arrows in some lighting, but for the consumer, some just like to know they are buying what to them is the '' best'', personal preference or what we call '' mind clean.''

Icce

Shiny_Rock
I get that but I am trying to figure out why the pattern mAkes it better ie. More brillant. Its a biiger size ideal cut or smaller ideal with A pattern? Does it look diff on the hand

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
If one can only see the pattern through a speical viewer and there is no performance difference.
The last time I tried the analogy...comparing your statement to the kind where someone says, who doth protest: "Just how often do they beat their wife?"... the comment was not appreciated...and still probably is not...but someone can help me please find a better analogy.

For those more heavily invested in H&A, they would not agree that there is no performance difference. But...therein does lie some controversy.

I don''t know that a simple pepsi test is the level of rigor that is required to satisfy answering the question.

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
In diamonds with top light return the benefits of optical symmetry are increased contrast and light getting in and out of the stone with more intensity, which can result in purer visible colors.

The level of precision can have value in terms of rarity. A ''true'' H&A diamond is rarer than non-H&A ideals. Just as some people value rarer colors or clarities the precision craftsmanship of a H&A diamond attracts fans. In my experience architects, engineers and (interestingly) musicians are often immediate fans of precision-cutting... Not the case with everyone, nor should it be.

To each his/her own. This is the case with basic shapes and sizes, fluorescence, colors, clarities and cut precision.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
What is the logic of paying more for his over just an ideal cut stone without the aca or h&a...
Adding on...Al, the new ambassador for WF, recently presented some data that pointed to the fact that there may be no real cost increment for getting the H&A, per se, anyway...once you have the rest.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
You can see the arrows with the naked eye fairly often IMO...not the perfect pattern you see online, but you can see them, so it''s not like you are paying for something you CAN''T see.

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
Icce, it might help to give a bit more info.

A Cut Above is about more than just the H&A pattern. A Cut Above is our branded H&A stone, but it takes more than just a true H&A pattern to earn our brand. Brian''s criteria for the brand include:

Must earn AGS0 grade
Must exhibit true H&A pattern
Must achieve visual balance and optimal light return across a wide range of lighting conditions
Must have true optical symmetry

In short, all A Cut Above stones exhibit true H&A patterns, but not all H&A stones would qualify to earn Brian''s brand.

A brand offers consistency of the product, and for those who value that consistency and excellence, the brand makes sense (just like it does with other well-known products).

In general, H&A itself doesn''t appear to carry much of a premium; if you do a search within the PS Cut Quality, you''ll see pretty comparable pricing among H&A and non H&A stones of like make. I think what you''re seeing is the premium that comes from an excellent make and not the H&A pattern.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
the artist formerly known as aljdewey
9.gif

About2ask

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/5/2008 1:19:14 PM
Author: neatfreak
You can see the arrows with the naked eye fairly often IMO...not the perfect pattern you see online, but you can see them, so it''s not like you are paying for something you CAN''T see.

Aren''t there some Ideal diamonds that are not considered H&A where the "arrows" can still be seen with the naked eye?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/5/2008 2:02:34 PM
Author: About2ask

You can see the arrows with the naked eye fairly often IMO...not the perfect pattern you see online, but you can see them, so it's not like you are paying for something you CAN'T see.

Aren't there some Ideal diamonds that are not considered H&A where the 'arrows' can still be seen with the naked eye?
Sure. You can even have a diamond which shows a strong arrow pattern which isn't considered to be a h&a diamond, there are some even which aren't so well cut which can show arrows. Also you can have excellently cut diamonds which don't show this pattern.

Icce

Shiny_Rock
Thanks all....What Allison D. said was what I needed to know. I was getting ACA anyways but I wasn't 100% sure why. I knew I wanted it and that the WF I was going to get would also guardtreen other things not just the pattern but I wasn't sure what. I know they are amoung the top stones and I needed more info....didn't mean to make it sound like I was saying it was just a pattern but I made it short as I was typing on my phone at work which isn't as easy as the keyboard.

Just needed a bit more info as I have never seen one in real life (a aca stone In Ontario that is)...just buying blindly with my honey's money :razz: hahahaha I can't wait

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock

Aren''t there some Ideal diamonds that are not considered H&A where the ''arrows'' can still be seen with the naked eye?
Yes, if interested start a new thread.
I don''t feel like the conversation getting mixed up with the wf brand and alj coming after me with a chain saw LOL (oldtimers joke nothing bad being said about Alj)

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/5/2008 3:45:22 PM
Author: strmrdr

Aren''t there some Ideal diamonds that are not considered H&A where the ''arrows'' can still be seen with the naked eye?
Yes, if interested start a new thread.
I don''t feel like the conversation getting mixed up with the wf brand and alj coming after me with a chain saw LOL (oldtimers joke nothing bad being said about Alj)
warm up that chain saw Alj !!
41.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results