shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice/Opinons on my W-X antique pear

Forestergal

Rough_Rock
Hello all!

First time poster (frequent redditor) and would love your feedback on my engagement ring. So I was dying to have a warm/visibly yellow antique pear cut diamond and I definitely found a beauty (W-X but with medium blue flor). When next to white stones you can definitely see it’s warmth and even when I set my 14k emerald ring on its side and put the diamond in the middle it looks yellow and warm!

So, attached is the semi-final version of the CAD of my dream setting. It’ll be a mashup of a bezel prong (not sure if the edge of the diamond is within the bezel or resting on the bezel & the prongs holding in the stone). It’s 18k yellow gold and the entire thing will be in a satin finish.

I decided to go this route because I wanted to honor the yellow tones and make it as warm as possible; however I keep wondering if I should ask for a golden bowl underneath as a last minute change? The MB fluorescence definitely makes it look closer to an ST in the sunlight and even barely noticeably yellow which I knew would be the case! I don’t mind that

essentially do you think this setting will compliment the color? I’m hoping the stone melts into the setting vs looking distinctly yellow or white. The small stones in the setting will be small white OEC

5C3E26E3-547F-409C-97E3-FA93BFA673AE.jpegA807D15E-7D48-4BAA-88A6-4E2000C839A1.jpegB67A9F30-2F92-4FD4-B493-C6FCB8354FCF.jpeg3002EE74-59F7-419D-9E61-BAA4031DE174.jpeg24F30C03-2AF4-46E8-A47F-5E15C3A212E8.jpeg

I’m hoping the stone melts into the setting vs looking distinctly yellow or white.
I enjoy the look of stone melting into setting in terms of colour as well.

In my opinion 18k YG is too richly yellow to permit that for your stone. I think even 14k would be too deep in colour.

If you aren’t allergic to nickel, there are many alloys of 18k white gold that look pale yellow in colour. If you search the forum for “unplated wg” you’ll find a number of threads and photos.

If you’re allergic to nickel (or you aren’t sure and prefer not to take the risk) you might explore 9k and 10k YG options.

Thanks so much for the reply! The jeweler mentioned that setting in 18k yellow gold would help bring out the warmth of the stone/amp up the yellow look. Which is definitely what I want because this stone is such a color-shifter (which I don’t mind/kinda like) Sadly hate white/platinum on my skin tone and have only ever owned yellow gold.

What effect do you think the 18k will have? Or what makes you suggest the unplated WG?

Thanks so much for the reply! The jeweler mentioned that setting in 18k yellow gold would help bring out the warmth of the stone/amp up the yellow look. Which is definitely what I want because this stone is such a color-shifter (which I don’t mind/kinda like) Sadly hate white/platinum on my skin tone and have only ever owned yellow gold.

What effect do you think the 18k will have? Or what makes you suggest the unplated WG?

Unplated WG can be anywhere from “icy white” to “pale yellow”. Your stone is pale yellow. 18k YG is rich yellow and your stone will not melt into it. It’ll be pretty, but if you want your stone to melt into the setting it won’t accomplish that.

Most jewellers wouldn’t offer unplated white gold as an option because they’ve never considered not plating white gold; leaving white gold unplated is a niche choice that just happens to be one option for fulfilling your stated request. If you choose the right alloy. Using 9k or 10k YG likely also fulfills that request. Search PS and check out some pictures.

Unplated WG can be anywhere from “icy white” to “pale yellow”. Your stone is pale yellow. 18k YG is rich yellow and your stone will not melt into it. It’ll be pretty, but if you want your stone to melt into the setting it won’t accomplish that.

Most jewellers wouldn’t offer unplated white gold as an option because they’ve never considered not plating white gold; leaving white gold unplated is a niche choice that just happens to fulfill your stated request. If you choose the right alloy. Search PS and check out some pictures.
Gotcha! Yes that makes sense. Maybe I don’t necessarily mean blending in then. Could be a cool idea though. I have seen unplated white gold in person before! I agree it can be creamy and would match well with my stone. I guess I do want it to appear as yellow as possible to mesh well with the 18k gold. I’m sure it’ll still appear pale/white in comparison. Just hoping the bezel/claw with amp up the yellow tone.

additional photo of my stone resting inside my 14k yellow gold band. I love the warmth/hue it picks up and I’m hoping the bezel/ 8-prong will help the stone pull a warm light-golden color (not a bright yellow)
B8D095F6-2468-4E09-AFFC-AD7A95C59A8F.jpeg

If you want to amp up the yellow as much as possible - a cup would certainly help with that, it does make it harder to clean though. A hole in the bottom or using a loose lattice structure rather than a solid sheet of metal makes cleaning a bit less problematic…

If you want to amp up the yellow as much as possible - a cup would certainly help with that, it does make it harder to clean though. A hole in the bottom or using a loose lattice structure rather than a solid sheet of metal makes cleaning a bit less problematic…
That’s a great point! I’ll have to ask my jeweler what options they can do. I know gold cups are an art form. I might just take whatever color it looks once it’s set too :D

I’m not an expert in these matters I just wanted to say I love the stones and the CAD. Be sure to show us the final product. One thing I don’t understand is that in the CAD, the side stones look so much smaller than the ones in your photo. Is that the case??

I’m not an expert in these matters I just wanted to say I love the stones and the CAD. Be sure to show us the final product. One thing I don’t understand is that in the CAD, the side stones look so much smaller than the ones in your photo. Is that the case??

Most definitely! The stones in the photo are actually two white OEC moissanite stones that I was just using for color comparison as I didn’t have any DEF diamonds to compare it to! The side stones will definitely be smaller :)

@caolsen has a juicy UV OMC diamond from alex parks that used to be set in yellow gold.

they don't "melt into each other" but the YG does seem to pump up the color. it is an OMC so quite different, but might help paint a picture

i think white gold could look great too, it depends on the alloy. i have 19k white gold that is very cool toned and quite white, and ive also had 14k white gold that was almost greenish...and then ive had 18k WG that was very pretty and a light creamy yellow....so as @yssie explained, they vary

but if you know you want buttery yellow gold, it could be beautiful. i think the bezel will help pull color into the stone - but stones vary. ive seen really low colored stones that actually show a decent amount of color contrast when set in YG

an old poster with a cupped light yellow pear...

@caolsen has a juicy UV OMC diamond from alex parks that used to be set in yellow gold.

they don't "melt into each other" but the YG does seem to pump up the color. it is an OMC so quite different, but might help paint a picture

i think white gold could look great too, it depends on the alloy. i have 19k white gold that is very cool toned and quite white, and ive also had 14k white gold that was almost greenish...and then ive had 18k WG that was very pretty and a light creamy yellow....so as @yssie explained, they vary

but if you know you want buttery yellow gold, it could be beautiful. i think the bezel will help pull color into the stone - but stones vary. ive seen really low colored stones that actually show a decent amount of color contrast when set in YG

Thanks so much! I assumed it would be kind of a “see once it’s set” kinda thing. I know all stones kinda have their own strengths and weakness along with different cuts etc.

Thanks so much! I assumed it would be kind of a “see once it’s set” kinda thing. I know all stones kinda have their own strengths and weakness along with different cuts etc.

I would poke around the forum and see what you can find to compare end results if you are worried. You may also be able to get creative - I'm thinking aluminum foil and gold nail polish...to see what it looks like wrapped around your stone.

Either way, the setting design is lovely. And so is that pear! I have a real soft spot for chubby pears with visible culets...

I would poke around the forum and see what you can find to compare end results if you are worried. You may also be able to get creative - I'm thinking aluminum foil and gold nail polish...to see what it looks like wrapped around your stone.

Either way, the setting design is lovely. And so is that pear! I have a real soft spot for chubby pears with visible culets...

Thanks that’s a great idea! I definitely need to dig a little. I just stumbled on here and recently got the newest revision of the CAD back so I thought “what a perfect time”

I too am a sucker for chubby pears! Honestly all pears lol

Here is said UV OMC in her new dancing shoes. The bezel is 18k YG and the rest is platinum.

08CE85D3-DD1D-41CB-B315-E48C226F0ED6.jpeg3AD4C78A-204B-4C81-9E0C-0C98F9AF7D6E.jpeg

And here is the same stone in the all yellow gold bezel she was in when I bought her from Alex Parks. I think the stone looked great in both rings - I was just hankering for something different with more finger coverage.

In neither of these was the stone in a cup, just a YG bezel. Good luck!
3716A656-2232-49B8-BF89-CDE54277F731.jpeg

Last edited:
additional photo of my stone resting inside my 14k yellow gold band. I love the warmth/hue it picks up and I’m hoping the bezel/ 8-prong will help the stone pull a warm light-golden color (not a bright yellow)
B8D095F6-2468-4E09-AFFC-AD7A95C59A8F.jpeg

One tiny thing to consider with cupping a pear. The point of a pear cut generally concentrates color, and with a cup the facets in the point can go dark. With a collett 8 prong setting, btw - love the CAD, I’d think you have enough metal to achieve the color pump you are hoping for.

I have had my 2.7 L VS pear in several bezels and when it was in a 18k bezel that was deep, I noticed the tip facets going dark…

Last edited:
I'm going to post a picture of my 14k satin finish yellow and white gold ring. The satin finish will knocked down a lot of the brightness of the yellow gold. I wonder if 14k will be yellow enough to enhance the color of the stone yet allow your pear to meld with the setting. I'm not sure if you can get both and may need to decide which is more important to you ... Getting more color out of your stone or having it meld into the setting. I think it will be pretty either way . I wonder if they can do an 18k cup and do the rest in 14k...or lower. May get a little too complicated.

Satin finish 14k yellow gold... Setting be DK

I'm going to post a picture of my 14k satin finish yellow and white gold ring. The satin finish will knocked down a lot of the brightness of the yellow gold. I wonder if 14k will be yellow enough to enhance the color of the stone yet allow your pear to meld with the setting. I'm not sure if you can get both and may need to decide which is more important to you ... Getting more color out of your stone or having it meld into the setting. I think it will be pretty either way . I wonder if they can do an 18k cup and do the rest in 14k...or lower. May get a little too complicated.

Satin finish 14k yellow gold... Setting be DK

I did not realize this was your ring! It is beautiful and I was recently using the shoulders as an example to DK for what I was looking for in terms of milgrain trim :)

Aw, thank you @Mreader ...I love that setting! Unfortunately, I took the ACA out to upgrade and had a lab-created colored stone
put in it (green). Not happy with the look now:(2. I plan on pulling the stone out sometime in the future and going back to a non-colored stone or maybe a light pink colored stone. Here it is with the green stone.:confused2: Just not as "wearable" and the green distracts
too much from the setting IMO.

snip1.png

Sorry for the threadjack @Forestergal !

Aw, thank you @Mreader ...I love that setting! Unfortunately, I took the ACA out to upgrade and had a lab-created colored stone
put in it (green). Not happy with the look now:(2. I plan on pulling the stone out sometime in the future and going back to a non-colored stone or maybe a light pink colored stone. Here it is with the green stone.:confused2: Just not as "wearable" and the green distracts

snip1.png

No worries at all honestly both versions are beautiful!!

snip1.png

I think it's still pretty but that ring just seems made for diamond :) I'm thinking with a brown modifier or pinkish tone! Kind of like the lab diamond that @YadaYadaYada recently bought. Did you have the green stone cut to spec? It seems it would be hard to easily swap a stone in a ring like that (sorry for the thread jack!).

Hey nice pear! So not as tinted but I have an N antique cushion. I had a whole thread about what gold to set It in. Just like you I wanted it to blend....I went for 18k peach gold in the end which is a 50/50 mix of rose and yellow. What about doing something like that and then doing a cup underneath in yellow gold to enhance the colour? For reference the wedding band underneath is a very rich 18k yellow gold.
34E7CD7F-1C58-4028-A5B5-A296A8D4D627.jpeg

65249684-4298-487F-9B0C-F02EBFAF56CA.jpeg

406FF716-5929-463A-A633-5BCA9D69E2A0.jpeg

Here is my GIA W-X set in 18k yellow gold! I love WX color diamonds. I set mine in 18k cuz I wanted to enhance the yellow.

a diamond of this color will never face up white. In any setting, to be honest. I think it’s best to embrace the gorgeous sunny color as best as you can, hence why I chose 18k yellow! :)

I also wanted to note that this setting is in a open basket or a 4 prong martini. So there is a lot of light coming in the bottom and not a lot of the setting enhancing the color of the diamond. I love it and think it looks pretty saturated !

Your ring is going to look stunning in 18k yellow, I love that tone on tone look. You might not need a full cup underneath to enhance it though.

Here is an example, I really wanted to bring out the yellow in my old mine cut, so apart from the engraved halo, the whole setting is 18k yellow including the undercarriage. I also bezeled it in yellow to get as much enhancement as I could.

767CE486-D602-4D56-BDF7-C76ECA5987F9.jpeg

EEAF6EDE-4EC6-4CE2-8711-B51B146F1D1A.jpeg

I also reset this ring from white to rose gold recently to enhance the color, it is much more apparent IRL than in pictures, for some reason my phone washes this stone out a bit.

Before:
B385EB87-97FB-4DE0-BCF5-33F9523FA3EC.jpeg

After:
AC0A5C05-DA30-4805-8EFC-5BA4559E8FEB.jpeg

65249684-4298-487F-9B0C-F02EBFAF56CA.jpeg

406FF716-5929-463A-A633-5BCA9D69E2A0.jpeg

Here is my GIA W-X set in 18k yellow gold! I love WX color diamonds. I set mine in 18k cuz I wanted to enhance the yellow.

a diamond of this color will never face up white. In any setting, to be honest. I think it’s best to embrace the gorgeous sunny color as best as you can, hence why I chose 18k yellow! :)

I also wanted to note that this setting is in a open basket or a 4 prong martini. So there is a lot of light coming in the bottom and not a lot of the setting enhancing the color of the diamond. I love it and think it looks pretty saturated !

Wow what a stunning color!! Ovals show soooo much warmth. I love it!

Your ring is going to look stunning in 18k yellow, I love that tone on tone look. You might not need a full cup underneath to enhance it though.

Here is an example, I really wanted to bring out the yellow in my old mine cut, so apart from the engraved halo, the whole setting is 18k yellow including the undercarriage. I also bezeled it in yellow to get as much enhancement as I could.

767CE486-D602-4D56-BDF7-C76ECA5987F9.jpeg

EEAF6EDE-4EC6-4CE2-8711-B51B146F1D1A.jpeg

I also reset this ring from white to rose gold recently to enhance the color, it is much more apparent IRL than in pictures, for some reason my phone washes this stone out a bit.

Before:
B385EB87-97FB-4DE0-BCF5-33F9523FA3EC.jpeg

After:
AC0A5C05-DA30-4805-8EFC-5BA4559E8FEB.jpeg

What a good idea! I love the re-set! I feel the same about my phone. It definitely doesn’t capture the true color of the stone.

I think it's still pretty but that ring just seems made for diamond :) I'm thinking with a brown modifier or pinkish tone! Kind of like the lab diamond that @YadaYadaYada recently bought. Did you have the green stone cut to spec? It seems it would be hard to easily swap a stone in a ring like that (sorry for the thread jack!).

Yes, I agree with you on stone color. I did have the green stone cut to spec. DK, who originally made the setting, swapped it out like
it was nothing. Very pleased with their work! Hope it can handle one more stone swap!

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP