shape
carat
color
clarity

advice regarding antique French OMC ring?

MiniMinerva

Shiny_Rock
Hi PS lovelies, I would really appreciate your advice please!

I just made a significant purchase (for me) and have finally joined your ranks with my first antique OMC ring! For anyone who was following, here is the original thread: 'Sako-sourced Late Victorian"Buttercup" ring hand-engraved "1889 Paris" *FEELERS*' https://www.pricescope.com/communit...ring-hand-engraved-1889-paris-feelers.283586/

The ring has arrived and she is gorgeous, but I am SO disappointed that I can’t wear her yet!! :cry2: It turns out she is actually half a size smaller than the expected 5.5+ and my chunky knuckles are unforgiving, especially during the summer. It had felt like a Cinderella moment when I confirmed that the 5.5+ size of this ring was halfway between 5.5 and 5.75 and I got out my sizers to make sure that would slide over my knuckle and it did! Unfortunately, halfway between 5.25 and 5.5 is another story, and not of the fairy-tale variety :lol: I have tried cold water and soap and think I could get the ring on, but I worry that would be an emergency room visit waiting to happen.

I spoke with a local jeweler with the best reviews I could find to ask about resizing, and they told me that stretching was NOT an option for a ring with any stones. They would only stretch solid bands, and said that rings with diamonds would need to be cut and material added in between. I asked whether they would then be able to match the gold color as it is a French antique, with an antique natural old-cut diamond and date engraving and they started sounding concerned. I got the impression they don’t feel terribly comfortable with antiques and old-cut diamonds as they are “delicate”? Perhaps they have had some bad experiences with old-cut antique rings? They did give me a ballpark quote of $100 and told me they couldn’t guarantee the gold color would match where they added material since the ring is an antique alloy.

Does this information sound right to you all? And is that quote the expected going rate for slight resizing? It sounded like a lot to me, but perhaps that’s because I’m on a postdoc salary and the purchase itself has emptied my piggy bank. Although tiny for PS, this is actually my biggest diamond so far and I would love to wear it! I suppose I could wear the ring on a necklace but that just doesn’t give the same feels or sparkle.

Please if you have any advice, I would appreciate it. I’ve been feeling a little disappointed and frustrated, and also a bit envious of everyone’s slender beautiful hands!

IMG_2412.png

Last edited:

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My first thought is that you shouldn't use that jeweler. My second thought was send it to Sako. But my third thought might be one that works for you. Perhaps a jeweler could shave out a bit of the gold from the inside of the shank? I think another PSer recently had that done. I guess it really depends on how much needs to be removed. Also, I'm surprised it couldn't be stretched a bit, but I've never had the need to investigate that. I would be very careful who I asked to do the work on the ring. It's a beautiful ring. I recall seeing it posted. Let's hope you can work this out. I'll see if I can figure out who had a rings shaved out a bit.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results