shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice with a silky / opalescent geuda sapphire

Alkonost

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,
I was wondering if you could help me find a silky geuda sapphire to buy. I remember seeing a Pricescope thread with some photos of these stones, but I have been having trouble finding any vendors who carry these with Google searches and I have absolutely no idea on what pricing is reasonable. I usually buy stones around 350 USD. I assume silky geuda would be cheaper than regular sapphires? Are all these stones cut as cabs?

Any advice and tips on vendors would be welcome. Any color except yellow or orange would work, and I am not particular about size as long as it's in line with the budget.

Hi, don't have any sources per say, but I do know that a few people have bought some beautiful silky sapphires from horoscopegems on Instagram (he also has an Etsy page, probably for transactions). IIRC his prices were very reasonable. Geuda gems aren't easy to find because they were mostly passed over as undesirable for the 'markets'. Prices are all over, but several hundred can net you a nice 2-3 ct depending on color.

* go to Insta and put in silky sapphire or opalescent sapphire and some pages will definitely pop up.

Hi, don't have any sources per say, but I do know that a few people have bought some beautiful silky sapphires from horoscopegems on Instagram (he also has an Etsy page, probably for transactions). IIRC his prices were very reasonable. Geuda gems aren't easy to find because they were mostly passed over as undesirable for the 'markets'. Prices are all over, but several hundred can net you a nice 2-3 ct depending on color.

* go to Insta and put in silky sapphire or opalescent sapphire and some pages will definitely pop up.

Thank you! Indeed, they seem to be a hard thing to come by. I've been peeking for a few months already. I'll make sure to keep an eye out for what turns up on Horoscopegems.

Thank you! Indeed, they seem to be a hard thing to come by. I've been peeking for a few months already. I'll make sure to keep an eye out for what turns up on Horoscopegems.

They really are, and pricing is just impossible to figure out until you ask. Well, if you do find a source let me know. Good luck!
If you find one we'll want pictures. Lots of pictures of that beauty.

They really are, and pricing is just impossible to figure out until you ask. Well, if you do find a source let me know. Good luck!
If you find one we'll want pictures. Lots of pictures of that beauty.

Absolutely will! I am afraid this may be a quest of many months though.

Also I think a few people were selling theirs (myself included). So if you search loupetroop for "opalescent sapphire" or "silky sapphire" you might get some options

Great question! These seem to have caught fire in certain IG niche over the past year or two -- sorta like gray spinel.

How does it go? "One man's trash is another man's treasure."

Please don't be offended. I am not immune; I have been looking unsuccessfully for a gray spinel. =)2

Also I think a few people were selling theirs (myself included). So if you search loupetroop for "opalescent sapphire" or "silky sapphire" you might get some options

Thank you! I already bought one and am waiting for it to arrive, but I might want more.

Great question! These seem to have caught fire in certain IG niche over the past year or two -- sorta like gray spinel.

Please don't be offended. I am not immune; I have been looking unsuccessfully for a gray spinel. =)2

No offense at all, I know I like a lot of stones that would be considered trash or flawed by the high end collectors. I just like the milky look, though you'd think being an equivalent of fishtank gravel they wouldn't be charging 150 USD per carat for these :/

I occasionally see grey Spinel on Gemrockauctions. I wonder if it's synthetic since it shows in no reserve auctions. There is a lot of info about synthetic Spinel in other colors but almost nothing on grey. Any idea how to tell? I am also interested in one :)

No offense at all, I know I like a lot of stones that would be considered trash or flawed by the high end collectors. I just like the milky look, though you'd think being an equivalent of fishtank gravel they wouldn't be charging 150 USD per carat for these :/

I occasionally see grey Spinel on Gemrockauctions. I wonder if it's synthetic since it shows in no reserve auctions. There is a lot of info about synthetic Spinel in other colors but almost nothing on grey. Any idea how to tell? I am also interested in one :)

When you say “grey spinel” does silver count? Are you looking for dark grey or light silvery grey? There’s one on Etsy that I have been admiring and tempted by for a while but I’m not looking for that color myself. It is lavender grey. Something about it is just gorgeous.

Here it is:
www.etsy.com/listing/1087324291

hen you say “grey spinel” does silver count? Are you looking for dark grey or light silvery grey? There’s one on Etsy that I have been admiring and tempted by for a while but I’m not looking for that color myself. It is lavender grey. Something about it is just gorgeous.

That link did not work for me -- make someone sniped it in the three minutes between out posts :) But thank you!

I like the silver-y ones. I had been looking for one that will match the tone of platinum -- for a monochromatic look -- and not look like a black hole. I know they will pull blue or lavender in various lights so it will not be an "always-perfect" match even I were to manage to get it right.

That link did not work for me -- make someone sniped it in the three minutes between out posts :)
The link works but something about the forum break it. Do the good ol' copy paste, the stone is really pretty and worth seeing.

That link did not work for me -- make someone sniped it in the three minutes between out posts :) But thank you!

I like the silver-y ones. I had been looking for one that will match the tone of platinum -- for a monochromatic look -- and not look like a black hole. I know they will pull blue or lavender in various lights so it will not be an "always-perfect" match even I were to manage to get it right.
Try cutting and pasting the link. I will be jealous but happy if someone here buys it. Also, I have been offering significantly less for stones on Etsy and getting my offers accepted or at least countered.

When you say “grey spinel” does silver count? Are you looking for dark grey or light silvery grey? There’s one on Etsy that I have been admiring and tempted by for a while but I’m not looking for that color myself. It is lavender grey. Something about it is just gorgeous.

Here it is:
www.etsy.com/listing/1087324291

Is this as grey as they can get or have you guys seen any with even less secondary colors?

I thought you could also find some very fine geuda sapphires with deep, velvety colors that went for the same price or more than non-geudas... did I make that up?

The link works but something about the forum break it. Do the good ol' copy paste, the stone is really pretty and worth seeing.

Thank you! That is pretty but not the right size for my "project."

I can't tell how dark it is, really.

I thought you could also find some very fine geuda sapphires with deep, velvety colors that went for the same price or more than non-geudas... did I make that up?

I wouldn't know since I have only seen them in the store It'sMainelyYou recommended but I'd be interested to learn if you made it up or not :) I'd say the one I ordered looks velvety but not too deep a color for 150$/Carat.

None of these are particularly large but worth a look, maybe?

None of these are particularly large but worth a look, maybe?

I like that bottom one but I do not trust that vendor's photos -- at least from years past. And only one photo in the listing -- kinda suspect, imo. I guess if I mentally ratchet down the saturation by three big steps, it would be a perfect pure gray!

I like that bottom one but I do not trust that vendor's photos -- at least from years past. And only one photo in the listing -- kinda suspect, imo. I guess if I mentally ratchet down the saturation by three big steps, it would be a perfect pure gray!

You could always ask for more pics! Are their videos also as unreliable? I didn't know that about them. I was surprised at how few truly 'silver' spinels there are readily available, though I didn't hunt too intensely.
https://www.instagram.com/haydenfred_gems/ on Insta seems to favor the greys/silvers, but it looks like you would have to inquire directly as they showcase sold stones most of the time. They did have some really cool 'white' spinels a while ago.

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP

Featured Topics