shape
carat
color
clarity

An advice column classic - for those who *really* want to drop their jaw!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love advice columns. They're like juicy gossip where none of the players is me or anyone I know! And I love reading the answers - either to agree or disagree.

But today I read one that just had my jaw on the ground. Even now, I'm shaking my head, just thinking about it.

It involves that horrible situation - leaving a baby in a hot car. But this one has a MASSIVE twist in the tail/tale!!

My response was "I...but...no way...I...WHAT???" I'd love to hear how you responded to this incredible/shocking/gobsmacking etcetcetc scenario. I've never read anything like this - it just beggars belief.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would dare him to sue the neighbors!!! He would never win that case anyhow but would cause so much harm in bringing it. He is lucky that his daughter survived, and would not have without the neighbor’s intervention. People can be truly mind numbing and mind blowing! Honestly, if he tried to move forward with a lawsuit, I would have to totally reexamine my life with him. If he could be so callous and uncaring toward the neighbor heroes, what might he do to his wife and daughter? Not a man of decent character and in a lifetime, that really matters!!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would dare him to sue the neighbors!!! He would never win that case anyhow but would cause so much harm in bringing it. He is lucky that his daughter survived, and would not have without the neighbor’s intervention. People can be truly mind numbing and mind blowing! Honestly, if he tried to move forward with a lawsuit, I would have to totally reexamine my life with him. If he could be so callous and uncaring toward the neighbor heroes, what might he do to his wife and daughter? Not a man of decent character and in a lifetime, that really matters!!

Exactly. EXACTLY!!

If he did this once - even once! - over the course of a marriage I'd be waiting for the next equally heinous equivalent.

I can't recall anything as outrageous as this that wasn't in a novel or a movie!

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m just staggered that his first reaction isn’t “how could I have been so stupid, thank God for the neighbour?”

Sadly, I can’t say I’m actually surprised that his first thought wasn’t concern for his child but “how can I get someone else to pay for my negligence?”

I think if I’d been his wife, I would leave him for not accepting responsibility and trying to come ‘on top’, in his mind.

HockeyMama

Shiny_Rock
Sounds like a classic narcissist, she needs to take her child and run, fast. If he does sue it would be lovely if the case comes to the attention of the DA and he gets charged for abuse and neglect of minor or at the least reported to the Department of Children and Family Services (happens frequently in these cases, if for no other reason than an opportunity for safety education).

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m just staggered that his first reaction isn’t “how could I have been so stupid, thank God for the neighbour?”

Sadly, I can’t say I’m actually surprised that his first thought wasn’t concern for his child but “how can I get someone else to pay for my negligence?”

I think if I’d been his wife, I would leave him for not accepting responsibility and trying to come ‘on top’, in his mind.

I think 100% of sane people would come to this conclusion. The man has got to be so ego driven it defies logic.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What??!! This is going to irk me for days.

Step one: hand deliver a basket of fun stuff with a heartfelt card and funds towards college/future for the incredibly smart, courageous, conscientious, quick-minded, responsible neighbor's daughter who saved the child and neighbor's son who also went into action doing what he could to help the situation.

Step two: divorce lawyer. No question. I could not respect, let alone love or share a life, with someone who could think or act like that.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Um, I would be finding a good divorce attorney.

My exact first thought. This speaks to his character, and that doesn't change. As the advice columnist said

"The alternative is that he’s an antisocial, ungrateful person and I’m sure you have plenty of evidence in addition to what’s in this letter that he truly can’t be reasoned with."

She left out narcissist, which was the word that came to my mind after the word divorce.

Honestly, I can't believe she wrote to an advice columnist for guidance. It seems black and white to me.

In addition, what if he does something like this again, since he seems to be easily preoccupied with his phone, enough to not only leave the baby in the car, but also ignore someone banging on his door. Would anyone in the neighborhood feel comfortable helping out like the little girl did? Actions have consequences.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My exact first thought. This speaks to his character, and that doesn't change. As the advice columnist said

"The alternative is that he’s an antisocial, ungrateful person and I’m sure you have plenty of evidence in addition to what’s in this letter that he truly can’t be reasoned with."

She left out narcissist, which was the word that came to my mind after the word divorce.

Honestly, I can't believe she wrote to an advice columnist for guidance. It seems black and white to me.

In addition, what if he does something like this again, since he seems to be easily preoccupied with his phone, enough to not only leave the baby in the car, but also ignore someone banging on his door. Would anyone in the neighborhood feel comfortable helping out like the little girl did? Actions have consequences.

"Antisocial" is one thing. My thinking is more along the lines of sociopath.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
D.I.V.O.R.C.E, sole custody of baby to mom, only supervised visits with dad, and it would be icing on the cake if she got the car as part of the settlement. Sole custody not just because he left the baby int he car but because he is a putz.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd be horrified to find out I was married to someone that was capable of doing something so awful. That little girl and her family saved his daughter's life, and he has the gall to make plans to sue them?? The man is just a horrible person. She should start divorce proceedings immediately.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Divorce!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
D.I.V.O.R.C.E, sole custody of baby to mom, only supervised visits with dad, and it would be icing on the cake if she got the car as part of the settlement. Sole custody not just because he left the baby int he car but because he is a putz.

Oh, I LOVED the karma (you see what I did there??) of that resolution!!

:mrgreen:

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This story is beyond sick. I don’t know any woman who would stay married to this man. I’d file for divorce asking for full custody with him only allowed supervised visits. I would also let him know that if he went thru with this lawsuit I would be standing with Aubrey and her family in the courtroom. They would have my full support.

I would do ANYTHING possible to get the child out of the car if I saw this. Damage to the car would not even enter my mind. I cannot imagine a judge or jury not ruling Aubrey did the correct thing. The father should face criminal charges for child endangerment.

Last edited:

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The father should face criminal charges for child endangerment.

This, which among other things makes me suspicious that this story is legit. A police report would have been filed when the baby was admitted to the hospital. There's no mention of it in the article which is odd. The sequence of events in the article reads like fiction so unless there's a verification from another source that the story is true, I remain skeptical.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sadly, it is not the first time I have come across do-gooders being sued for damaging something during the course of saving lives or whatever.

I would ditch the husband and take the child with me, if the story is true.

DK :confused2:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
To be honest, I believe that the story is made up.

i thought it could be written just to remind people about kids and dogs in cars on hot days as its summer with you guys up there

if its real i hope the mother divorces him and takes him to the cleaners
he is a selfish wan*er

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I believe it's real. I've read more outrageous stories on Reddit's AITA thread - one recently where a MIL slapped her daughter-in-law on her 2 month post-partum belly and the wife reciprocated by punching the MIL in the face and laying her out! I thought - can this even be possible?? Then, about 2 months later, the wife came and posted her side of the story and it wasn't told sensationally - it was just "Well, this is my side of the story and this is what happened. And now my husband and I are getting a divorce."

If anyone thinks it's impossible for a man to love his car beyond reason, you're living in a different world to me! As the wife said - he's full of remorse about leaving his daughter in the car, but lost all sense of perspective after that point.

And since we can't know, let's just take it at face value.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Oh, I definitely think it could be true. Haven't we all known of real life craziness.

It's so sad when someone only realizes (or only accepts) that their partner is just not a reasonable candidate for the job after they've already significantly merged lives, especially when a child is involved.

Yet it's so common, and how often did everybody try to tell them in the first place but they were under the spell and just wouldn't listen. Of course he is the one in the wrong here, not her, but how can you even work with someone whose brain functions like his apparently does? It would be nice if Relationships 101 was a required course in high school.

I like those columns, too. The human drama lol. I always wish they'd give more background info. though. I mean, if this guy was reasonably normal up until this incident, I'd want to have him checked out by a doctor. But yes, all far better at a distance. :lol-2:

ETA: Maybe he didn't want the baby to be saved.

Last edited:

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We ought to start a thread “Real Life Craziness”.

I have my doubts this story is true. I can’t imagine anyone not being eternally grateful that their child was saved.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We ought to start a thread “Real Life Craziness”.

I have my doubts this story is true. I can’t imagine anyone not being eternally grateful that their child was saved.
Well, not someone who you would think of as "normal" or "sane". Unfortunately, people who aren't, are out there.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And honestly, I have known people whose God was money. Everything is about the money to those types of people. So while they may be glad that the child is okay, they don't want to have to put out the money to fix the car. In their minds, it is the neighbor who messed up the car and it is the neighbor that should pay for it. When your life revolves around money, it gets to be the most important factor in everything. Sad way to live life!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I were the wife I’d 1. DIVORCE him ASAP
2. Sue him for endangering my baby

And 3. Buy the neighbors and their daughter something amazing.

What a dangerous a**hole :x2:angryfire::angryfire::angryfire::angryfire::angryfire::angryfire::angryfire::angryfire::angryfire::angryfire::angryfire::angryfire::angryfire:

Actually he sounds like a sociopath!!!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think this story is sketchy.
I find it very hard to believe that a 13 year old girl would take it upon herself to smash out the neighbor's car window.
You would think that she would've run to her mother the nurse first.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results