shape
carat
color
clarity

Analysis paralysis - picking pearl strands (oval vs button)

Joanne10

Shiny_Rock
Hello everyone!

About a year ago, I really got it into my head that I want a pearl rope, inspired by a photo of Consuelo Vanderbilt wearing a pearl rope while reading. (I love pearls, and I love reading. It was hard NOT to like that photo. :))

After an exhaustive search on Etsy, I bought an inexpensive oval/drop shaped FWP strand (out of a planned 3 strands), to test the waters. When they arrived, the pearls were PERFECT. Just as described, and even prettier than the picture.

Now, a year later, I want to finish my rope. But instead of buying two more strands of the kind I already have (and know to be REALLY NICE), I keep being bugged by the idea that I’m going to regret not getting round pearls, like in the inspiration photo.

So, what should I do?

1. Buy two more of the one I already have, and enjoy them, even if they’re oval (perfect size, too)
IMG_2044.jpeg

2. Buy 3 button strands that I found last night that seem promising (a bit smaller than I’d like, but quite good price?)
IMG_2045.jpeg

3. Spend a lot more money on round(er) pearls, even if they, as pearls, are more fragile than and don’t hold up value as well as, say, gold, but it’s closest to what I want (perfect size, too!):
IMG_2046.jpeg

(If you know the vendors in question, please don’t share. Some strands are in limited quantity. Thanks!)

I’m hesitant to spend too much money on something I won’t be able to resell, and can’t quite justify the difference in price between the last one and the other two (4-5 times more). But I’m afraid I’m going to regret not getting what I actually want. So I’m rather stuck at the moment between what I want and what reason says is best to do.

Your thoughts will definitely help! Any advice for me?

Last edited:
A few thoughts:

• Settling for something you don't love because it's a good price is almost always a mistake. I say "almost always" because sometimes we need to buy a thing for an event, and don't expect to wear it much afterward. In that case economizing is fine.
But if you're buying something to wear a lot for years, get what you really want! (Assuming you can afford it easily and are not taking on debt to do it.)

• Since you want this necklace so much, why are you even thinking ahead to reselling it? Presumably you will want to wear it for many years. Can you see yourself still wanting to wear this in 10 years, 15 years, 20 years? If you get someday get tired of the length, you can restring it shorter, or make a double strand, or even make a bracelet.
On the other hand, if you are someone who prefers to wear things for just a few years and then resell, maybe you would be better off buying the less expensive oval pearls.

• I will say this about oval pearls-- I find them very comfortable to wear, even more so when the necklace is heavy. Oval pearls distribute their weight over your skin better than round ones.

A few thoughts:

• Settling for something you don't love because it's a good price is almost always a mistake. I say "almost always" because sometimes we need to buy a thing for an event, and don't expect to wear it much afterward. In that case economizing is fine.
But if you're buying something to wear a lot for years, get what you really want! (Assuming you can afford it easily and are not taking on debt to do it.)

• Since you want this necklace so much, why are you even thinking ahead to reselling it? Presumably you will want to wear it for many years. Can you see yourself still wanting to wear this in 10 years, 15 years, 20 years? If you get someday get tired of the length, you can restring it shorter, or make a double strand, or even make a bracelet.
On the other hand, if you are someone who prefers to wear things for just a few years and then resell, maybe you would be better off buying the less expensive oval pearls.

• I will say this about oval pearls-- I find them very comfortable to wear, even more so when the necklace is heavy. Oval pearls distribute their weight over your skin better than round ones.

That’s a very insightful post, thank you!

1. Settling for something I don’t love is indeed not a good idea, I agree. Been there, done that :lol-2: I tend to buy few pieces of a kind, but the absolute best quality my budget will get. And I want to wear this forever, for sure. It’s a dream piece.

2. I think of reselling because my parents had to sell all our jewellery when I went to college to save their home. So I view gold as an investment to liquidate in case things go south. If I spend less on pearls, I can spend more on something I can sell later at need.

3. Good to know ovals distribute weight better! Recalls to mind how it was mentioned in another thread that ropes can be too heavy and uncomfortable.

Personally, I think this a great hunt for secondhand. What mm size and length are you looking for?

Personally, I think this a great hunt for secondhand. What mm size and length are you looking for?

I was thinking of second-hand pearls too! I’m in Europe, so I think shipping might be a bit problematic :)

Anyway, here it goes: I’d love 8-9 mm pearls, 48+ inches, shape as close to round as is realistic, luster best possible, budget… I’d love to stay close to 500 dollars. (I don’t think there’s anything to be had in that price range, but you asked, so… :))

With that budget and wanting 8-9mm and round(ish), you are definitely talking about freshwaters (or imitations.)

With that budget and wanting 8-9mm and round, you are definitely talking about freshwaters (or imitations.)

Yes, I’m looking at freshwaters!

I have, but the photos and videos are a bit blurry, so I’m still unsure of the quality. @Daisys and Diamonds, I think you ordered from Wen. How was the quality of what you got?

well you get what you pay for but i have had really good dealings with Wen
delivery is free after US$35 and its quick

her mid priced pearls are still a ton cheaper and much nicer than what i can buy from the main street/mall jewellers in my town
actually almost all her pearls are better than what i could buy in town ! (you just dont see really high quality pearls here except old strands on rich old ladies that were probably brought overseas) )

i was advised to always buy two strands to be able to cherry pick the best, also to only buy her AAA pearls
everdently returns are easy but ive never bothered and just made fun pearl strands with the rejects

i think for FW it would be worth looking into Wen pearls

i love pearl ropes too

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP