shape
carat
color
clarity

Antique cut lovers - OMC thoughts please!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

xiao

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone.. I''m still on the hunt for that perfect antique stone for my ering.
I have tiny fingers (sz 3.75) and so am looking in the 0.85-1ct range.
What do you think of this old mine cut stone? Would appreciate any opinions and advice.
Thanks in advance!

OMC1xj.jpg

Here''s the side profile...

OMC3xj.jpg

I would be very concerned with a setting like that. The stone looks to be protruding very high out of the setting and it would only take a knock to potentially damage the stone. Personally I would look for a more secure setting.

What do you like about the stone?

I like the slightly later cut OMC and OEC because they become more symmetrical but are still chunky. It is a pretty stone, the high crown is especially lovely. Do you know it''s mm size across so you can see how big it will face up?

Personally this is not the type of older cut that I''m fond of. I recently purchased a stone simliar to this over the net (but alot smaller), and the facets etc just didn''t speak to me, I ended up returning it.
I too prefer the slightly later (I think) period where the facets are a lil more uniform, and alot more chunky!
But at the end of the day, its about what you like - it doesn''t seem as though you love it though..?

Have you tried Jewels by Erica Grace? Both Erica and Grace are very helpful and lovely to deal with, I bet they could find you the perfect OMC.

hi all, thanks so much for the feedback.
I am such a newbie here and appreciate all the expert advice. :)
I had no idea that later mine cuts had larger and chunkier facets.

I am interested in this stone for two reasons.
One, the faceting is definitely interesting and stands out as an antique cut.
Two, the price. We are both grad students and have a limited budget. This 0.85ct is going for ~$1400.

Here''s more information from the seller:
"The diamond is very brilliant, with a good polish, and it has some white inclusions that are located off center, and are 90% eye clean.The width of the diamond is approx 5.7 mm,and we will accept a return from you."

I do not intend to keep the diamond in this old setting.
I am basically looking for the perfect center stone for a halo micro pave setting that I found at a local store.
The local jeweler do not carry a lot of antique stones and they have not shown me a wow stone yet.
They last showed me a pretty nice OEC but it looked really dark face up. Not yellow, but dark. Do you know if this is normal?

If I''m not mistaken, old mine cuts are older than old european cuts. Are you looking at all older cut stones, or just omcs? If you like the faceting and there are no other reasons not to buy it then go for it, but please don''t buy it simply because you don''t think you''ll find another one at that price.

Date: 11/30/2008 12:13:37 PM
Author: xiao
I had no idea that later mine cuts had larger and chunkier facets.

One, the faceting is definitely interesting and stands out as an antique cut.
Two, the price. We are both grad students and have a limited budget. This 0.85ct is going for ~$1400.

''The diamond is very brilliant, with a good polish, and it has some white inclusions that are located off center, and are 90% eye clean.The width of the diamond is approx 5.7 mm,and we will accept a return from you.''

I am basically looking for the perfect center stone for a halo micro pave setting that I found at a local store.
The local jeweler do not carry a lot of antique stones and they have not shown me a wow stone yet.
They last showed me a pretty nice OEC but it looked really dark face up. Not yellow, but dark. Do you know if this is normal?
Please like I said contact Erica Grace, they will find you something special within your budget. link
Yeah, pls don''t buy a stone you''re not really in love with "just because"..
40.gif

I''m not a huge fan of the rougher cut looking OMCs like this one. I tend to like the more symmetrical later OECs, too.... It looks like it''s gonna face up very small for the weight- the depth, especially on the crown looks pretty seriously deep.

That being said, if this stone performs nicely it could be a decent option if you do like the look. Some people do prefer the antiquity and quirkiness that the oldest of the old cuts display. Though it''s tough to judge, the asymmetry, as well as the depth and random facets, makes me think it is probably mid 1800s. It could very well not be a very good performer however. I would definitely not get it unless you could return easily if it isn''t fiery/pretty in person.

Unless it''s the style you''re really into, I''d keep looking. Especially in old cuts, you can drop color pretty significantly (if you want to) and it will still look "right".

Date:
11/30/2008 12:13:37 PM
I had no idea that later mine cuts had larger and chunkier facets. Not necessarily correct! Naturally the later the cut..., the higher chance the symmetry would appear more precise..., which doesnt mean "chunkier nor larger" facets/appearance..., just would probably mean a more uniformed look!

One, the faceting is definitely interesting and stands out as an antique cut. I must admit it looks like a cut that would suit the era.

''The diamond is very brilliant, with a good polish, and it has some white inclusions that are located off center, and are 90% eye clean.The width of the diamond is approx 5.7 mm,and we will accept a return from you.'' I must admit I dont understand what 90% eye clean means
20.gif
..., and was it graded by who?

OMC''s/Antique Cushions generally have a more "rustic" appearance than OEC''s - if that''s what you like and the face up size, specs and price are acceptable to you, it might merit consideration.

My advice is to make sure the seller is offering a reasonable inspection period and return policy. Use a credit card for added protection, in case the ring is misrepresented. If you determine that your eyes love the stone in person (key word being LOVE!) have it looked at by an appraiser who is knowledgeable about antique cuts or an antique jeweler that you trust. Check the girdle and make sure the diamond is free of chips, nicks, etc. or if there are any present, that they are acceptable to you (tiny chips are not uncommon in old stones).

Personally, I love the uber-chunky oldest of old cuts. But it''s not for everyone. I think you need to visit some antique jewelers and do a lot of looking before deciding which old cut is most appealing to your eye.

Would look yummy in a sapphire halo...

It could be that the diamond was poorly cut, or that it had a light brown or gray tint. It could also be contrast zones/head obstruction which you would see as dark facet reflections when looking at the stone face-up where light is being blocked by your head. I have come across all of the above and this is precisely why each antique diamond must be seen and evaluated in person. There will be dark OECs and bright lively OECs - you may have to look at several before finding one that appeals to you.

With online purchases, ideally you would select a vendor you trust, explain your preferences, and ask him/her to recommend stones you might like. But ultimately what you will select is the stone that speaks to you and captures your heart. You''ll know it when you see it.

Date: 11/30/2008 5:19:15 PM
Author: ericad
OMC''s/Antique Cushions generally have a more ''rustic'' appearance than OEC''s - if that''s what you like and the face up size, specs and price are acceptable to you, it might merit consideration.

My advice is to make sure the seller is offering a reasonable inspection period and return policy. Use a credit card for added protection, in case the ring is misrepresented. If you determine that your eyes love the stone in person (key word being LOVE!) have it looked at by an appraiser who is knowledgeable about antique cuts or an antique jeweler that you trust. Check the girdle and make sure the diamond is free of chips, nicks, etc. or if there are any present, that they are acceptable to you (tiny chips are not uncommon in old stones).

Personally, I love the uber-chunky oldest of old cuts. But it''s not for everyone. I think you need to visit some antique jewelers and do a lot of looking before deciding which old cut is most appealing to your eye.

I am reading this thread and cant seem to miss the numerous hints that something might be wrong with this Diamond...
33.gif

ericad..., OMC''s are part of the fancy shapes family while OEC''s are part of the later "round" brilliants..., two different animals!

I (and I think other readers) would love to understand the meaning of the word "rustic" when comparing the two...

Dont forget that for consumers..., understanding the Old-Cut world is confusing enough.

Date: 11/30/2008 7:10:36 PM
Author: DiaGem
Date: 11/30/2008 5:19:15 PM

OMC''s/Antique Cushions generally have a more ''rustic'' appearance than OEC''s - if that''s what you like and the face up size, specs and price are acceptable to you, it might merit consideration.

I am reading this thread and cant seem to miss the numerous hints that something might be wrong with this Diamond...
33.gif

ericad..., OMC''s are part of the fancy shapes family while OEC''s are part of the later ''round'' brilliants..., two different animals!

I (and I think other readers) would love to understand the meaning of the word ''rustic'' when comparing the two...

Dont forget that for consumers..., understanding the Old-Cut world is confusing enough.

I think rustic is quite an apt description actually! I don''t think she meant anything negative about it. Rustic is something a lot of people like, but it does imply less symmetry and perfection, which is exactly what this stone has.

Date: 11/30/2008 5:26:22 PM

It could be that the diamond was poorly cut, or that it had a light brown or gray tint. It could also be contrast zones/head obstruction which you would see as dark facet reflections when looking at the stone face-up where light is being blocked by your head. I have come across all of the above and this is precisely why each antique diamond must be seen and evaluated in person. There will be dark OECs and bright lively OECs - you may have to look at several before finding one that appeals to you.

With online purchases, ideally you would select a vendor you trust, explain your preferences, and ask him/her to recommend stones you might like. But ultimately what you will select is the stone that speaks to you and captures your heart. You''ll know it when you see it.
Erica is spot-on about this.

A friend and I went to NY last week specifically to find an OEC or two, and we went to sources that specialize in older cuts. I was specifically looking for the chunky, fiery facet arrangement. Between the vendors, we viewed approximately 75 stones. About 15 of them were OMCs, and I only really cared for one of them.

Of the 40+ OECs we looked at, we really fell in love with just two of them, and neither of them were the stones we''d pre-identified on websites. The stones we thought would be contenders just didn''t do it for us in person.

You can certainly buy an older stone online, to be sure, but I''d want a great return policy in place in case the stone didn''t speak to me.

I have a OMC with a similar style facet pattern, and it knocks the socks off all the other antique diamonds I have. It also looks a little deeper than mine (mine is a touch shallow) which is a good thing. I had this one in my watch list for a pendant a few months ago
12.gif

I would go for it as long as there is a good return policy, but hey, that's just me
31.gif
I bet you could shave off a little more on the price if you ask..

Here is a pic of my OMC
2.gif
(eta sorry it's a little big)

mege08.JPG

33.gif

ericad..., OMC''s are part of the fancy shapes family while OEC''s are part of the later ''round'' brilliants..., two different animals!

I (and I think other readers) would love to understand the meaning of the word ''rustic'' when comparing the two...

[/quote]

Quite the contrary - I like the looks of it. But without more info no way to know if it MERITS consideration, meaning no way to know if the OP should take the risk buying it (I know nothing about the seller. Is it an ebay item? If so, much more info is needed) until the OP determines if they prefer OMC or OEC. Both are very different and my experience is that most buyers are either in the OMC or the OEC camp as far as preferences go.

By rustic, I thought that was very clear and well translated into a less confusing way of thinking about old cuts. I suppose I would say that level of "rustic-ness" (rusticity?) equates to sophistication of cut - symmetry and general appearance.

Per the seller with the item:

"We work hard to provide accurate representations of all of our jewelery and guarantee each item. Returns are accepted on all items within seven days after receipt for a full refund minus shipping costs, so you never need to be concerned with a purchase"

That''s a decent return policy IMO. I did find the auction and I would ask if it''s eye clean, that seller is very honest (I''ve asked about a couple items)

Decolady, your OMC is a stunner!
I also agree that rustic is an apt describer.

Thank you all for chiming in...I am learning so much from this thread.
I''m really sorry if i didn''t provide more information when I posted the question.

Yes, this is an ebay auction.
I try to do as much research as I can about ebay items.
I wouldn''t want to waste any of your time by posting pictures of every interesting stone that i see here and asking for your opinions. :)
So anyway, I have looked at and compared several stones.
I also contact the sellers and make sure they accept returns.
This seller has great feedback and accepts returns.

I am okay with OMC and OEC and transitionals. I have seen all three cuts in person and appreciate the differences in all of them. The only thing is, we have a very limited budget...which is why I am looking for good deals on Ebay.

I hope you don''t think that i''m jumping on every cheap stone that comes up on ebay. I''ve done a good amount of reading up and research before posting.This OMC was a real potential purchase to me, and I just wanted to hear from you experienced antique cut lovers before biting the bullet.

Attached is a picture of another stone that i really like, it''s a transitional cut but slightly above budget and maybe a little shallow - 6.6 - 6.5 x 3.9mm. (Also from a trustworthy seller)

trans_xj.jpg

oops.. resized it

trans_xj_small.jpg

Hey again, that is just the kind of OEC/transitional that I love - I would jump on that stone in a second! Can you make an offer if its slightly over budget..?
There seems to be some tiny chip at about 7o''clock..?

^ Thanks for the tip...I''ve sent a message to the seller to see what they can do.
I think it''s a really nice stone too but just a few hundred dollars over budget.
It''s an SI2, probably because of the girdle chip and the feather 5 o''clock of the culet.
My only concern is that the stone, at 6.5-6.6mm across, will look too big on my fingers (sz. 3.75), especially in a halo setting.

How big is the halo that you''re looking at? Trying on something at a store would help you to picture the ring on you. And, to sound like broken record, once you get used to seeing something on yourself everyday it starts to look more normal and smaller.

I prefer the cut of the 2nd stone you posted. They are very different. Which do you prefer?

Hi Addy, i''m sure I could get used to a huge rock real quick!
31.gif

As for your question...Well, i find myself attracted to the both types for different reasons.
I would be happy with either, as long as they have wonderful chunky facets that reflect bold flashes of color.

I wish i had an antique stone dealer here in Boston where I could look through tons of old cuts. This local store, E.B. Horn, has shown me only 4 - one was too shallow, one wasn''t eye clean and the other two look pretty dark when viewed head on.
I''ve taken to Ebay to find other options...but maybe it''s time to take a trip to New York!

Date: 12/1/2008 11:44:04 PM
Hi Addy, i'm sure I could get used to a huge rock real quick!
31.gif

As for your question...Well, i find myself attracted to the both types for different reasons.
I would be happy with either, as long as they have wonderful chunky facets that reflect bold flashes of color.

I wish i had an antique stone dealer here in Boston where I could look through tons of old cuts. This local store, E.B. Horn, has shown me only 4 - one was too shallow, one wasn't eye clean and the other two look pretty dark when viewed head on.
I've taken to Ebay to find other options...but maybe it's time to take a trip to New York!
Xiao, I'd fully agree with you. A friend of mine has been similar shopping for an OEC and had primarily looked through EB Horn. While they had more selection than anyone else in the area, they still didn't have a ton.

We ended up going to NY; we were able to see nearly 100 antique cut stones between a few vendors there. Do a search on OEC; you'll find a few threads where PS gals have worked specifically with jewelers that carry older cuts.

I know Erica Grace specializes in them (although I believe she's on the West Coast); many of the PS gals have also worked through Old World Diamonds in NYC.

Date: 12/1/2008 1:20:25 AM
Thank you all for chiming in...I am learning so much from this thread.

I''m really sorry if i didn''t provide more information when I posted the question.

Yes, this is an ebay auction.

I try to do as much research as I can about ebay items.

I wouldn''t want to waste any of your time by posting pictures of every interesting stone that i see here and asking for your opinions. :)

So anyway, I have looked at and compared several stones.

I also contact the sellers and make sure they accept returns.

This seller has great feedback and accepts returns.

I am okay with OMC and OEC and transitionals. I have seen all three cuts in person and appreciate the differences in all of them. The only thing is, we have a very limited budget...which is why I am looking for good deals on Ebay.

I hope you don''t think that i''m jumping on every cheap stone that comes up on ebay. I''ve done a good amount of reading up and research before posting.This OMC was a real potential purchase to me, and I just wanted to hear from you experienced antique cut lovers before biting the bullet.

Attached is a picture of another stone that i really like, it''s a transitional cut but slightly above budget and maybe a little shallow - 6.6 - 6.5 x 3.9mm. (Also from a trustworthy seller)

I think the first one is very nice, and if you are comfortable with the return policy, by all means, get it and see for yourself if you love it or not. I personally don''t care for the setting, but I bet the diamond would look wonderful in a halo! I would be afraid of accidentally damaging the stone in that current setting. It''s so high and offers the diamond very little protection.

Now this second one...that is my kind of stone
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
Just recently bought a little OEC off eBay that looks similar, and I love it to pieces. I guess it''s all in personal preference. I love the more symmetrical look of an OEC, vs an OMC...but that''s just me. I think OMC''s are lovely too, just not on me
9.gif

You do have smaller fingers, but trust me once you wear these things for some time, they absolutely shrink ! I swear, it is a well-documented phonemena on here, lol..

If you can swing it, the second one really does look lovely. May I ask do you have your heart set on a halo? Perhaps you could "downgrade" the setting for the timebeing to a solitaire or vintage style with sidestones, and get the larger stone. There is always time for re-sets in the future !
31.gif
11.gif

Would you mind to post a link or pic of the halo you like? Is it modern or vintage style..?

Arghh.choices!

Allison, price is also a constraint for us. What were the prices like in NYC? The prices quoted to me by Ari at Singlestone, for example, is already above my budget...this is in part due to the fact that I want a platinum halo micropave setting.

flowerladytoo and arjunajane, i love the second one too, but it''s so hard to give up that setting. It''s a halo micro pave, and i''ve seen some of those on PS, but not one as dainty this one I like. You can see it here:
http://11848.com/2008/ebhorn/?page=5

The setting is similar to ring J. You can''t tell much from the picture, but the very thin shank and halo have 2 rows of tiny micropave. It is extremely delicate in person. They quoted me $1600 for the setting in platinum. It would be custom made for my diamond.

I have attached a picture of an antique setting that I was considering before the halo.
Found this one on ebay that''s an OEC..supposed to be an I/VS2 but looks dark to me.
It''s within my budget.

GEJ_xj.JPG

So it sounds like the setting you love is approximately 50% of your total budget (based on the price of the setting you love and the price of the first ring you posted?)

If I may gently suggest it (which Arjunajane also said above) you might want to consider putting your setting budget towards the best, most amazing diamond you can get within your size parameters. Then set it in a very inexpensive solitaire for the time being (there are very high quality white gold solitaires to be had for under $500). The extra budget can afford you a larger, better cut, whiter, higher clarity (whichever of these is important to you) stone. Later on, when budget allows (and shrinkage has taken hold) you can reset the stone into the halo of your dreams. Maybe as an anniversary gift, for example.

Just a thought and something we often advise folks to do who are struggling with the same difficult decision.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP