shape
carat
color
clarity

Antique Diamonds

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bubbly1126

Brilliant_Rock
Can anyone give me some other reputable Antique Diamond Vendors besides Erica Grace?

Old World Diamonds and Singlestone are two that come to mind.

Thanks so much, neatfreak!

Also, I don''t know much about antique diamonds. Actually, I know nothing but I do like the look of them so I''m trying to educate myself on them a little bit.

Of all the sites I''ve looked at, it seems that the depths, tables and culets are all so very different. I don''t even know where to begin in finding out what specs are ideal for each cut. (i.e. European, OMC, Antique Cushion, etc.)

I am so confused!

Date: 11/30/2008 8:16:20 PM
Author: inhisarms17
Thanks so much, neatfreak!

Also, I don''t know much about antique diamonds. Actually, I know nothing but I do like the look of them so I''m trying to educate myself on them a little bit.

Of all the sites I''ve looked at, it seems that the depths, tables and culets are all so very different. I don''t even know where to begin in finding out what specs are ideal for each cut. (i.e. European, OMC, Antique Cushion, etc.)

I am so confused!

Think of them like fancy cuts, each one needs to be evaluated in person and there are no "ideal" specs really.

That''s what I thought.

Hmm. I know that GIA is highly reputable in their diamond grading. Which one is it that everyone says isn''t that good to go by? (The one that seems to be way off in their grading most of the time.)

Date: 11/30/2008 8:21:07 PM
That''s what I thought.

Hmm. I know that GIA is highly reputable in their diamond grading. Which one is it that everyone says isn''t that good to go by? (The one that seems to be way off in their grading most of the time.)

EGL. But the flip side to that is that often older stones are NOT GIA certified and are either uncertified or certified by EGL. So best to take each one into consideration on it''s look and take color and clarity with a grain of salt until you can have it appraised.

Old world diamonds is great..

Another vendor I love is www.doverjewelry.com As far as I know they have some loose stones :)

Honestly I love ebay for antique diamonds.. not for the weak of heart though
32.gif

Date: 11/30/2008 8:22:35 PM
Author: neatfreak

Date: 11/30/2008 8:21:07 PM
That''s what I thought.

EGL. But the flip side to that is that often older stones are NOT GIA certified and are either uncertified or certified by EGL. So best to take each one into consideration on it''s look and take color and clarity with a grain of salt until you can have it appraised.
Neatfreak is correct....many of the older cuts are graded by EGL if they are graded at all.

As long as you understand that EGL''s grading is often a bit softer than GIA, there''s no reason to avoid EGL for older cut stones.

I would also ditto all the vendors mentioned here. JewelsbyEricaGrace is nice because they handpick a short list of good performers, and thus you don't have a large slushpile of a list to weed through. OldWorldDiamonds is nice if you have an idea what you like in old stones and they have a very large list; Adam, the owner, is very helpful in providing assesments on performance over the phone. I would *not* recommend Fay Cullen- terrible return policy and lousy customer service, as evidenced by one particular thread recently; plus, most of their virtual list is actually OWD's stock anyway.

To deal with a ginormous virtual list like OWD's, this is a shortcut I use. I look for OECs between 60-65% depth, with my two fave OECs being both 62% which is a great compromise between spread and fieriness. I prefer smallish tables, 45%-59%, preferably under 55% though. OF COURSE there are plenty that perform beautifully that will fall outside this range, but it's a way to deal with a huge list like OWD's.

The OEC I have that performs best has a 45% table, 62% depth, pavilion 42% and crown 17%.

Indeed you'll see many that are uncerted, or EGL certed at best. It's good to find an independant appraiser who knows old cuts to help with finding one.

I have had luck buying OECs on ebay- very good luck indeed. However yeah, it can be super scary and there are some very not good vendors out there. I would never buy from a vendor who didn't have good feedback, and a good return policy. Even following those rules, I just about died of stress waiting for the package!

If you can, get a look at a decent amount of old cuts. You will want to have an idea of what a good performing one looks like, and what types of faceting you like.

Date: 11/30/2008 8:40:48 PM
Author: decolady
Old world diamonds is great..

Another vendor I love is www.doverjewelry.com As far as I know they have some loose stones :)

Honestly I love ebay for antique diamonds.. not for the weak of heart though
32.gif
ditto

inhisarms, what shape/size/price range are you after? OEC, OMC, cushion ?
I would be happy to look through the ebay vendors I frequent for antique stones if you like..
I have come across some good bargains on ebay.

I also like Ebay. Two good sellers on there with good prices are "superdiamond04" and "tulsaestatejewelry" I actually think they are related. But I've also bought from Erica Grace who is the best of the best as far as picking out good quality and selling at a fair price.

I''ve purchased several smallish .75 and under old mine diamonds on ebay successfully.

For larger stones I prefer Adam at Old World Diamonds. That is where I purchased the 1.75 antique cushion shown in the avatar
<---------------------------------------------

I have a 2.06 pear and a 1.50 emerald cut but my favorite diamond by far is the antique cushion
30.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP