color
clarity

Antique experts, please help!

DiamondLover21

Rough_Rock
Hi
I am considering this diamond for my engagement ring

what’s a reasonable price to pay?
GIA certified 4.27 L SI1 polish good, symmetry good, fluorescence none 10.5 x 10.8 x 6.2 mm

Does this look like a quality diamond?
Is there anyway to know if this is a true antique?
I love the look of old European cut but this doesn’t look to be quite that?
IMG_3625.jpeg

I would say a reasonable price would be 40-45k.

I think this reminds me of @Dreamer_D stone.. was it an early American cut? Fwiw I think it's quite pretty.

With old cuts there are different flavours among old cuts. Some prefer the flowery facets, some like the more blocky ones.

I think this is an antique cut based on the extremely thin girdle but I'll let the others confirm.

If you don't like the look of this one then pass on it until you find one you like. Let us know what you think.

Last edited:
I'm the one who pointed you here so I'm going to bring up the girdle issue - how protective would people here feel the need to be with this girdle? Do you have any setting suggestions for OP?

My 3.6ct omc has an extremely thin girdle. She's been set and reset a number of times (at least 4 that I know of) and doesn't have any issues.

I think a faux bezel or bezel is the most protective but you could also get away with 6-8 prongs - I would do this anyway for a stone this size.

It's a GIA Circular Brilliant, so not a GIA Old European Cut. Here's a chart I've found helpful in the past in trying to figure out what my stone was

Screenshot 2024-10-03 110510.jpg

I think it is a true antique, I’ve never seen a modern cut with these proportions.

I would not call it an American cut (circa 1920s) because the optical symmetry and precision of the cut isn’t quite there. But it’s definitely a later OEC. Could be from a similar era but a different flavour of cut.

I like it a lot. The under table area does have a habit of turning “off” (dark) in larger chunks of 2-3 pavilion mains at a time. This is not the most preferable BUT it is very very common in old cuts. This is a rare stone so large and original. I would not be too hard on the old gal. She is very shallow but I dont see that affecting the optics negatively. My own diamond which is very nicely cut and a similar era is also very shallow and it’s a firecracker. So these old timey cutters had skills and knew how to make the best of whatever rough they used.

Have you seen it in person?

It's a GIA Circular Brilliant, so not a GIA Old European Cut. Here's a chart I've found helpful in the past in trying to figure out what my stone was

Screenshot 2024-10-03 110510.jpg

Yeah i know. I was referring more to the facet. I’ve only seen circular brilliants with chunkier facets like an OEC but this is the first time I’ve seen this “flower” facet and I’m intrigued by it! I think it’s so unique

I think it is a true antique, I’ve never seen a modern cut with these proportions.

I would not call it an American cut (circa 1920s) because the optical symmetry and precision of the cut isn’t quite there. But it’s definitely a later OEC. Could be from a similar era but a different flavour of cut.

I like it a lot. The under table area does have a habit of turning “off” (dark) in larger chunks of 2-3 pavilion mains at a time. This is not the most preferable BUT it is very very common in old cuts. This is a rare stone so large and original. I would not be too hard on the old gal. She is very shallow but I dont see that affecting the optics negatively. My own diamond which is very nicely cut and a similar era is also very shallow and it’s a firecracker. So these old timey cutters had skills and knew how to make the best of whatever rough they used.

Yes I have and she’s absolutely stunning in person!
I have my heart set on a two-tone four prong compass arranged setting for her but I may need to change that for a more protective setting.
I really don’t want to cover too much of the diamond…
But I’ll at least consider 6 prong

Yeah i know. I was referring more to the facet. I’ve only seen circular brilliants with chunkier facets like an OEC but this is the first time I’ve seen this “flower” facet and I’m intrigued by it! I think it’s so unique

I think it looks similar to my stone which falls into the Circular Brilliant parameters (although I've had it before that was a GIA category so the cert says round brilliant). I was trying to get a still shot from your videos but the little green arrow always ends up covering the stone so couldn't do a side by side compare.

IMG_0552.JPG

Yes I have and she’s absolutely stunning in person!

There you are then!

I have my heart set on a two-tone four prong compass arranged setting for her but I may need to change that for a more protective setting.
I really don’t want to cover too much of the diamond…
But I’ll at least consider 6 prong

This style looks stunning with a faux bezel!

1727973972539.png
1727974021380.png

I think it looks similar to my stone which falls into the Circular Brilliant parameters (although I've had it before that was a GIA category so the cert says round brilliant). I was trying to get a still shot from your videos but the little green arrow always ends up covering the stone so couldn't do a side by side compare.

IMG_0552.JPG

Beautiful

@DiamondLover21 looks pretty. Do you have a review period to play with the stone in different lighting environments?

A very thin faux bezel would protect the girdle nicely. My former stone was significantly spreadier than the one you are considering. Actually, the faux bezel made the center facets pop nicely.

T

IMG_0552.JPG
This is just… absolutely stunning. Whoa

Do you know if there’s a way for me to find out the origin of the diamond?
And exactly when it was cut?
Is that something GIA does?

I would love to know the history behind it

You could get an appraisal by someone who specializes in old cuts. There’s a few people on PS have used. But if you don’t live in a major city you are SOL. Otherwise it’s just learning and asking experts online and making guesses.

You could get an appraisal by someone who specializes in old cuts. There’s a few people on PS have used. But if you don’t live in a major city you are SOL. Otherwise it’s just learning and asking experts online and making guesses.

Anyone in particular on here I can contact? And can it be done after the diamond is set?
I live in NYC btw

There’s people in NYC but I can’t recall names now. Try searching appraiser NYc in the pricescope search bar. But it needs to be someone with expertise in antique diamonds.

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP