shape
carat
color
clarity

Anybody know about sunblock and pearls?

empliau

Shiny_Rock
I looked into faux pearls to wear in summer, and then remembered I have some akoya strands - our family jeweler described them as being leftover mid-century akoya that were never sold, and the jewels he sold to my mother were appraised exactly as he described, so I think that's probably what they are. I never wear them because chokers aren't madly my thing, and especially with my neck in my 60s. But why should they just sit unworn?

So for the experts, two questions: Can I wear these and clean off the sunblock at night?
And how do I stretch the silk on the smaller one? I've had them for over 20 years and it's still kind of kinked. Maybe hang them in a steamy bathroom?

Many thanks!

P.S. Apologies for photograph quality - the cat decided that pearls were the world's best toy, so they were snapped quickly in the seconds I could keep them away from her!

IMG_1225.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1224.jpeg
    IMG_1224.jpeg
    405.2 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sunscreen isn't good for pearls, but cancer isn't good for skin.

So wear the sunscreen, and clean the pearls with a damp soft cloth afterward, then dry them with another soft cloth to remove any greasy residue. Microfiber is especially good for removing grease. Try to wipe between the pearls -- I find that grime tends to accumulate in the area around the drill holes.

If they are really greasy you can give them a bath in soapy water for 15 minutes or so, rinse them and lay them flat to dry on a soft towel for 24 hours to ensure all the silk is dry before wearing them again. If they are strung with silk, this will probably lead to needing to restring them more often. One advantage of stringing with Serafil is that it doesn't become weak or stretch out when wet.

As to the tight necklace, personally I'd just restring them. But if you wear them the knots will eventually relax, if they were strung with silk.
Same goes for hanging them on a hook between wearings. Gravity will do its thing but it will take a while.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I looked into faux pearls to wear in summer, and then remembered I have some akoya strands - our family jeweler described them as being leftover mid-century akoya that were never sold, and the jewels he sold to my mother were appraised exactly as he described, so I think that's probably what they are. I never wear them because chokers aren't madly my thing, and especially with my neck in my 60s. But why should they just sit unworn?

So for the experts, two questions: Can I wear these and clean off the sunblock at night?
And how do I stretch the silk on the smaller one? I've had them for over 20 years and it's still kind of kinked. Maybe hang them in a steamy bathroom?

Many thanks!

P.S. Apologies for photograph quality - the cat decided that pearls were the world's best toy, so they were snapped quickly in the seconds I could keep them away from her!

IMG_1225.jpeg

its difficult to think that you guys are all having summer and needing sunblock
its clear but cold here today

how has it been going ?

i too found that by perservering and wearing a tighter strand it did relax and loosen up
i have a neck too fat for a lot of my necklaces so im just slowly working through them and getting a more generous clasp put on
i have mum's pearls and i just know after restringing they will still be too tight so ive added a few pearls for the ends by the clasp, they dont match perfect colour-wise because mum's pearls might be getting onto 40 years old now, but its better than me not wearing them

put on

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results