shape
carat
color
clarity

anyone own a big screen tv?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That thread about Diamonds or Plasma got me thinking...
Does anyone own a big screen tv? If so, what do you own? What do you like/dislike about it?
We''re thinking of getting one but can''t decide whether or not to get a projection/plasma/LCD/DLP etc...

bookworm21

Brilliant_Rock
We have a 42" plasma. I like it. It comes with EDTV, so we can receive HD programming, and the picture is super sharp and clear; you can really tell the difference. No more squinting when trying to figure out what a tiny little thing on the screen is. The only con I can think of with plasma is that you can burn an image onto the screen permanently if you leave a still image on it too long. LCD doesn''t have that problem, nor does projection; but the downside to those two is that it''s difficult to see the picture sometimes when it''s super sunny outside and you don''t have heavy drapes to block out the sunlight.

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
We have a 50" rear projection tv in the family room and a 46" LCD flat screen in our bedroom. The picture quality for the projection tv is ok, and it is awesome (very crisp - as DH put it "you can see the sweats on the players") for the LCD when watching DVD and HDTV signal channels (with regular channels, the quality is the same as other tv). Personally I don't like the projection tv because it's big and bulky and I never liked the look of one. That tv is more than 4 years old since DH had it already when I first met him. I like the flat screen because I like that it looks sleek and simple, and don't take up as much room. I also like the proportions of the 46". I had seen 42" where things get really stretched out and distorted and everyone looks fat on screen. We actually wanted something that's 50", but when we got it back in April, 46" was the largest LCD flat screen available. Now that we have it, I think the 46" is a really good size for our room.

ETA: we didn't get a plasma because of the burn out reason cinderella mentioned. If your DH like playing video game especially those that have a gauge that stays at the same location (i.e. racing games, fighting game), then don't get a plasma because it will either burn out or leave a mark at those locations. LCD and plasma prices are comparable at smaller size, but LCD are more expensive at larger size because it's harder to make at larger size than plasma.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
My husband just bought a Sony Grand Wega 60" SXRD rear projection television and it has an amazing picture!!! Even I was impressed (although I'd still pick diamonds first!). I lke it better than our 42" Panasonic plasma set.

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
There is different types of rear projection tv. There's CRT, LCD, and DLP. Here's an article about the pros and cons of each type: rear-projection: what you need to know. There's also articles on the other tv that you are considering. You might want to check it out.

What it really comes down to is personal preferences just like with buying diamonds.
emsmile.gif

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Sadly, yes. I''m not a big t.v. kind of girl, but, dh is a big t.v. kind of guy. I let him win this battle! We have a 50 inch Panasonic plasma. It has the most fantastic picture of any t.v. I''ve ever seen. I had no idea there was that much color and detail in movies!!! It is a monitor and doesn''t have a tuner or speakers. We have a Bose surround sound system so we didn''t need sound. And we (will soon) have Directtv so there is no need for a tuner. DH says it was a few thousand cheaper that way.

So far, there''s nothing I dislike about it. I don''t watch much t.v., though. My boys are watching Lord of the Rings right now. Viggo looks super clear and what a hottie. Hey...Maybe I do like this t.v.!

I think if you go to cnet.com you can see reviews and what size t.v. would be optimal in your room.

I''m with Sundial...I''d pick diamonds first.

Good luck on your hunt!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
After loads of research by my husband, we went with a 56" Toshiba DLP, and we couldn''t be happier.

We decided against plasma because the quality of the image does degrade over time (as you burn phosphors) and because we''d heard about having to get plasma serviced/recharged. I understand now that the second part of that is likely not so, but the degradation of picture quality over time was enough of a reason for us to nix it.

We decided against LCDs because pixel in them cannot be repaired. A screen has volumes of little transistors in it, and if any are defective or get stuck in the on/off positions, you cannot repair them. The manufacturers don''t consider them "defective" until a certain number of them don''t work.

Hence, we chose DLP. DLP is less bulky than traditional TVs (our 56" only weighs 80 lbs.), but not as trim as LCDs. (LCDs can hang on the wall.) The bulbs can dim over time, but it''s as simple as unscrewing the bulb and putting a new one in (about $200-300 depending). If you get a maintenance contract on it, that is part of the contract, so it''s worth getting the maintenance contract that covers it all, including the bulb.

Samsung is a huge name in DLPs, but we preferred the higher resolution on the Toshiba model and some of the gadgety features. We''ve owned it since last December, and we''ve been thrilled with it.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t have a big screen, but we have a 34 HD Sony TV. But here''s the kicker...we bought a CRT HDTV! Yes, I know...stone age technology, but this TV is the standard that CNET used to measure other TVs...the picture is amazing. The price, honestly was good (especially since I get discounts) but we couldn''t have bought a lesser brand name flat screen TV for the same price. However I LOVE this TV...the features are awesome and we are going to wait until prices go down and technology gets better to buy the really big HDTV flat screen...and this smaller TV will be perfect for another room.

Speaking of prices, saw it on the news yesterday that if you are thinking of buying a big screen, wait unti 2007....the manufacturers are predicting a 30% drop in prices due to all kinds of reason (and for the fact that prices always go down anyway).

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you for all the feedback! It doesn''t seem like anyone is unhappy with their tv=) good to know that I can''t really make a "wrong" choice. DH is putting me in charge of the TV buying process. Mainly cos he knows I will research the heck out of something before I buy it
41.gif
. Ideally I would want a 50 inch flat planel LCD but that''s crazy expensive. DH does play video games so plasma prob isn''t the best choice. So most likely a LCD projection or DLP. I have been eyeing the Sony SXRD Sundial mentioned. Last weekend when we went to look at TVs, DH rolled his eyes and said " I can''t believe your upgrade costs the price of 3 big screen tvs!."
41.gif
I told him if someone offered me 3 tv, I''d still trade it in for another upgrade in a heartbeat!

lizz

Brilliant_Rock
We have a 32" Hitachi plasma. I would say to get a screen size (whichever TV you get) that is proportional to the room you put it in. We love our TV and have had it for over 3 years. Ours has the picture-in-picture function, where I can watch one show, and my husband can watch another at the same time. I like HGTV, which you don't need the sound for, so I let him have the sound for his show.

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
We have a 50" Samsung DLP. It''s fine. Picture quality is nice.

I like plasma''s over LCD cuz the pictures look brighter. However, for a family room, I honestly think LCD or Plasma is severe overkill. You''re paying a premium for the flatness of the tv. Unless your living room is tiny and you have no space for a big tv to sit anywhere, I''d just get a DLP or regular big screen.

cnet.com is where you need to look for electronic reviews or basic educational articles.

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
We got a 42" Vizio Plasma Television and couldn''t be happier!

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 9/1/2006 3:47:45 PM
Author: Sundial
My husband just bought a Sony Grand Wega 60'' SXRD rear projection television and it has an amazing picture!!! Even I was impressed (although I''d still pick diamonds first!). I lke it better than our 42'' Panasonic plasma set.
OH sundial!!! I''ve seen this in the Sony Style store playing the new Blu-Ray HD-DVD''s. I''m still wiping up the drool.
3.gif
How long have you had it now?

I have 2 rear projection HD sets which I had purchased before they started making DLP and LCD. One a 65" Mitsubishi and one a 46" Hitachi. Picture quality is amazing. Needless to say I was a little upset that these electonic folks came out with new inputs (HDMI) becuase now you can purcahse DVD players which upconvert your standard DVD''s to High Def (apparently) but your TV needs an HDMI input.
40.gif
At the store we have a 32" Sony XBR LCD hooked up to a tri-nocular Leica/GIA Microscope which we use to show clarity features and presentations on which has an absolutely amazing picture.

I didn''t go plasma for the same reasons Aljdewey stated but went LCD becuase I needed something that would hang on the wall.

Good luck on your purcahse. Check out the Sony SRXD that sundial mentioned before you buy. Their 1080p rez is just incredible especially if you plan on eventually getting HD-DVD/BluRay.

All the best,

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/1/2006 10:30:19 PM
Author: Rhino

My husband just bought a Sony Grand Wega 60'' SXRD rear projection television and it has an amazing picture!!! Even I was impressed (although I''d still pick diamonds first!). I lke it better than our 42'' Panasonic plasma set.
OH sundial!!! I''ve seen this in the Sony Style store playing the new Blu-Ray HD-DVD''s. I''m still wiping up the drool.
3.gif
How long have you had it now?

I have 2 rear projection HD sets which I had purchased before they started making DLP and LCD. One a 65'' Mitsubishi and one a 46'' Hitachi. Picture quality is amazing. Needless to say I was a little upset that these electonic folks came out with new inputs (HDMI) becuase now you can purcahse DVD players which upconvert your standard DVD''s to High Def (apparently) but your TV needs an HDMI input.
40.gif
At the store we have a 32'' Sony XBR LCD hooked up to a tri-nocular Leica/GIA Microscope which we use to show clarity features and presentations on which has an absolutely amazing picture.

I didn''t go plasma for the same reasons Aljdewey stated but went LCD becuase I needed something that would hang on the wall.

Good luck on your purcahse. Check out the Sony SRXD that sundial mentioned before you buy. Their 1080p rez is just incredible especially if you plan on eventually getting HD-DVD/BluRay.

All the best,
Rhino we got it in June and we have been very pleased with the picture quality. Watching the HD channels is incredible! Hubby got a good price ordering it online. I think I need to get him one of those Blu-Ray things for his birthday!!!

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Agreed. I saved for many years, then spent more than 6 months researching and shopping. The new SXRD 60" (1080p rather than 1080i) was the clear winner (for me) considering size balanced with picture across all platforms.

I was frozen and could not make a decision for some time. I was concerned with plasma because of burn-in and how hot they run, but plasma screens had better contrast (darker blacks). When the SXRD came out my decision was made. It has contrast that rivals plasma and the colors are off the hook. It''s a bulkier cabinet, but that wasn''t a concern in my space.

The HDMI inputs are great but the cables are pretty costly.

Here is a consideration: Current DVDs don''t play in the highest quality HD format. Also, someone correct me if I''m wrong but I''m pretty sure HDTV is in 1080i (interlaced). The new Blu-Ray and HDDVD formats play in 1080p (progressive scan) which will actually be better than HDTV broadcasts, if you can believe that. The SXRD was one of the first offerings with 1080p.

I had the SXRD and DirecTV put in the day before Superbowl last year and I still have a hard time leaving that room.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/2/2006 12:57:38 PM
Author: JohnQuixote

Agreed. I saved for many years, then spent more than 6 months researching and shopping. The new SXRD 60'' (1080p rather than 1080i) was the clear winner (for me) considering size balanced with picture across all platforms.

I was frozen and could not make a decision for some time. I was concerned with plasma because of burn-in and how hot they run, but plasma screens had better contrast (darker blacks). When the SXRD came out my decision was made. It has contrast that rivals plasma and the colors are off the hook. It''s a bulkier cabinet, but that wasn''t a concern in my space.

The HDMI inputs are great but the cables are pretty costly.

Here is a consideration: Current DVDs don''t play in the highest quality HD format. Also, someone correct me if I''m wrong but I''m pretty sure HDTV is in 1080i (interlaced). The new Blu-Ray and HDDVD formats play in 1080p (progressive scan) which will actually be better than HDTV broadcasts, if you can believe that. The SXRD was one of the first offerings with 1080p.

I had the SXRD and DirecTV put in the day before Superbowl last year and I still have a hard time leaving that room.
Hey John my husband got this television for our anniversary and I got a Whiteflash 3 carat shared prong bangle! We both did good!!! By your comment do I take it that special DVDs must be purchased to run on this Blu-Ray???

sonyenter2.jpg

tanuki

Shiny_Rock
We took the HDTV plunge last year for Christmas. It is a "plunge"

That is one industry that needs to get its act together. In order to get what I was aiming for - ready for local HD broadcasts and premium HD over the satellite dish and sound quality I wanted I had to replace the entire system. Which was ready for an overhaul since it was purchased in 1997 when we moved in to the house.

There''s more to getting HDTV than just buying the TV.

First, I had to upgrade the satellite dish, which has to point to three different satellites for HDTV so it couldn''t be on the roof where we had it - the installer had to move it to a stand in the yard and I had to go out in the yard with a spade and bury the cable. The local stations require a separate antenna which the guy didn''t install and we still don''t have (waiting to see if the satellite will be able to carry the local channels in HD, since they have them regular anyway). If we bought that it would be another $150 or so. Also you have to pay extra for the HD channels which copy HBO and Showtime and ESPN as well as a few other networks. And it has to be processed thru an HD compatible Dish reciever in the house so you have to make sure that is up to par for the signal.

So now in the house I had to get a new sound/video reciever for the HDMI video to go thru the system, and link with the surround sound speakers (fortunately I could still use my old speakers. So far so good. The HDMI cables were about $300. The reciever (which also has a direct plug in for your iPOD) and capability for video games if I ever want to add that feature was $1000.

Had to get a new DVD player that up converts the regular DVD to HD quality - just less than $200 there

We got a 40 inch Plasma TV. I liked the picture better. The room is a bright room in the morning and we couldn''t have done with projection in there.
The picture is fantastic. You could see every bead of sweat on the players in the World Cup.

Then they sold me a thing that works like a "power conditioner" - for another $300 to keep the sensitive components from being damaged by power surges - which we get all the time around here. In for a penny, in for a pound by now.

Not being an electrical engineer, I felt like a babe in the woods buying this stuff and I''m pretty sure I got ripped off, but I''m not really sure what I could have done without. Every component is a separate decision which they make seem necessary or your vision of a HDTV home theater collapses like a house of cards.

One thing I will say, I haven''t seen a movie in a theater more than about three or four times this year. So maybe I''ll make my money back in popcorn savings.

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
we bought ours in August of -03.
It is a Sony flat screen projection tv, and at that time, it cost us $3000, canadian.

it''s a 42 inch

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

Agreed. I saved for many years, then spent more than 6 months researching and shopping. The new SXRD 60'' (1080p rather than 1080i) was the clear winner (for me) considering size balanced with picture across all platforms.
That''s what drew us to the 56" Toshiba, too - 1080p.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

That is correct...there is nothing that I know of that outputs in 1080p right now (don''t quote me on that though), so even if you have a 1080p TV, that doesn''t mean that you''re seeing anything in 1080p. Of course, that will change in the foreseeable near future. 1080p is the holy grail right now in HD and it''s only a matter of time.

1080i looks pretty darn good though!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results