shape
carat
color
clarity

Are these good places to shop oval diamond? RC, James Allen , blue Nile

alexeliass

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi guys! I’m wondering if ring concierge , blue nile or James Allen are good places to shop?

I’m looking for a 3.5-4 carat oval lab diamond 1.50-1.55 ratio very minimal bow tie and excellent symmetry

The setting is also just as important I love the ring concierge thin gold band low mounting and hidden halo thank you!!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Depends on your budget - RC, JA, and BN are going to be at the higher end of the price spectrum and material quality, cut precision, and overall optics will still need to be heavily assessed to ensure that you're getting every penny's worth, especially for the cost points.
Whiteflash, Brian Gavin, Distinctive Gem, JannPaul, Victor Canera would be sellers that offer full vetting for probably same or even less pricing than them.

We can also scour through the inventories of the popular online sellers and see if there are any ovals with great cut and optics, if you'd like.

Here's an example - listed for around $3000
(I blanked out some of the specs to hopefully prevent anonymous lurkers from sniping it, in case you want to give it a whirl...you can always return for a refund if it doesn't knock your socks off)

Screenshot_20240602-193809-344.png

Last edited:

alexeliass

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Thank you so much!! I really appreciate all the help. I will look into these companies
Is igi or gia better?

By any chance have you heard of this brand? They have pretty reasonable prices and a setting I love !

Depends on your budget - RC, JA, and BN are going to be at the higher end of the price spectrum and material quality, cut precision, and overall optics will still need to be heavily assessed to ensure that you're getting every penny's worth, especially for the cost points.
Whiteflash, Brian Gavin, Distinctive Gem, JannPaul, Victor Canera would be sellers that offer full vetting for probably same or even less pricing than them.

We can also scour through the inventories of the popular online sellers and see if there are any ovals with great cut and optics, if you'd like.

Here's an example - listed for around $3000
(I blanked out some of the specs to hopefully prevent anonymous lurkers from sniping it, in case you want to give it a whirl...you can always return for a refund if it doesn't knock your socks off)

Screenshot_20240602-193809-344.png

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Thank you so much!! I really appreciate all the help. I will look into these companies
Is igi or gia better?

By any chance have you heard of this brand? They have pretty reasonable prices and a setting I love !

Never heard of that company but their price for what seems to be a rather standard solitaire setting looks to be quite excessive, in my opinion.

If you want to give the deeper discount sellers a try first (like the oval I posted above), then you might want to consider buying the oval diamond online as a loose stone then work with a local jeweler for the setting once you find the oval that is "the one".

GIA is a bit more strict with many criteria, but it's entirely possible to find a great diamond that is graded by IGI or GCAL...GCAL 8X is also available for ovals, but you still need to watch out for the usual things: bowtie, excessive leakages, material quality, etc.

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree. The price of the settings is ridiculous. I would start with a solid diamond at a good price and then figure out the setting separately

alexeliass

Shiny_Rock
Trade
That’s a good idea! We have a good local jeweler I can get a quote for a thin 18k gold setting, low mounting , hidden halo and French prongs!

The diamond you shared where from? I would love that size but I think smaller I don’t want people to know it’s a lab either or whether it’s fake I know it sounds silly. We just watched “nothing lasts forever” im all over the place with what I want lol

Never heard of that company but their price for what seems to be a rather standard solitaire setting looks to be quite excessive, in my opinion.

If you want to give the deeper discount sellers a try first (like the oval I posted above), then you might want to consider buying the oval diamond online as a loose stone then work with a local jeweler for the setting once you find the oval that is "the one".

GIA is a bit more strict with many criteria, but it's entirely possible to find a great diamond that is graded by IGI or GCAL...GCAL 8X is also available for ovals, but you still need to watch out for the usual things: bowtie, excessive leakages, material quality, etc.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
That’s a good idea! We have a good local jeweler I can get a quote for a thin 18k gold setting, low mounting , hidden halo and French prongs!

The diamond you shared where from? I would love that size but I think smaller I don’t want people to know it’s a lab either or whether it’s fake I know it sounds silly. We just watched “nothing lasts forever” im all over the place with what I want lol

No worries...there are literally millions of diamonds out there to pick from, so you get to control the carat/dimensions, color, clarity, etc.

The diamond is listed at LooseGrownDiamond and Adiamor (different prices), but most of these sellers that pull from the same virtual inventory feeds will price match each other, if you vibe more with one seller over the others.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
(probably unpopular opinion...)
If you're worried about people believing its an earth-mined stone then I would stick closer to the size you were looking for
in an earth-mined stone (plus maybe a little bit more...like the 3.5 carat range). Of course, it all depends on how you feel
about the stone/ring. Most PSers buying lab-created stones buy for their enjoyment and don't care what others think (a
great way to feel). So, size-wise, I think it depends if you can adopt this attitude and just not care what others think...or maybe
stay in a smaller range that is more of an affordable earth-minded range.

That being said, you've probably realized by now that similar carat weights can vary broadly in lengthXwidth so there is some
room to play there.

FYI...this is all related to this thread...

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
If you're worried about people believing its an earth-mined stone then I would stick closer to the size you were looking for
in an earth-mined stone (plus maybe a little bit more...like the 3.5 carat range). Of course, it all depends on how you feel
about the stone/ring. Most PSers buying lab-created stones buy for their enjoyment and don't care what others think (a
great way to feel). So, size-wise, I think it depends if you can adopt this attitude and just not care what others think...or maybe

That being said, you've probably realized by now that similar carat weights can vary broadly in lengthXwidth so there is some
room to play there.

Definitely not an unpopular opinion...it's a sane opinion bearing sage advice.

molecule

Brilliant_Rock
Is igi or gia better?

1.25mm band? That's absurdly thin! Most vendors and experienced shoppers don't recommend anything below 1.8mm as too little material is prone to warping.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1.25mm band? That's absurdly thin! Most vendors and experienced shoppers don't recommend anything below 1.8mm as too little material is prone to warping.

Agreed. Not safe at all

alexeliass

Shiny_Rock
Trade
For sure. Since I have to use 21k at kay and then buy a lab. When I looked at kay inventory for lab diamonds a 4carat is 22k.

For a mined I wanted to stay in 2.5-3carat for a lab I would love a 3.5 carat
It’s simply the idea of lab is still so new I am so new to it I have never looked into it. To say I just saw “nothing last forever” on Saturday

room to play there.

alexeliass

Shiny_Rock
Trade
So I didn’t know I could get a good size lab for under 5k
For sure. Since I have to use 21k at kay and then buy a lab. When I looked at kay inventory for lab diamonds a 4carat is 22k.

For a mined I wanted to stay in 2.5-3carat for a lab I would love a 3.5 carat
It’s simply the idea of lab is still so new I am so new to it I have never looked into it. To say I just saw “nothing last forever” on Saturday

alexeliass

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I somehow missed that!! I know even 1.6 mm is not ideal but that’s the look I love and want to go for: so far white flash has that but not a hidden halo

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whiteflash can customize. And yes, you csn easily get a huge lab stone for 5-6k.

alexeliass

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Ok- I think i absolutely love the look of Hailey Bieber engagement ring! Just smaller

alexeliass

Shiny_Rock
Trade
What do you guys think between whiteflash and adiamor? I really like those to places I’ll link the diamonds

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Whiteflash offers a level of customer service that I think you will appreciate given your situation. And they can make you a custom setting. I would trust them for you, for this project.

alexeliass

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Thank you! Any tips when looking? I have a few favorites but would like to narrow down before linking lol it’s about 6

Whiteflash offers a level of customer service that I think you will appreciate given your situation. And they can make you a custom setting. I would trust them for you, for this project.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you! Any tips when looking? I have a few favorites but would like to narrow down before linking lol it’s about 6

If you are buying from Whiteflash I’d just call and talk to a customer service person and let them help you pick.

alexeliass

Shiny_Rock
Trade
What do you guys think of these?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the 2.89, but overall like the WF option better

alexeliass

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Thank you! Do you mind me asking why so I can keep an eye out on other options?

I was hoping to spend 5k all together with setting

I like the 2.89, but overall like the WF option better

alexeliass

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Update. Still waiting to hear back to see if they let me exchange for other things instead of just 1 diamond …

Is this diamond pretty awful? I’m thinking yes but new to this lol I heard some diamonds can appear more white in person

Is buying a 2carat round diamond at $20k to use as a necklace pretty reasonable ? Seems spendy for a necklace?

or should I just get a natural oval?

alexeliass

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I am willing to sacrifice ratio to 1.45-1.54 if it gives me a bigger diamond

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Update. Still waiting to hear back to see if they let me exchange for other things instead of just 1 diamond …

Is this diamond pretty awful? I’m thinking yes but new to this lol I heard some diamonds can appear more white in person

Is buying a 2carat round diamond at $20k to use as a necklace pretty reasonable ? Seems spendy for a necklace?

or should I just get a natural oval?

I don't like the diamond bc of the large bowtie and it's "mushy". No matter what you'll end up overspending at Kay because they mark up everything. WHen you're ready to find a round we can help you find one in the 21k range you have to spend

alexeliass

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Ok!
Thank you so much I guess I’m wondering how I can get more “value” if you can even call that what would be more worth it to me exchanging for round pendant

Keeping mined oval

Or getting multiple things like a wedding band, diamond earrings or tennis necklace?

I don't like the diamond bc of the large bowtie and it's "mushy". No matter what you'll end up overspending at Kay because they mark up everything. WHen you're ready to find a round we can help you find one in the 21k range you have to spend

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A larger diamond will be less of a wasted coat than necklace, wedding band, etc

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results