shape
carat
color
clarity

Are these scratches normal for 18K gold?

facebookin

Rough_Rock
Received new ring from 77diamonds. The setting is nicely made but a bit disappointed and concerned with these tiny scratches. 77diamonds claims it underwent a “strict quality control to make sure it's perfect” before sent. Is this normal for 18K yellow gold and a new ring? What could be the cause? I only opened the box and examined from my hand once received. This is the first ring I ever bought so really dont know what to expect. 77D says I’d first have to send the ring back to workshop to “determine the causes and repair”. I was planning to propose next week on a booked trip so this will disrupt my plans completely. What should I do? Any support is appreciated.

IMG_7536.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7538.jpeg
    IMG_7538.jpeg
    145.4 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_7537.jpeg
    IMG_7537.jpeg
    162.5 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_7535.jpeg
    IMG_7535.jpeg
    238.4 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_7534.jpeg
    IMG_7534.jpeg
    207.1 KB · Views: 27

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, I don't think it's normal. BUT, if it will disrupt all of your plans and the scratches are superficial as they appear in the photos, I'd have a local jeweler give it a polish. Otherwise, after the proposal with the ring, you could send it back to 77d. It definitely seems that their quality control isn't as strict as they claim.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
It would be nice to have a perfectly smooth finish, but at the same time those look like very superficial marks. I would consult a local jeweler and either just leave it be (your ring will look like that after a few weeks of wear anyway, it’s called patina) or have it polished locally. It isn’t an expensive process. I definitely wouldn’t send it back over that. It’s not worth the hassle. And these kinds of small issues are just one of the downsides of shopping online. The upside is paying much less. For me the trade off is worth it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results