shape
carat
color
clarity

Art deco chubby emerald

molecule

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks to the specialty LGD cut thread and @0-0-0 posting a beautiful, not too large chubby emerald, I caved and bought myself my first LGD. I had originally planned to wait/save for a LGD AC, but I when I saw the shape, cut and price of the emerald and I ended up caving.
1000003001.jpg
Here she is next to my moissy antique asscher band, as inspired by @acaw2015 (who is my jewelry style idol).

I looked through all my art-deco/vintage emerald and asscher designs that I've collected for far too long to come up with my favorites.
The infamous (anyone else remember the 20 page thread trying to recreate this?) Tiffany asscher. I love the basket and the curved NSEW prongs. The leaves, I would omit or switch to something else.
1000003013.png
I love the below setting. It hits proportion, size, geometric style, very art deco-y, but this might be a touch too plain for me. It might need a nice basket or something along the shank (honestly, my concerns about it being too plain might just be the angle of the ring in this shot)
1000003009.png
I'd love to basically combine the two rings, but Im struggling to figure out to what extent. Are the styles just two different? I think the NSEW prongs would mess with the clean lines of the geometric design. Any recommendations, guidance or thoughts?

Other inspirational images:
Having just the horizontal baguette diamond would help me get the NSEW prongs, I think a fancy basket would be fine and the baguette would be inlaid into the shank.
1000003016.png
Alternatively, I could abandon the merge all my favorite ideas into one mishmash ring and add a geometric pattern to the geometric ring:
1000003015.png
Or substitute the leaves from the Tiffany ring for something like these shoulders 1000003017.png
Feel free to post opinions, I'm thinking through this and would love to hear your thoughts.

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
Depending on the cut of the emerald, NSEW prongs can reflect across the facets. I would test with a gem holder before considering that option.

molecule

Brilliant_Rock
Depending on the cut of the emerald, NSEW prongs can reflect across the facets. I would test with a gem holder before considering that option.

That's a huge point of consideration I had omitted. Thank you!

molecule

Brilliant_Rock
Update with images taken on blue foam piece:
1000003019.jpg 1000003021.jpg
I would that in my rudimentary assessment of leakage indicates that the light performance is quite good (not perfect) and I don't believe it would be enough that NSEW prongs leaking through a little would bother me.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm no help other than to say I love the stone!

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
I'm no help other than to say I love the stone!

AGREE!!! I LOVE it! Exactly what i wanted for my ruby ring project, it's GORGEOUS!!

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@molecule what a gorgeous stone and I absolutely love your asscher band! If I were to do my own again I would have it done like yours.
And you totally made my day! Thank you! :kiss2:

I am of very little help here, other than to say that all of these options look lovely! I think the first ring you posted has a quite dainty and romantic feel, while the more geometric pieces are more art deco. I would probably prefer art deco for an asscher, but it is really a close call and it all depends on what look you are after. I also like your idea with only a decorated band... I do however think that if you are not sure, I would put her in a simple solitaire setting and wear her for a while to see what setting she needs. I can't help imagining her with two (green, not diamonds) emeralds as a three stone ring...

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love those classic art deco styles. I would go simple and classic with this one and not try to mix designs too much. The strong architecture of these designs rests partly in clean strong lines.

molecule

Brilliant_Rock
@molecule what a gorgeous stone and I absolutely love your asscher band! If I were to do my own again I would have it done like yours.
And you totally made my day! Thank you! :kiss2:

I am of very little help here, other than to say that all of these options look lovely! I think the first ring you posted has a quite dainty and romantic feel, while the more geometric pieces are more art deco. I would probably prefer art deco for an asscher, but it is really a close call and it all depends on what look you are after. I also like your idea with only a decorated band... I do however think that if you are not sure, I would put her in a simple solitaire setting and wear her for a while to see what setting she needs. I can't help imagining her with two (green, not diamonds) emeralds as a three stone ring...

I have my own (very minor regrets) and should go back and update my thread so that if anyone ends up using it as inspiration that they be aware. I'd do a better transition from the shank to the sides of the diamonds in the end as currently the setting is a bit pokey.

The issue with a cheap solitaire is that I'm more likely to let it sit there for longer and only be partially satisfied.

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
molecule, what a sweet diamond! I love it, and it's going to be so fun seeing what you do with it.
That Asscher moissy band is calling to me, can you share where it came from?

molecule

Brilliant_Rock
I love those classic art deco styles. I would go simple and classic with this one and not try to mix designs too much. The strong architecture of these designs rests partly in clean strong lines.

Good point, that's what I was starting to lean towards. I think I need to 1) find other angles of the ring to make sure it's not just the photography appealing to me 2) decide between horizontal baguettes with NSEW prongs or vertical+horizontal+corner prongs.

molecule

Brilliant_Rock
molecule, what a sweet diamond! I love it, and it's going to be so fun seeing what you do with it.
That Asscher moissy band is calling to me, can you share where it came from?

The moissys were sourced form JuliaB on Etsy and DK made the band in July 2018 - I love the height, wearability, the triangle prongs and would only modify the shank- stone edge connection. It's my most complimented piece.
1000003032.png

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
Even without leakage, step cuts can draw light from low enough angles that can make NSEW prongs reflect across the steps. Here’s a couple videos of my Asscher pair in a gem holder testing corner vs NSEW prongs. I ruled out setting my pair in NSEW prongs after testing this out.

molecule

Brilliant_Rock
Even without leakage, step cuts can draw light from low enough angles that can make NSEW prongs reflect across the steps. Here’s a couple videos of my Asscher pair in a gem holder testing corner vs NSEW prongs. I ruled out setting my pair in NSEW prongs after testing this out.

This is why I love this community! Thank you for the recommendation and the info. BRB to go find my gem holders that I tucked away somewhere before multiple moves.

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
What are your plans for the eventual reset?

A bezel, then I’m not sure for the sides… baguettes, bullets, traps. Probably not a halo. I will definitely ask PS for help. Got a few things to finish this year, maybe reset the asscher next year.

IMG_0539.jpeg
IMG_9065.jpeg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results