shape
carat
color
clarity

Asscher darkness

tank007

Rough_Rock
Hi All,
Is it possible for a well cut asscher to look like this in certain lighting or from certain angles or is this darkness ABSOLUTELY due to cut flaws? The reason I ask is because I've seen an asscher in person that looked this way from certain angles and certain lighting but told by two gemologists and one diamond cutter, who all took a look at the same stone, that there was nothing wrong with the stone and that it was cut well. None of them had anything to gain, they were all impartial and unassociated to the retailer. In addition, the retailer had it categorized as being well cut. I've received contradicting information from Pricescope that if a stone does this it is not well cut, so obviously I'm confused. Bottom line is can an asscher be well cut and still do this?

asscher.JPG

Nope, I would not classify this as well cut

Nope, I would not classify this as well cut

I wouldn't think so either, so I'm confused as to how others who looked at one like this not find anything wrong.

I wouldn't think so either, so I'm confused as to how others who looked at one like this not find anything wrong.

I hate to say it, but most folks don't know anything about fancy cuts

They didn't look at it close if they saw it in person.
If the are going by that picture them they may not be skilled in asscher cuts. Very very few people are.
Its way over obstructed in the image but that is still an overreaction to obstruction.
Small areas as the flash on or off if you stop the rotation at the off point that area will look dark but face up large parts of the stone dark like that are bad news.

tank007, great question. Thanks for posting this.

They didn't look at it close if they saw it in person.
If the are going by that picture them they may not be skilled in asscher cuts. Very very few people are.
Its way over obstructed in the image but that is still an overreaction to obstruction.
Small areas as the flash on or off if you stop the rotation at the off point that area will look dark but face up large parts of the stone dark like that are bad news.

This photo is an example. It is not the actual stone. The actual stone reflected similarly but only from certain angles and lighting and wasn't this bad. It was a pretty stone for the most part. I'm just stumped on what to think. One would think that these people would know what they are talking about. I guess my issue is I can live with something like this if I knew for a fact it was well cut.

This photo is an example. It is not the actual stone. The actual stone reflected similarly but only from certain angles and lighting and wasn't this bad. It was a pretty stone for the most part. I'm just stumped on what to think. One would think that these people would know what they are talking about. I guess my issue is I can live with something like this if I knew for a fact it was well cut.

But it's not well cut, and not attractive. So why would you want it?

But it's not well cut, and not attractive. So why would you want it?

This was not the actual stone. The actual stone reflected a bit similarly but not as bad

You have people here who can find you lovely Asschers, they're well informed and tireless. And Karl here is world-class. He designed one, for godssake.
Don't settle for "not as bad." You'll regret it.

well honestly, if that isn't the stone you are thinking of buying, then I'm not sure the answers you get will point you in the right direction.You say the actual stone is "not as bad" but that doesn't really tell people much. Why not post the actual stone you are contemplating and get opinions on that? A video would be a good start.

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP