shape
carat
color
clarity

Asscher facets

tank007

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

Is it possible for a consumer (non expert obviously) able to see with a loupe, whether or not asscher facets are cut properly?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
define cut properly.
Cut properly as in the facets are there and the meet points line up with acceptable polish and crown height is acceptable.. sure no problem.
Cut properly so it has pleasing patterns face up and dances under tilt without to much obstruction and leakage is not done with a loupe it is done viewing the diamond in different lighting.

tank007

Rough_Rock
define cut properly.
Cut properly as in the facets are there and the meet points line up with acceptable polish and crown height is acceptable.. sure no problem.
Cut properly so it has pleasing patterns face up and dances under tilt without to much obstruction and leakage is not done with a loupe it is done viewing the diamond in different lighting.

Thanks. My definition of properly cut would be a text book technically perfect cut asscher but it sounds like that's not how it works?

In addition, after reading your response, I'm wondering if a diamond is in fact as you say "cut properly as in the facets are there and the meet points line up with acceptable polish and crown height is acceptable" why wouldn't you get "pleasing patterns face up and one that dances under tilt without to much obstruction and leakage"?

tank007

Rough_Rock
I think you just defined what makes Asschers so challenging and so much fun.

So I'm assuming they can be text book cut yet not be eye appealing? They are in fact a challenge then.

tank007

Rough_Rock
This might help explain.

Thanks, I've actually read this article and in light of this explanation/discussion on P3 facets, I'm wondering how this is actually achieved. Do you start with a type of standard/text book cut then move to a visual of the diamond then back to a more nuanced/slight type of cutting and so on and so forth till you get the look/visual you want?

I guess I've always assumed that diamond cutting was cut and dry, no pun intended but if I'm close to being correct in my understanding above, it really isn't, right?

How fine of a line is there between "cut properly as in the facets are there and the meet points line up with acceptable polish and crown height is acceptable with cut properly so it has pleasing patterns face up and dances under tilt without to much obstruction and leakage"?

Is the reason most asschers do not have good light performance because a standard is used and most stop there? Or am I wrong in thinking there are even standards?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
These days how the rough will be cut is done by computer.
It is scanned and inclusions mapped and the software comes up with multiple options for the rough.
With asscher cuts many times those models in the software are not great or they can not follow the model close enough.
Each company has their own models and they are trade secrets.
One company has some good models but the can only execute them to a high degree about half the time.

tank007

Rough_Rock
It is scanned and inclusions mapped and the software comes up with multiple options for the rough.
With asscher cuts many times those models in the software are not great or they can not follow the model close enough.
One company has some good models but the can only execute them to a high degree about half the time.

Why is it with asschers in particular that the models are not great and cannot be followed close enough? Does that go for all fancies too?

And with the one company, why is it only half the time? Loss in weight which equals loss in revenue?

I don't mean to be a pest with all these questions, I simply find this very interesting and helpful in deciding whether to bother or not in searching asschers out since it seems like a crap shoot and all of this just makes it that much more difficult to find multiple good ones.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Why is it with asschers in particular that the models are not great and cannot be followed close enough? Does that go for all fancies too?

And with the one company, why is it only half the time? Loss in weight which equals loss in revenue?

It applies to all fancies. Some have more tolerance for deviation from design or more tolerance for weight retention tactics in the models.

Step cuts like emerald cuts and asschers have rows of facets that are not tied down in 3d space by other facet meet points.
Locating them properly at the right angles is hard.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results