shape
carat
color
clarity

Asscher light performance advisor

tank007

Rough_Rock
Hello All,

Does anyone happen to know of an asscher diamond expert in or near the Boca Raton or Ft. Lauderdale area of FL who I can bring an asscher to to advise whether it has good light performance? My apologies if this is a request that goes against site rules, I retract it if that is the case.

Do a search here on Pricescope for posts from @Karl_K about how to recognize good cut in Asschers.

Also I'd search Youtube for videos from GoodOldGold comparing asschers.
Watch lots of those and you'll start to get a feel for what to look for.

Also surf around Pricescope - under the Resources and Education tabs at the top of the screen look for ASET scope, Idealscope.

The HCA, Holloway Cut Advisor, is only for rounds.

Do a search here on Pricescope for posts from @Karl_K about how to recognize good cut in Asschers.

Also surf around Pricescope - under the Resources and Education tabs at the top of the screen look for ASET scope, Idealscope.

Thanks. I've actually done all you've mentioned. Would still like to find someone who can give me a concrete answer personally.

Are you looking for a modern or an antique Asscher?

Thanks. I've actually done all you've mentioned. Would still like to find someone who can give me a concrete answer personally.

I seriously doubt you're going find anyone truly competent in asschers optimized for light performance anywhere, even in NYC.
Most pros want to sell you what they have or can get ... and that will NOT be asschers that were cut for light performance.
IMO that conflict of interest make them poor advisors on finding what they likely don't have and can not get. (yet, of course they DO want a sale) :evil2:
Buyer beware.

Good cut in asschers is very specialized knowledge.
Few sellers even understand good cut in rounds, let alone in asschers.

If you really want an asscher with superb cut, buy a branded asscher like an Octavia or a Royal Asscher.

In 2009 I bought the first Octavia sold, which was designed by our Karl K.

I'm aware of 2 reasons Octavias are hard to find.
Octavia's innovative and radical proportions (like it's very high crown and the critical pavilion and crown angles) require gobbling up more of the rough diamond material than a "usual" asscher does.
The asschers you'll see for sale were cut for maximum the weight retention from the rough, not for maximum light performance.
Since Octavia's proportions gobble up more of the rough, don't expect it to compete in price with generic asschers.

Also the precision of the facet angles are critical to the results, and not easy to polish on the wheel.
It takes a master diamond cutter.
One path is to have Yoram Finkelstein source the rough and cut one for you.

It won't be fast.
But it WILL be worth it.

A generic asscher with optimum performance is the needle in a haystack.

Few round diamond shoppers know diddly squat about cut and light performance.
Then many fewer people are shopping for an asscher and buyers and sellers are NOT prioritizing performance.
The industry's priority when cutting asschers is getting the heaviest asscher out of each piece of rough.
For deeper details on cut you gotta talk to the asscher guru, @Karl_K

Last edited:

Are you looking for a modern or an antique Asscher?

Not necessarily either or. I've purchased I guess a modern asscher but uncertain of it's light performance quality and trying to find expert to take a look at it.

Have you posted a video of your asscher moving onto this forum? Or a picture of your asscher in front of a piece of colored paper? Is it possible that the performance of asschers in general does not excite you or maybe this specific style of asscher? There are quite a few prosumers here that could advise if there is a performance issue upon seeing a video.

This is my 1.13 ct H VS1 asscher that measures 5.83 x 5.83. It is no Octavia but it is extremely bright. My only real complaint is that I wish it showed a little more contrast. There is a thread on it with the video from James Allen. The video was what really drew me to this stone. It dances and the pattern of virtual facets is pleasing to my eye. The bottom ASET is of a smaller asscher that I used to own. I would consider it a modern type. Just showing these ASETs for comparisons of different asscher types. The smaller asscher had more contrast and a much different performance.

There are published lists of ideal proportions but they are just screening tools. It really comes down to your preference. Octagon or square, fat windmills or thin, contrast patterns and virtual facets. I emphasize with your uncertainty. Once you discover this site you realize what a technical and artistic wonder the light performance of a diamond is and how much more there is to learn and how difficult it is to find a well cut asscher.

Have you posted a video of your asscher moving onto this forum? Or a picture of your asscher in front of a piece of colored paper? Is it possible that the performance of asschers in general does not excite you or maybe this specific style of asscher? There are quite a few prosumers here that could advise if there is a performance issue upon seeing a video.

This is my 1.13 ct H VS1 asscher that measures 5.83 x 5.83. It is no Octavia but it is extremely bright. My only real complaint is that I wish it showed a little more contrast. There is a thread on it with the video from James Allen. The video was what really drew me to this stone. It dances and the pattern of virtual facets is pleasing to my eye. The bottom ASET is of a smaller asscher that I used to own. I would consider it a modern type. Just showing these ASETs for comparisons of different asscher types. The smaller asscher had more contrast and a much different performance.

There are published lists of ideal proportions but they are just screening tools. It really comes down to your preference. Octagon or square, fat windmills or thin, contrast patterns and virtual facets. I emphasize with your uncertainty. Once you discover this site you realize what a technical and artistic wonder the light performance of a diamond is and how much more there is to learn and how difficult it is to find a well cut asscher.
6618330aset.jpg
gmP%2yMiSUeeLAGrlqE6ZA.jpg5285635.jpg

That's exactly my problem. Having stumbled upon this site in order to understand what the diamond was doing I have become very discriminative. It does something I noticed a little too late. If in an area with a black or dark ceiling or dark surroundings it reflects the darkness and with the camera too as you will probably notice in the videos. This also happens somewhat if I'm wearing dark clothing. For the most part and in all other settings it's very pretty I can't seem to let it go though. I guess what I need to hear is that the performance is good enough from an expert who has seen it in person. My apologies for make shaky hands.

Your videos are all private and if they link to a personal YouTube channel then they aren't allowed. You can always upload to Imgur and post the link!

Your videos are all private and if they link to a personal YouTube channel then they aren't allowed. You can always upload to Imgur and post the link!

Thanks, I'll try to do that.

Asschers like all step cuts give you a tour of the environment around them your going to see a black ceiling or phone reflected in all of them at some point.
One PS vendor they give him fits because they always reflect some wood in his office and look brown.
Everything else does not draw light from that angle.

Last edited:

6618330aset.jpg
gmP%2yMiSUeeLAGrlqE6ZA.jpg5285635.jpg

Asschers like all step cuts give you a tour of the environment around them your going to see a black ceiling or phone reflected in all of them at some point.
One PS vendor they give him fits because they always reflect some wood in his office and look brown.
My apologies, not sure I'm following the second half of your post.

My apologies, not sure I'm following the second half of your post.

Are you saying that there is a particular price scope vendor that asschers irritate because they reflect surrounding wood in his office which makes the asscher diamonds look brown? Just making sure.

And when you say everything else does not draw light from that angle, by everything, do you mean other diamond cuts?

Now, does this all mean that an asscher can be cut well for light performance and still have this darkness reflect back?

Are you saying that there is a particular price scope vendor that asschers irritate because they reflect surrounding wood in his office which makes the asscher diamonds look brown? Just making sure.

And when you say everything else does not draw light from that angle, by everything, do you mean other diamond cuts?

Now, does this all mean that an asscher can be cut well for light performance and still have this darkness reflect back?

Yes to all above.

Looked at the vid it looks good to me the contrast defines the patterns and flashes and doesnt stay dark

Looked at the vid it looks good to me the contrast defines the patterns and flashes and doesnt stay dark

Thank you

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP