shape
carat
color
clarity

Beginning quest for The One, tons of questions!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

summertime

Shiny_Rock
Hello everyone!

This is my first post, but I have been lurking for many months, trying to absorb as much knowledge as possible. When BF and I began discussing rings, he said he wanted me to get exactly what I want, so I will play a large role in the design process. This is great for me, because I''m much more interested than he is in diamonds. I know it will be less of a surprise, ergo less romantic, but I think it''s worth being able to be 100% satisfied with the ring.
1.gif

Now the hard part: how do I choose?

After looking through the eye-candy folder, saving tons of pictures, and visiting PS daily over the last several months, I have decided I want a princess cut center stone, of about .86 - 1.05 carats. Though I used to think I wanted a G VS2 stone, I have lately been considering an H SI-1 (eye-clean) stone instead, so I can get a better cut (preferrably ideal) and a larger stone. After viewing some of the videos on GOG, I can hardly tell the difference between a well-cut G and H.

I am most concerned about the cut of the stone (as I have learned from all of you!) and the carat weight. I have been using a chart I stumbled across (AGA 2006) that lists various characteristics associated with 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B etc. and also the AGA Grading Tool from D. Atlas''s site to evaluate diamonds I''ve done PS searches on. I have a few questions:

How important is girdle thickness? I''ve found several diamonds that fell into the "ideal" range everywhere except for girdle thickness (thickness of very/extremely thin or thick would decrease the cut rating).

Anything else I should particularly look for? Finding the *perfect* diamond seems a rather daunting task.
4.gif

As far as settings go, I would like a platinum setting with side stones, though I am torn between pears and bullets. Pears have been my favorites, as I love them and feel they make a unique combination with a princess, but bullets do hold strong appeal. Any opinions on this? I have only been able to find a few pics of either on PS. Also, I have been unable to find a standard setting from a vendor that offers pear sides that I love, so I''m thinking of having it custom made. Any recommendations? Since my budget probably won''t allow for a designer, I''ll be happy with a benchman.

I''m looking at a budget of $5,000-$6,000, preferrably including a plain platinum wedding band (2-3 mm). Is this reasonable, or am I asking for too much for such a budget? If I am, where would you sacrifice? What are your opinions on platinum vs. white gold? Though the lack of a surprise proposal is unromantic, I am very romantic in that I want this ring to be the one I wear for the rest of my life. I guess I''m just sentimental that way, but I''ve always got my right hand to upgrade!
9.gif

Thanks so much for any advice, opinions, or thoughts you can give!
26.gif

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/5180/

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/5182/

Bullets, I think would be nice.

You want the girdle to be thick enough to not chip, but also thin enough to be easy to set and not be wasted weight.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
For princess cut, unless you are able to see the IS/ASET pics, it is safest to go by a stone graded AGS0 in cut by AGS in their Diamond Quality Document.

summertime

Shiny_Rock
Wow JulieN - Those are both beautiful!
1.gif
They lead me to another question - how should I ration my budget? If I have $5-6k to spend overall, how much should I spend on the center stone as opposed to the two sidestones, platinum setting, and wedding band? I was thinking about $3,000-$3,500 on the center stone, which would leave about $2,000-$2,500 for the rest. Is that doable? Thoughts?

Thanks StoneCold - I'll add that to my list!
1.gif

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ok, so 2000-2500 will probably take you around .75-.85 cts instead of around 1 ct.

I didn''t know your wedding band was also included in the total budget. I was thinking about 1000-1500 for your e-ring setting.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/6/2008 5:27:16 PM
Author: summertime
Wow JulieN - Those are both beautiful!
1.gif
They lead me to another question - how should I ration my budget? If I have $5-6k to spend overall, how much should I spend on the center stone as opposed to the two sidestones, platinum setting, and wedding band? I was thinking about $3,000-$3,500 on the center stone, which would leave about $2,000-$2,500 for the rest. Is that doable? Thoughts?
Julie knows her stuff!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results