shape
carat
color
clarity

Best lighting to see Inclusions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rnbwsktles

Rough_Rock
My report shows a feather across almost half of the table of my RB, but I can''t see it at all, not even under 20x magnification. I wonder if it''s just the lighting? From pictures I have seen of other feathers, they are generally pretty noticeable. Any suggestions on how I can view my diamond better?

This is the only noticeable inclusion on the report other than an extra facet (i dont even know how to look for that). It''s an SI1, but it seems like it deserves a much higher grade! Most reports show inclusions all over the diamond, even in higher quality diamonds.

Feathers are noticeable if you know what to look for. Once you find it you will always be able to pretty quickly...I think bright diffused light is the easiest to try and find inclusions IMO. I don''t know what the experts say though!

Date: 12/2/2008 4:00:52 PM
Author: neatfreak
Feathers are noticeable if you know what to look for. Once you find it you will always be able to pretty quickly...I think bright diffused light is the easiest to try and find inclusions IMO. I don''t know what the experts say though!
True. Indoors, fluorescent daylight lamps at reasonably close distances are the standard. If you want to go old school you can use diffused (glare-free) daylight; or reflected skylight as you might get through a north-facing window in the Antwerp diamond district. South of the equator this should be diffused southern skylight.

I thought darkfield illumination was the "easiest" way to find inclusions, but that''s not necessarily all that easy to obtain without some professional tools.

Also - beware of the inclusion plots; they are 2D representations of a 3D object; the fact that the feather is pictured "across the table" may actually mean that the feather is sitting quite deep near a pavillion facet edge, and thus pretty difficult to find face up.

BTW, rnbwsktles, you must be one of very few people that complain because they can''t see the grading inclusion in an SI1...
2.gif

Ye auld coyote is wise.

I was anxious to second neat's diffused observation - but my comments pertain to lighting for general grading.

Absolutely, darkfield will make it easiest to see internal inclusions in polished diamonds. Reflected light (fluorescent) may still be easiest in which to see certain surface-reachers and blemishes.

Date: 12/2/2008 3:56:00 PM
Author:rnbwsktles

This is the only noticeable inclusion on the report other than an extra facet (i dont even know how to look for that). It's an SI1, but it seems like it deserves a much higher grade! Most reports show inclusions all over the diamond, even in higher quality diamonds.
ETA: The feather is the grade-setter. The inclusion type is considered, along with number, size, position and relief to arrive at the overall grade. SI1 is correct for a single extended feather.

Date: 12/2/2008 4:34:54 PM
Author: oldmancoyote
BTW, rnbwsktles, you must be one of very few people that complain because they can''t see the grading inclusion in an SI1...
2.gif

haha i know. My diamond isn''t laser inscribed though, and I think this is the only way I will be able to keep track of my diamond if I ever need to bring it somewhere to be worked on.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP