shape
carat
color
clarity

Best place to buy high-quality Australian opals without breaking breaking the Bank?

matt_k

Shiny_Rock
I'm looking for the 10×8mm, 8x6 mm, and 7x5 mm sizes specifically. I'm also curious about the play of color on Australian opals versus Ethiopian opals. From what I can tell Ethiopian opals seem to have more flashes of intense color.

Opal Auctions, great fun.

DK :))

Ethiopian Opals are hydrophane material, they have a higher water content and if immersed in water will lose their “colour play”, this returns as the opal dries out (hours to a few days).
Ethiopian Opals are translucent often with a yellowish base.
Natural Black, or dark base, Ethiopian opals need to purchased with caution, there is a procedure called smoking (or dyeing, remember they absorb water) that makes the base darker.
Australian Opals come in a few varieties.
White Opal (the cheapest) is opaque white with colourplay. Crystal Opal is most like Ethiopian in that it’s translucent and can have a clear background or darker (often called semi black). Jelly Opal is almost transparent with colour play.
then there’s Boulder Opal, the opal is dispersed through iron stone.
there’s also opal fossils and Matrix Opals which is sugar treated.
the No 1 Opal is Black opal. This is basically colours on a dark background (it’s dark grey actually). The body tone or “darkness” has a rating as does the strength and percentage of colourplay.
sometimes the colour play creates patterns that are named ie harlequin, or pin fire, broad flash, Chinese writing etc.
in terms of colour play, red is king. Next is orange, yellow, pink, purple, green and blue are the more common, less valuable colours,
Fun fact - the colour is determined by the size the micro spheres grow to, red requires the largest size micro spheres.
there are now some very convincing lab created Opals. Some are fake and awful looking but the premium material requires an experienced eye to detect of buying on line.
I have a few Opals. One is an Ethiopian opal, the others are Crystal white opal.DB7A4667-8E9B-45A0-A5E0-CC79BFC677DF.jpeg38A3ABA7-22E7-4E4E-A83A-5CB3970E1F29.jpeg5F56C178-FE8F-4AC6-B4AA-F6DE755F5763.jpeg20DA2123-802A-4A81-8DE0-090DE593FD22.jpeg919AB3DC-FC9B-4C64-B1A5-57AB42E90593.jpeg

I'm also curious about the play of color on Australian opals versus Ethiopian opals. From what I can tell Ethiopian opals seem to have more flashes of intense color.

G'day Matt :wavey:

Like any source for gemstones, Ethiopian Welo can produce fine coloured gems. However as @Bron357 has mentioned there are issues with Welo and it's hydrophane properties, it can absorb water and the look of the stone will change but will go back to normal again after a few days. As to how doing that repeatedly to a Welo Opal will affect it in the long run - I can't really answer that, my experience is limited to Aussie Opal that isn't bothered by water exposure or a lack of.

Ethiopian Opals are hydrophane material, they have a higher water content and if immersed in water will lose their “colour play”, this returns as the opal dries out (hours to a few days).
Ethiopian Opals are translucent often with a yellowish base.
Natural Black, or dark base, Ethiopian opals need to purchased with caution, there is a procedure called smoking (or dyeing, remember they absorb water) that makes the base darker.
Australian Opals come in a few varieties.
White Opal (the cheapest) is opaque white with colourplay. Crystal Opal is most like Ethiopian in that it’s translucent and can have a clear background or darker (often called semi black). Jelly Opal is almost transparent with colour play.
then there’s Boulder Opal, the opal is dispersed through iron stone.
there’s also opal fossils and Matrix Opals which is sugar treated.
the No 1 Opal is Black opal. This is basically colours on a dark background (it’s dark grey actually). The body tone or “darkness” has a rating as does the strength and percentage of colourplay.
sometimes the colour play creates patterns that are named ie harlequin, or pin fire, broad flash, Chinese writing etc.
in terms of colour play, red is king. Next is orange, yellow, pink, purple, green and blue are the more common, less valuable colours,
Fun fact - the colour is determined by the size the micro spheres grow to, red requires the largest size micro spheres.
there are now some very convincing lab created Opals. Some are fake and awful looking but the premium material requires an experienced eye to detect of buying on line.
I have a few Opals. One is an Ethiopian opal, the others are Crystal white opal.DB7A4667-8E9B-45A0-A5E0-CC79BFC677DF.jpeg38A3ABA7-22E7-4E4E-A83A-5CB3970E1F29.jpeg5F56C178-FE8F-4AC6-B4AA-F6DE755F5763.jpeg20DA2123-802A-4A81-8DE0-090DE593FD22.jpeg919AB3DC-FC9B-4C64-B1A5-57AB42E90593.jpeg

Beautiful! And HUGE. :geek2::kiss2:

Like any source for gemstones, Ethiopian Welo can produce fine coloured gems. However as @Bron357 has mentioned there are issues with Welo and it's hydrophane properties, it can absorb water and the look of the stone will change but will go back to normal again after a few days. As to how doing that repeatedly to a Welo Opal will affect it in the long run - I can't really answer that, my experience is limited to Aussie Opal that isn't bothered by water exposure or a lack of.

Thanks!!

I did a quick look at some of the opals on your site, and they are truly magnificent. but I was looking for a significantly lower price point. :shock:

Do you offer cheaper common white Australian opals in those sizes that still have very nice play of color? I'm specifically looking for a roughly 8x6mm opal that is slightly smaller than average in diameter for a ring and a pair of perfectly matched 7x5 mm Australian opals for earrings. I'm thinking a 10x8 oval would be pretty costly even for one of the more common white Australian opals, however.

The opal in your avatar is to die for...

You might consider doublets.
these are a slice of opal affixed to a base, they are a way of using opal material that is too thin to be used by itself.
C6FC7FF9-DC4F-4C4B-AE2D-069C727687BA.jpeg63AA8FB1-4B14-4A48-958E-5590442C9396.jpeg

A doublet or triplet (opal sliver with backing) is a much cheaper option but never put it near water or chemicals so wear it with care;

If you don't mind a paler Aussie opal search places like Etsy put in 10 x 8 Australian opal and see what you can find;

flashopal.com
has a store in ebay too .
And :
blackopaldirect.com

Last edited:
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP

Featured Topics