shape
carat
color
clarity

Best size for everyday wear diamond studs

DiamondsNPearls

Brilliant_Rock
They are round brilliant! I don't want them too big or gaudy, but perfect for everyday wear. Is 1ct or 1.5ct too much?

Thanks all & Happy Holidays!

What about 3 prong or 4 prong? Which is more typical? I like the martini look but also the classic 4 prong.

This to me is like color preference on a stone. It’s subjective. I say if you can afford 3 - 4 tcw then go for it! Or go bigger if you wish. I am just under 1 ctw and I love my studs so much! They are also ACA’s so pack a mighty little punch. I love studs in all sizes. I don’t discriminate. :bigsmile:

This to me is like color preference on a stone. It’s subjective. I say if you can afford 3 - 4 tcw then go for it! Or go bigger if you wish. I am just under 1 ctw and I love my studs so much! They are also ACA’s so pack a mighty little punch. I love studs in all sizes. I do t discriminate. :bigsmile:

ACA??

A Cut Above, the Whiteflash branded super ideal diamonds.

Have you looked at the “show me your diamond studs” thread? I think size preference REALLY depends on your ears/face and lifestyle. That thread has so many lovely examples, it might help to scroll through and get a sense of what looks good to you. You can always get some cheap CZs in different sizes to test what looks best for you on your ear before committing to diamonds.

DSS is real! At one time I thought 1 ctw was about right for everyday diamond studs but now I'd say 2ctw.

Also, I prefer four prongs because three prongs leaves less backup if one prong gets loose and also because I feel like three prongs gives a slightly triangular look to the earrings. (Four prongs gives them a slightly square look but personally I like it better).

Last edited:
If you go with a vendor with a good trade up policy, you don't have to worry about getting it right. I used to think 1/2 carat per ear was enough, I'm now up to 1.35 carats per ear, and want to upgrade one more time to 1.6-1.7 per ear.
I had the 3 prong martinis and didn't care too much for them. I really like the 6 prong settings the best.
And I agree size of studs depend on size of your earlobe and lifestyle.
Fun decision to make! Good luck!

This to me is like color preference on a stone. It’s subjective. I say if you can afford 3 - 4 tcw then go for it! Or go bigger if you wish. I am just under 1 ctw and I love my studs so much! They are also ACA’s so pack a mighty little punch. I love studs in all sizes. I don’t discriminate. :bigsmile:

I, too, have ACAs in the 90-pointer range each diamond. Set in 3-prong martinis. Amazing. Can see across the room. Also are E color so really powerful presentation. I think they are large enough for me. They stand out so much because of their quality and color that I would be embarrassed/self-conscious if larger. I am also petite with small ears, 5’2”, thin, so a taller person, larger lobes, etc. might want larger???

I, too, have ACAs in the 90-pointer range each diamond. Set in 3-prong martinis. Amazing. Can see across the room. Also are E color so really powerful presentation. I think they are large enough for me. They stand out so much because of their quality and color that I would be embarrassed/self-conscious if larger. I am also petite with small ears, 5’2”, thin, so a taller person, larger lobes, etc. might want larger???

I'm on the tall side, but have small elfish ears lol

If you go with a vendor with a good trade up policy, you don't have to worry about getting it right. I used to think 1/2 carat per ear was enough, I'm now up to 1.35 carats per ear, and want to upgrade one more time to 1.6-1.7 per ear.
I had the 3 prong martinis and didn't care too much for them. I really like the 6 prong settings the best.
And I agree size of studs depend on size of your earlobe and lifestyle.
Fun decision to make! Good luck!

Where am I able to get 6 prong setting diamond studs?

Where am I able to get 6 prong setting diamond studs?

I know Whiteflash has them. The 6 prong martini setting which I have had and it is beautiful.

They also have a 6 prong custom setting, which is called something like the crown setting? Not sure of the exact name. It is definitely pricer. I have that setting now and love it.
I can't find a link for that one. I'll keep looking.

I know Whiteflash has them. The 6 prong martini setting which I have had and it is beautiful.

They also have a 6 prong custom setting, which is called something like the crown setting? Not sure of the exact name. It is definitely pricer. I have that setting now and love it.
I can't find a link for that one. I'll keep looking.

Thanks, it would be nice if there were some that are already "premade" "ready to wear" if you know what I mean, I see James Allen has some pretty 6-prong styles but they don't go above 1ct..

I didn't know you were looking for ready to wear. I'm pretty sure those won't be upgradeable so just be sure you like the size you get!

The best size will vary with the wearer.

Factors may be:
Budget.
How YOU prioritize the 4 Cs - you may feel clarity, color, and cut are more important than carat weight. - Yes, that is possible.
What size is usually worn in your social circle and workplace
How you feel about being a conformist vs. doing your own thing.
How important approval from others is vs. being your own person and maybe even making a statement by not conforming to social expectations.

IOW, there is no right or wrong here so do whatever pleases you.

Hi!
Maybe something to consider is if you want to wear them to sleep or you want to take them out every night.
Up to .5 carat I think would be comfortable to sleep in. Any bigger than that you would have to remove them before bed.
Same thing with cradling a phone in your ear.
Just something to think about.. :wavey:

As all the other posters have said, it’s very personal and depends on a variety of factors.

I had been wondering the same thing as you. I did try on 1 ctw studs, and felt I could go bigger. But the 2ctw studs seemed too big for every day wear. I have small earlobes. And the 2 ctw studs sort of flopped downwards on my ears.

I do think that your lifestyle, personal comfort level, and earlobe size would be the determining factors.

Another possibility is to get a size that you can easily find jackets for, either at the same time you buy the studs or if the studs start to seem a little small to you later on.

Last edited:
Hi!
Maybe something to consider is if you want to wear them to sleep or you want to take them out every night.
Up to .5 carat I think would be comfortable to sleep in. Any bigger than that you would have to remove them before bed.

For sure I take all my jewelry off to sleep! :mrgreen2:

I didn't know you were looking for ready to wear. I'm pretty sure those won't be upgradeable so just be sure you like the size you get!

Ready to wear isn't the only option, but it is one option :D

Hi!

This! I like leaving mine on.

I never take mine off. I am close to 1ctw.

I have .91 and .93 studs, roughly 6.2mm in diameter, and *for me* they are currently perfect for daily wear.

I had 5.5mm moissanite studs for years, upgraded to 6.5mm, lost one of those ones, and decided it was time for diamonds. I loved my 5.5mm (roughly 1.33 cttw) in the 3 prong martini, the 6.5mm in a 6 prong martini (2 cttw) felt just a little too big so I had been looking for roughly 6mm to split the difference, as I actually preferred the slightly smaller size on myself.

Ideal cuts with F/VVS2/VS1 pack quite a punch, and while they definitely have presence they are not overwhelming. They are the largest diamond studs in my social circle by far, but I have clients who come in wearing studs that make mine look puny.

1.5 cttw would be noticeable without being overwhelming in my opinion, but perfect for everyone is going to vary.

Mine at 2.3 ctw. I wore 24/7 for 4 years straight. Only off to wash. Perfectly satisfied until one day the looked small. But it did take 4 years. And martini settings grew uncomfortable, digging into my piercing. Need to reset mine and go bigger. Not a priority since one wearing VCA now and those give me a bigger look.

Depends on your ears. I have 1.6 ctw (6mm each) and they look pretty understated because of my giant earflaps. For me, this is a great everyday size.

I agree with the advice usually posted on here--get a set of inexpensive CZ studs and see which size suits you best.

I agree with other comments above depending on earlobe size. I’ve got large lobes and I recently bought 1.80ct and they are no way too big on my ears.

If they do ever get too small I’d seriously consider a earlobe reduction because it’s surely got to cost less than up grading:lol:

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP