shape
carat
color
clarity

Best tool to read inscriptions

1955FL

Rough_Rock
I started off by purchasing a BelOMO 10x loupe. Shipping is taking way too long so I quickly purchase a cheap 30/60x combo loupe on Amazon.

The 30x/60x loupe was just ok, I knew there had to be something sharper. While using the 12mm 60x loupe the diamond was basically touching the loupe.

I went back on online and purchased the Nikon 10x loupe. This thing is tiny at 13mm but the image was much sharper!

I thought I could return the 30/60x combo, but then I realized I can't see the GIA inscription with a 10x loupe. I've read a well-trained eye can see the inscription with a 10x triplet loupe... i just cannot strain my eyes to do so.

What's the best tool option for reading inscriptions without spending hundreds of dollars? 60x, 100x, or more, what are your recommendations?

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
30x loupe should be ample or take it to a jeweler who has a microscope

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
I use Carson MM-380 that can attach to the phone camera for extra zoom.

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
If I use reading glasses I can see mine with a 10x loupe. Now, actually reading every little number and seeing it are two different things, but you might try it. I find that I can read the “A Cut Above” inscription but not the GIA number as it seems to be in smaller font. Simply being able to see it, even if I can’t read it, is sufficient for me, though.

Worth a shot if you have readers sitting around.

1955FL

Rough_Rock
I use Carson MM-380 that can attach to the phone camera for extra zoom.

I'll have to try this out! Thanks for the recommendation.

1955FL

Rough_Rock
I just received the BelOMO and it's so much brighter and easier to use than the tiny Nikon. I can just barely see the GIA inscription when the light hits the faceted girdle.
My only complaint is the BelOMO came with the box seal cut open.

I'll be returning the Nikon and keep the cheap 30/60x.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results