shape
carat
color
clarity

Best value on a 2ct round? color vs clarity

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sconset

Rough_Rock
I never thought that finding the right diamond would be harder than finding the right girl but it''s starting to look that way. I''m looking to take the plunge soon & am interested in hearing what folks believe the optimal trade-off is between color & clarity. I''m looking to buy a ~2ct pebble with a budget of 25-35k. Ideally I''d find a D-F, ideal, vvs1 or better but can''t seem to improve beyond 1.7ct or so for the money, or 2ct w/strong fluoro, so it looks like I''ll have to give something up. I''m not against fluoro but since I''m doing much of my search online it''s too difficult to draw the distinction between beautiful and too blue and I''d prefer not to go down that path & deal with returning it if it''s unsatisfactory in sunlight. We''ve decided on a low Mark Patterson platinum setting & I''m wondering where it''s best to compromise to get to the 2ct without having a diamond that looks less than top notch. Any suggestions?

Date: 11/30/2008 1:18:57 PM
Author:sconset
I never thought that finding the right diamond would be harder than finding the right girl but it's starting to look that way. I'm looking to take the plunge soon & am interested in hearing what folks believe the optimal trade-off is between color & clarity. I'm looking to buy a ~2ct pebble with a budget of 25-35k. Ideally I'd find a D-F, ideal, vvs1 or better but can't seem to improve beyond 1.7ct or so for the money, or 2ct w/strong fluoro, so it looks like I'll have to give something up. I'm not against fluoro but since I'm doing much of my search online it's too difficult to draw the distinction between beautiful and too blue and I'd prefer not to go down that path & deal with returning it if it's unsatisfactory in sunlight. We've decided on a low Mark Patterson platinum setting & I'm wondering where it's best to compromise to get to the 2ct without having a diamond that looks less than top notch. Any suggestions?
Welcome to Pricescope,

It is cut which gives a diamond its beauty so it is important to concentrate on that to end up with a beautiful rock. As to colour, D to G ( GIA or AGS graded) can be a good range with which to start and as for clarity, many VS stones can be completely eyeclean. Also you could consider SI1 if verified eyeclean by a trusted vendor, should you need to broaden the options.

As to fluorescence it is rare that it will have a negative effect on a diamond, and that is only strong to very strong blue, but maybe if you are unsure, stick to diamonds with negligible, faint or medium blue so you won't see too much of an effect from it.

Here are some diamonds to show you as an example of what you could get.

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-1466924.htm

http://www.bluenile.com/round-diamond-2-carat-signature-ideal-cut-g-color-vs2-clarity_LD01322724

Date: 11/30/2008 1:22:49 PM
Author: Lorelei

I never thought that finding the right diamond would be harder than finding the right girl but it''s starting to look that way. I''m looking to take the plunge soon & am interested in hearing what folks believe the optimal trade-off is between color & clarity. I''m looking to buy a ~2ct pebble with a budget of 25-35k. Ideally I''d find a D-F, ideal, vvs1 or better but can''t seem to improve beyond 1.7ct or so for the money, or 2ct w/strong fluoro, so it looks like I''ll have to give something up. I''m not against fluoro but since I''m doing much of my search online it''s too difficult to draw the distinction between beautiful and too blue and I''d prefer not to go down that path & deal with returning it if it''s unsatisfactory in sunlight. We''ve decided on a low Mark Patterson platinum setting & I''m wondering where it''s best to compromise to get to the 2ct without having a diamond that looks less than top notch. Any suggestions?

Welcome to Pricescope,

It is cut which gives a diamond its beauty so it is important to concentrate on that to end up with a beautiful rock. As to colour, D to G ( GIA or AGS graded) can be a good range with which to start and as for clarity, many VS stones can be completely eyeclean. Also you could consider SI1 if verified eyeclean by a trusted vendor, should you need to broaden the options.

As to fluorescence it is rare that it will have a negative effect on a diamond, and that is only strong to very strong blue, but maybe if you are unsure, stick to diamonds with negligible, faint or medium blue so you won''t see too much of an effect from it.

Agreed! I would prefer to sacrifice clarity anyday, because that is something you can''t see. Color, you can see to a point but I would be happy to go down to a G at least. But at least it''s something you can see with your eyes, so I''d rather pay for color over clarity.

OH YEAH, listen to Lorelei she is awesome, her choices are GREAT!

CCCCUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cut trumps color or clarity, and you can get into high colors with SI clarities and stay well above 2cts.

Many of my clients find strong to very strong blue to be a blessing and an enhancement to their appreciation of their diamond, even in the D and E colors.

I suggest you contact any of the respected vendors here, what you want is not that hard to find. All of them have a generous inspect and return policy so you have no real risk in looking at any of their stones other than the postage and insurance and your time.

Wink

I appreciate the suggestions (& specific examples Lorelei!). I left out cut as a top cut is one of the ''non-negotiables'' like carat so color/clarity are the only variables for me at the moment. I''m leaning towards sacrificing on clarity and sticking w/D-F on the color. She has some brilliant earrings I''d bot for her last year which are E/VVS1/ex H&A and I don''t want the ring to look worse than those. She''s never asked me for anything but after trying various settings on I know she really has her heart set on a 2ct diamond so I''d like to do the best I can for her.

I''ll probably do some more digging here for Manhattan B&M recommendations as there''s some great info on this site and try to see the difference in person. Also, given the 1.5-3% weekly price drops in the price of raw diamonds that''s occurring I''m tempted to hold off until after New Year''s & see if I can get a slightly better deal.

Date: 11/30/2008 4:44:20 PM
Author: sconset
I appreciate the suggestions (& specific examples Lorelei!). I left out cut as a top cut is one of the ''non-negotiables'' like carat so color/clarity are the only variables for me at the moment. I''m leaning towards sacrificing on clarity and sticking w/D-F on the color. She has some brilliant earrings I''d bot for her last year which are E/VVS1/ex H&A and I don''t want the ring to look worse than those. She''s never asked me for anything but after trying various settings on I know she really has her heart set on a 2ct diamond so I''d like to do the best I can for her.

I''ll probably do some more digging here for Manhattan B&M recommendations as there''s some great info on this site and try to see the difference in person. Also, given the 1.5-3% weekly price drops in the price of raw diamonds that''s occurring I''m tempted to hold off until after New Year''s & see if I can get a slightly better deal.

Engagement Rings Direct is a vendor in the diamond district who is fabulous. And Good Old Gold is on Long Island and they are fabulous too (they have a B&M store, ERD you need to make an appointment to go to their office), but that is where I would start near Manhattan...

I never thought I wanted to go below VVS clarity and F color diamonds but I took the plunge and ended up with a gorgeous H/SI1 Jubilee which I love. If you can handle that color/clarity, here is a nice one from GoodOldGold.com:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/4884/

Here are several just under the 2 ct. range, but in higher colors:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/4843/

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/4755/

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/5065/ This one looks particularly yummy IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP