shape
carat
color
clarity

Bezel pendant dilemma

Scooba116

Shiny_Rock
I recently inherited my grandmother’s engagement diamond, it’s only a 1/2 carat round but super sentimental. I just came from the jeweler and decided to set it in a bezel pendant on a .5mm, 15” YG chain. I wanted to do a fixed bezel with the chain centered on either side at 9 o’clock and 3 o’clock. The jeweler warned me that the flipping would be awful and convinced me to do a sliding bezel that is counter balanced so the chain will come out at like 10-11 o’clock and 1-2 o’clock. Does this make sense? Will it really stop the flipping? or should I just go with the look I prefer?

Scooba116

Shiny_Rock
I recently inherited my grandmother’s engagement diamond, it’s only a 1/2 carat round but super sentimental. I just came from the jeweler and decided to set it in a bezel pendant on a .5mm, 15” YG chain. I wanted to do a fixed bezel with the chain centered on either side at 9 o’clock and 3 o’clock. The jeweler warned me that the flipping would be awful and convinced me to do a sliding bezel that is counter balanced so the chain will come out at like 10-11 o’clock and 1-2 o’clock. Does this make sense? Will it really stop the flipping? or should I just go with the look I prefer?

Also, it’s not ideally cut, being very old, and it has a large cloud in the pavilion that’s also affects its performance. I was afraid that a bezel setting would further inhibit light return and make it look even smaller but the jeweler disagreed. What do you all think?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
in my country 1/2 carrat is not small
sorry i cant help with the flipping but a pendant is a wonderful idea to keep grandma (and grandad)close

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer a sliding pendant on a chain. If the jeweler is telling you up front that he knows it will flip, I would tend to listen to him. I am sure this special diamond will make a beautiful pendant for you!!!

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I too prefer a sliding pendant on a chain. If you really want a fixed pendant, I wouldn't center the chain at 3 and 9 o'clock as the jeweler is correct. But you could do a fixed chain at 2 and 10. That would probably reduce the flipping. I have one fixed pendant set that way. The chain is short so that the stone sits right in my clavicle so it doesn't flip. However with a longer chain, I think it would flip a bit more, but still less than the 3 and 9 o'clock option.
IMG_7589.JPG

Also, bezel will often make a stone look larger. I just took a quick photo of two of my pendants, one fixed and one bezeled. The stone in the bezel is actually smaller than the one in the fixed pendant. But it doesn't really appear to be.

IMG_7592.JPG

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results