shape
carat
color
clarity

BG LGD Select vs. Deluxe vs. Premium

BarbieB

Rough_Rock
Hi there!

I am looking at potentially upgrading my E-ring center stone. I currently have a 1.2 Brian Gavin H&A signature, I color and SI1 clarity. It’s set in their Truth x3 setting with two .33 side stones on each side. I’ve had this ring for about 14 years (an upgrade from my original), but lately the DSS has been sinking in pretty bad and I want to upgrade the center stone.

I’m considering upgrading with a lab grown diamond for the center stone, and keeping my natural diamond for a pendant or something else. I would like to try and get anywhere from a 2.2-3.0 round center diamond. I’ve found that my most important priorities are cut and size, and I’ve been looking at the BG lab grown diamonds and watching prices. I guess I should say my other priority is price-I haven’t really looked at a budget for an upgrade, but let’s just say the less expensive it is, the quicker I can get it (haha). Ideally, I’d like to keep the diamond around $3000-$3500 or less since I’ll have to spend money on a new setting (I asked and they said they couldn’t use my current setting).

My question is around the different BG stones. I realize the premium stones are the crème of the crop, but curious if the deluxe and select would also be good options or if I would be disappointed in the quality. The premium, and a lot of the deluxe, are waaaay pricier than the select. I really just want something that will be like my current BG Signature in terms of sparkle and cut.

I appreciate the help. This community helped me when I did my upgrade 14 years ago and I love looking through and learning from everyone!

BG premium and deluxe are in-house stones that have already been vetted and not available anywhere else, similar to their signature lines of natural diamonds. BG select are virtual stones from their suppliers that may also be available from other vendors, similar to their virtual selection of natural diamonds.

Oh, that makes sense-thank you!! Do you know if there’s a big discrepancy in quality between premium or deluxe, or is it just on a stone by stone basis? I’m an amateur and can’t really see any difference in the ASET images between the premium and deluxe, but the premium is more expensive on most of the stones.

Another question for anyone who is following-is it possible to get a LGD stone that performs like a BG signature for quite a bit less? I’ve been seeing on here that the experts are able to find stones for others, but I wasn’t sure if those are up to the cut quality.

Oh, that makes sense-thank you!! Do you know if there’s a big discrepancy in quality between premium or deluxe, or is it just on a stone by stone basis? I’m an amateur and can’t really see any difference in the ASET images between the premium and deluxe, but the premium is more expensive on most of the stones.
IMO it’s on a stone by stone basis. GIA/AGS reports for premium vs IGI reports for deluxe account for some of the price difference.

Another question for anyone who is following-is it possible to get a LGD stone that performs like a BG signature for quite a bit less? I’ve been seeing on here that the experts are able to find stones for others, but I wasn’t sure if those are up to the cut quality.
It’s certainly possible to find unbranded stones that perform as well as branded H&A rounds, but it may take a couple of tries or returns as the lower cost vendors generally don’t provide the necessary vetting.

Thank you-that makes a lot of sense and helps, I appreciate it!!

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP