shape
carat
color
clarity

Black Marks on Band after having ring rhodium plated

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

newlyengaged223

Rough_Rock
I just went to pick up my ring from the jeweler today after having it sent off to be rhodium plated. When they had the ring sized (the band is white gold), I got it back and the band looked gold. I was not happy with it, since the band is supposed to be white gold and brought it back. So they said they would have to send it to be rhodium plated. So, after waiting for a month to get the ring back, I got to pick it up and notice black marks in the band around the center stone (there are two rows of small diamonds on each side of the center stone), near the prongs, and on the band below where the small diamonds sit. So I asked the jeweler, and after acting like she couldn''t see them, when she looked under a microscope, she was then able to see them. Not sure why it took looking under a microscope for her to see them. They look like burn marks. Is this normal to get this once in a while after rhodium plating a band? At this point, I''m really questioning the quality of this jeweler and the people the work with. Also, I would think if I owned a jewelry shop, I would look over every piece of jewelry to make sure it was the best quality possible before giving it back to the customer. This is twice now that I have found very noticeable things wrong with the ring, things she didn''t even look for and should see on a very regular basis. Am I being too picky? I''m considering telling them to keep the ring and I will find better service elsewhere! Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Personally I would find another jeweler that doesn''t have to send a ring out to be rhodium plated! That is a very simple task and should only take a few minutes.

As for the marks, is it possible that it is polishing compound? That''s the only thing I can think of...

Thanks for the response! I''m from a fairly small area and so I would really have to do some research to see if there is anyone that does it in-house....but I will be sure to start checking. I wasn''t aware it was such a simple process!

Also, they tried to polish the marks out, but they will not come off. It really looks like it was burned or something. Would you question the quality of the jeweler? My fiance went through them because of a family member, but I would honestly like to just cut all ties with them. I''ve had the worst experience in dealing with them and they just don''t seem to know very much about anything, despite the fact that they''ve been in business for years. It just doesn''t add up.

Thanks again!

Date: 12/1/2008 7:16:27 PM
Author: newlyengaged223
Thanks for the response! I''m from a fairly small area and so I would really have to do some research to see if there is anyone that does it in-house....but I will be sure to start checking. I wasn''t aware it was such a simple process!

Also, they tried to polish the marks out, but they will not come off. It really looks like it was burned or something. Would you question the quality of the jeweler? My fiance went through them because of a family member, but I would honestly like to just cut all ties with them. I''ve had the worst experience in dealing with them and they just don''t seem to know very much about anything, despite the fact that they''ve been in business for years. It just doesn''t add up.

Thanks again!

Yes, I would certainly question the quality of the jeweler if they can''t/won''t fix a problem they caused.

The plating process is fairly simple. After steam-cleaning, your ring goes into a solution of rhodium. The ring is electrically charged one way, the solution the opposite way, and the rhodium molecules adhere to the metal; plating the piece like a coat of paint.

Of course the ring must be thoroughly cleaned beforehand. Further, the piece won''t plate properly if the solution is weak or old & dirty. It''s possible this was the case wherever your jeweler outsourced the job.

They sent a ring out for a month just to be rhodium plated?!?!?! That''s appauling! I had 2 rings rhodium plated on Friday, which took all of about 30 minutes. Your "jeweler" is not actually a jeweler if they outsource rhodium plating, or anything really as far as I''m concerned. A good jeweler should be able to do all or most all work in-house.

Absolutely, you should question the quality of this "jeweler."
29.gif

Date: 12/1/2008 7:32:43 PM
Author: John Pollard
The plating process is fairly simple. After steam-cleaning, your ring goes into a solution of rhodium. The ring is electrically charged one way, the solution the opposite way, and the rhodium molecules adhere to the metal; plating the piece like a coat of paint.

Of course the ring must be thoroughly cleaned beforehand. Further, the piece won''t plate properly if the solution is weak or old & dirty. It''s possible this was the case wherever your jeweler outsourced the job.
John hit the nail on the head.
Contamination of one sort or another is the problem.

Ask for your money back and take it to someone else. It''s just bizarre why they would have the ring so long for plating, sounds fishy to me!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP