shape
carat
color
clarity

bowtie on an oval solitaire

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

smile020

Rough_Rock

I have always wanted an east/west oval solitaire setting, but was recently told that setting an oval diamond e/w makes the bowtie bigger. Is that true? Any other suggestions if that doesn''t work out for me?

Thanks!
Smile020

no, it''s not true.

Beware of an E-W set marquise
It will recalibrate your refrigerator''s coolness setting so all your ice cream goes melty.

It will demagnetize the strips on all your credit cards, screw up the tracking on your television and use subspace field harmonics to scratch any CDs you try to play.

It will give your ex-girlfriend your new phone number.

It will mix Kool-aid into your fishtank.

It will drink all your beer and leave dirty socks on the coffee table when company comes over.

It will put a dead aardvark in the back pocket of your good suit pants and hide your car keys when you are late for work.

An E-W set marquise will make you fall in love with a penguin.

It will give you nightmares about circus midgets.

It will pour sugar in your gas tank and shave off both your eyebrows while dating your girlfriend behind your back and billing the dinner and hotel room to your Discover card.

It moves your car randomly around parking lots so you can''t find it.

It will leave libidinous messages on your boss''s voice mail in your voice!

An E-W set marquise will give you Dutch Elm disease.

It will leave the toilet seat up.

It will leave bacon cooking on the stove while it goes out to chase gradeschoolers with your new snowblower.

An E-W set marquise will cause your cakes to fall and your blood pressure to rise.

It will increase the ability of your radio to pick up reactionary talk stations at the expense of others.

It prevents scurvy, but it gives you mega garlic breath as it does so, which makes the net results negative.

It cheats at Scrabble.

It can forge your signature.

It plays the bagpipes in your basement.

It shaves over your bathroom sink and then leaves the hair to clog your drain.

It does bad celebrity impersonations in front of your friends.

It is insidious and subtle. It is dangerous and terrifying to behold. It is also a rather interesting shade of mauve.*

(* Fancy colour E-W set marquises only)

Sorry, but it was too much to resist
2.gif

oldmancoyote who are you? hahahaHA!! You're making me giggle!
36.gif

*gold medal goes to oldmancoyote!!*

smile020--if an oval has a bowtie, the bow tie will be obvious in any orientation, but hopefully it won't commit any of the acts that oldmancoyote forewarns!

Date: 12/1/2008 7:45:05 PM
Author: coatimundi
oldmancoyote who are you? hahahaHA!! You''re making me giggle!
36.gif

*gold medal goes to oldmancoyote!!*

smile020--if an oval has a bowtie, the bow tie will be obvious in any orientation, but hopefully it won''t commit any of the acts that oldmancoyote forewarns!
Totally agree - if the diamond has a bow-tie if will show up in any setting

Just to illustrate this: here are some examples of E to W oval rings

oval onica.jpg

Thanks Indira! Great pics!
35.gif

Not that simple....
The same effect that causes bow ties is what causes the huge dark zone in the picture above that I pointed an arrow at in the image below.
A oval with bow ties will often look worse e/w but careful selection can minimize the problem.
If it doesn't have one n/s then it is not likely to have the e/w problem.

ovalonica1.jpg

For example this one is not likely to have them no matter how you turn it.
Design%20oval%20claire.jpg

Bottom line cut counts even in ovals you can''t get away from the pesky angle matches.

Date: 12/2/2008 5:38:25 AM
Author: strmrdr
Not that simple....
The same effect that causes bow ties is what causes the huge dark zone in the picture above that I pointed an arrow at in the image below.
A oval with bow ties will often look worse e/w but careful selection can minimize the problem.
Storm - i agree that picture is not so good - the photo was take by one of my diamond trader colleagues rather than a professional photographer. I presented it as an example of an E/W setting rather than as a perfect photo of the diamond.
In real life - this diamond dazzles - that is how the client chose it by viewing it in person in different lighting conditions when it was loose and in comparison from a bunch of other oval diamonds.

Date: 12/2/2008 4:15:21 AM
Author: Lorelei
Thanks Indira! Great pics!
35.gif
Thanks Lorelei - as there are so few designs for E/W around in gereral, I thought I would post some
35.gif

Date: 12/2/2008 6:13:32 AM
Author: Indira-London
Date: 12/2/2008 5:38:25 AM

Author: strmrdr

Not that simple....

Storm - i agree that picture is not so good - the photo was take by one of my diamond trader colleagues rather than a professional photographer. I presented it as an example of an E/W setting rather than as a perfect photo of the diamond.

In real life - this diamond dazzles - that is how the client choose it by viewing it in person in different lighting conditions when it was loose and in comparison from a bunch of other oval diamonds.
Some people might never notice it and it would only be in some lighting but it is there, it would drive me nuts....
All I am saying is paying careful attention to contrast patterns can weed them out.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP