shape
carat
color
clarity

Buyer''s remorse - 1.21 G VS2 EGL $6,522 "Ideal"

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

emcb1230

Rough_Rock
After about a month or so of research, I decided to purchase a EGL cert 1.21 G VS2 for $6,522 from a B&M. The diamond is an "ideal" cut with 62.3% depth and 57% table. The Symmetry is Excellent and the Polish is Very Good. I''m skeptical that its actually an ideal cut because the store uses the generic terms "signature ideal, excellent ideal, ideal and premium" as their cut descriptions.

Any thoughts on this purchase? I''m having serious buyer remorse issues right now. It was originally priced at $9,317, a price which seems completely ridiculous. Let''s say the EGL grading was soft on color and its an H. Is $6,522 reasonable for this stone if its an H? My other consideration was a AGS cert 1.22 F SI1 eyeclean "signature ideal" cut for $8,094 and the two looked, with an untrained eye, pretty similar.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Do you have the other numbers for the diamond? And which EGL is it? USA, Israel, Europe? Depending on which lab, your grading could be on point or could be as much as a few color and clarities off.

I would spend some time with the tools above under PRICES to see if you think you are getting a fair deal. And yes you are right to be concerned that it's just the vendor deciding to put the term "ideal" on something.

And when you say they looked similar, was this just under the lights in the jewelry store? Or did you get to take it into different lighting conditions? It's really important to see stones under as many different lights as possible, as that is where the difference between an ideal stone and a not so ideal stone are.

emcb1230

Rough_Rock
Thanks Neatfreak. I''m thinking its EGL Israel as it has 10 numbers in the certification. Now I''m really regreting buying this diamond.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi EMCB,

Are you still within the return window for this diamond? Also do you have the crown and pavilion percentages for the diamond, girdle and the diameter as Neat says?

emcb1230

Rough_Rock
Hi Lorelei. I''m still within the return period (7 days). I''m scheduled to pick it up sometime next week. The girdle is STK = slightly thick. Measurements are 6.77 - 6.75 X 4.21. No crown and pavilion angles or % right now. I was pretty flustered when I left the store and forgot to write them down. Also, I only looked at the diamond while in store but was able to compare it to F & H colors.

The diamond is for an engagement ring. So obviously the most important thing is that she loves the ring....and I hope that I picked one that she will love. I just have a nagging feeling that I didn''t get good value. The EGL Israel cert thing has really reinforced that.

:)

Brilliant_Rock
I was going to recommend taking it to an independent appraiser to see what the color and clarity are, and what the stone is valued at (a quick search shows the price is in line with stones with EGL reports on line), but your nagging feeling might be telling you something. Since it is in line with other EGL prices, and you have seen it with your own eyes, the question becomes if you (and her if she has seen it) love it. If yes, and you can get over the nagging feeling, then you could consider keeping it. If you either did not love it, or cannot get over the nagging feeling, then return it.

emcb1230

Rough_Rock
Yeah, I think an independent appraisal will help ease some of my worries. This may be a stupid question but can they appraise a diamond while its in the setting?

:)

Brilliant_Rock
That is not a stupid question at all! Appraisals can be done in a setting, although they are not as thorough as when the stone is loose. It is harder to grade color that way as color grading is done in the upside down position, so he/she will only be able to give you a face up estimate on color. Prongs can also hide inclusions sometimes which can also make it more difficult to appraise. Make sure you go to in independent appraiser (who does not sell jewelry, or try to refer you to anyone else after telling you how horrible your stone is!)

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/5/2008 11:21:39 AM
Author: :)
That is not a stupid question at all! Appraisals can be done in a setting, although they are not as thorough as when the stone is loose. It is harder to grade color that way as color grading is done in the upside down position, so he/she will only be able to give you a face up estimate on color. Prongs can also hide inclusions sometimes which can also make it more difficult to appraise. Make sure you go to in independent appraiser (who does not sell jewelry, or try to refer you to anyone else after telling you how horrible your stone is!)
Good work doc!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

em, an appraisal is your best bet and will give you a better idea.

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
Especially if this is not EGL-USA I vote against the appraisal and apply the money towards a different stone. GIA or AGSL G-VS2 or F-SI1 same size nice ideal is only about $1000-1500 difference so if your appraisal is $100-200 it would go a long way towards a mind-clean stone (that you still could have evaluated before set).

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/5/2008 11:50:20 AM
Author: elmo
Especially if this is not EGL-USA I vote against the appraisal and apply the money towards a different stone. GIA or AGSL G-VS2 or F-SI1 same size nice ideal is only about $1000-1500 difference so if your appraisal is $100-200 it would go a long way towards a mind-clean stone (that you still could have evaluated before set).
I don't know what the OP's budget is, but maybe he can't stretch it to spend that much extra....If he could though that is an option.

emb, can you call the vendor and get the crown and pavilion percentages? While they are not as accurate as angles, they would give us a better idea of what you have cutwise anyway.

emcb1230

Rough_Rock
I really appreciate all this information. You''ve all been very helpful. My budget was $10k max. I ended up with the stone in question with a $2500 platinum setting for $9101. I could switch out the platinum with 18k white gold for $1940 and get the AGS F SI for $8094. That puts me a little over $10k. I''m seriously considering doing that.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/5/2008 12:07:01 PM
Author: emcb1230
I really appreciate all this information. You''ve all been very helpful. My budget was $10k max. I ended up with the stone in question with a $2500 platinum setting for $9101. I could switch out the platinum with 18k white gold for $1940 and get the AGS F SI for $8094. That puts me a little over $10k. I''m seriously considering doing that.
emb, call the jeweller and ask for the following info on the AGS diamond and if there is a cut grade such as AGS0, AGS1 etc. We will need the -

depth %
table%
crown angle
pavilion angle
polish and symmetry grades
girdle thickness
diameter measurement

emcb1230

Rough_Rock
Here are the % for the crown and pavilion on the 1.21 H VS1:

15% crown
43% pavilion

It came up with a 1.3 in the HCA.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/5/2008 12:31:57 PM
Here are the % for the crown and pavilion on the 1.21 H VS1:

15% crown
43% pavilion

It came up with a 1.3 in the HCA.
Just checking, these are for the EGL diamond first mentioned that you arranged to buy?

Dreamer1116

Shiny_Rock
How does the diamond look to you? Is it a beautiful diamond? I know for many, having a GIA or AGS certified diamond is really important. It received a good score on the HCA, and it seems like you liked the diamond until you read some not so favorable information on EGL. Remember, your future wife is going to be wearing the diamond not the certificate. However, if not having an GIA or AGS certed stone bothers you--well then perhaps you should return it. There are some gorgeous EGL, even EGL Isreal diamonds out there--so please don''t let the fact that the lab has a bad rep. on here be the only deciding factor.

GOOD LUCK!
9.gif

emcb1230

Rough_Rock
Yes. Those were stats for the EGL G 1.21 VS2 (original post).

Also the details of the AGS F 1.22 SI1 were:
Depth: 61.20%
Table: 55.90%
still working on the crown/pavilion angles

AGS Ideal 0 cut
Polish: EX
Symmetry: EX
Girdle: MED
Culet: NONE
Flourescence: NONE
Measurements: 6.90-6.92X4.24

The inclusion could be covered by a prong.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/5/2008 2:01:43 PM

Yes. Those were stats for the EGL G 1.21 VS2 (original post).

Also the details of the AGS F 1.22 SI1 were:

Depth: 61.20%
Table: 55.90%
still working on the crown/pavilion angles

AGS Ideal 0 cut

Polish: EX
Symmetry: EX
Girdle: MED
Culet: NONE
Flourescence: NONE
Measurements: 6.90-6.92X4.24

The inclusion could be covered by a prong.
Thanks! Ok it looks like the EGL diamond has a good cut, so that is a bonus. The AGS diamond looks extremely promising so definitely worth consideration.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/5/2008 10:51:23 AM
Hi Lorelei. I''m still within the return period (7 days). I''m scheduled to pick it up sometime next week. The girdle is STK = slightly thick. Measurements are 6.77 - 6.75 X 4.21. No crown and pavilion angles or % right now. I was pretty flustered when I left the store and forgot to write them down. Also, I only looked at the diamond while in store but was able to compare it to F & H colors.

The diamond is for an engagement ring. So obviously the most important thing is that she loves the ring....and I hope that I picked one that she will love. I just have a nagging feeling that I didn''t get good value. The EGL Israel cert thing has really reinforced that.
then return it and start over.

emcb1230

Rough_Rock
OK, here''s the final missing stats for the 1.22 F SI1 AGS:

Crown %: 14.8
Pavilion %: 43.3

Scores a 1.1 on the HCA as opposed to a 1.3 for the 1.21 G VS2 EGL.

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
Don''t assume that a lower HCA score means "better looks".

1) The HCA doesn''t work this way. It''s a reject tool, not a pick tool. Once you get below 2, other things come into play.

2) There''s no accounting for taste. You are the only one that''s seen both stones and can decide which one you like best.

emcb1230

Rough_Rock
I wanted to thank you all for your help on friday. I was feeling pretty anxious about my purchase so I set up an appointment to go back on Sunday morning. They had already mounted the EGL G stone and honestly, it looked fantastic. I actually had a "wow" moment when I opened the box and saw the stone in its setting for the first time. So I think my concerns about the quality of the diamond were calmed. It was a beautiful diamond EGL Israel cert or not.

Anyway after I took a look at both of the diamonds again, I decided to go with the AGS F Ideal Cut. The diamond is pretty spectacular and in the end, I just think I liked it better. I''m sure the extra $1500 won''t seem all that much when I look at the ring in 50 years.

So thanks again for your help. Pricescope was definitely a HUGE help before and after my purchase.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/8/2008 10:32:03 AM
I wanted to thank you all for your help on friday. I was feeling pretty anxious about my purchase so I set up an appointment to go back on Sunday morning. They had already mounted the EGL G stone and honestly, it looked fantastic. I actually had a ''wow'' moment when I opened the box and saw the stone in its setting for the first time. So I think my concerns about the quality of the diamond were calmed. It was a beautiful diamond EGL Israel cert or not.

Anyway after I took a look at both of the diamonds again, I decided to go with the AGS F Ideal Cut. The diamond is pretty spectacular and in the end, I just think I liked it better. I''m sure the extra $1500 won''t seem all that much when I look at the ring in 50 years.

So thanks again for your help. Pricescope was definitely a HUGE help before and after my purchase.

Yay! So glad you were able to switch to one you can feel "mind clean" about. We NEED pictures though! Congrats on your new ring!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/8/2008 10:33:07 AM
Author: neatfreak

Date: 12/8/2008 10:32:03 AM
I wanted to thank you all for your help on friday. I was feeling pretty anxious about my purchase so I set up an appointment to go back on Sunday morning. They had already mounted the EGL G stone and honestly, it looked fantastic. I actually had a ''wow'' moment when I opened the box and saw the stone in its setting for the first time. So I think my concerns about the quality of the diamond were calmed. It was a beautiful diamond EGL Israel cert or not.

Yay! So glad you were able to switch to one you can feel ''mind clean'' about. We NEED pictures though! Congrats on your new ring!
Congrats!!! So glad you are happy with your purchase!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results