shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying Pre-Owned Tiffany without Certificate?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jasmigie

Rough_Rock
Hi,

Fo some time now I have had my mind set on a Tiffany Ribbon e-ring. I recently started looking again and stumbled upon a pre-owned one locally (.48ct, VS1, F). It is owned currently by a private owner who originally purchased the ring from Tiffany locally. He has the original receipt and boxes, but no Tiffany diamond certificate.

He is willing to meet me at Tiffany and let me send out the ring for approximately 2 weeks to NY for a Valuation to be placed in my name (3rd party).

Unfortunately, when I inquired with Tiffany, they told me it is "policy" to not reissue the diamond certificate even if the original owner requests it. You get one when you buy it and thats it.

My questions is, is it acceptable to purchase this ring based solely upon the Tiffany valuation?

What are potential hurdles to not having the actual certificate? Can I obtain one independently? What is typical cost?

As for warranty, I do not expect Tiffany to warranty a pre-owned ring. I also have no problems with the "Karma" supposedly associated with pre-owned.

Purchasing this one would allow me to buy the ring I would truely love to give her, but probably could not afford otherwise.

Any helpful advice is much appreciated!

Jason

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
What about the one who is going to wear it? Would she mind if it was used?

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
That should be fine. Buying second hand is definitely a way to save some money and the authentication from Tiffany is the absolutely best way to guarantee that it's ‘genuine’ Tiffany merchandise. I agree, the warranty is a non-issue unless there’s some damage already (which the Tif people should tell you as part of their appraisal process).

There's likely to be a fee from Tiffany for this and you should be clear up front who will be responsible for paying them.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

jasmigie

Rough_Rock
Honestly I know she will love it. Pre-owned or not.

Thanks for the help. T&Co is charging $200 for the valuation. A little steep but who better to know their own products. I have agreed to pay as a desposit on the ring.

So is it worth trying to get an independent certificate for it? Would it affect value either way?

Thanks again!

Jason

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would think the valuation from Tiffany's would be all you need to prove authenticity and for insurances purposes. I'm a huge fan of purchasing designers second hand if you can and the future wearing wouldn't mind. I just love getting exactly what you want for for a much better price than the usual high end designer mark-up. The ribbon ring is beautiful, if you get it, please come back and show us pictures!!

ETA: and Neil is an expert so you can definitely trust his advice!

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
I love that ring setting - it is so different and feminine and beautiful. I''m sure she''ll be thrilled. My engagement ring was a second hand Tiffany ring and I love it. Mine did come with the certificate, but honestly what mattered to me was getting it appraised at Tiffany''s and once that was done I felt secure. Btw. for price I assume you''re getting at least 40% or so off retail? Maybe you should write up some sort of contract with this guy to protect yourself. At least write something out where you put $X deposit and $X is due.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love that ring. Please come back with pics once you get it!!!

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
I think it''s great! Can''t wait to see pics!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Should be gorgeous! Come back with pictures for sure!

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
If you love it and you know she''s going to love it and the price is right--get it. It''s a beautiful ring and you''ll have validation that it''s the real deal.

I own a 100 year old ring and have no idea how many people wore it or under what circumstances. It doesn''t bother me in the least. I am certain it will be around longer than I will.

jasmigie

Rough_Rock
Wow! I''m floored by all the encoragement!

I met the owner today at T&Co to take a look. It''s very beautiful.

We had everything pre-arranged with the Fine Jewelry Manager.

Based on the receipt, she pulled a printout of the cert details:

Round Brilliant
5.01-5.06 x 3.12mm
.48 carat
Color F
Flourescence none
Cut Excellent
Symmetry Very Good
Polish Very Good
Clairty VS1

Cut Proportions
Depth% 62.0
Table Size% 54
Crown Angle 34.5 deg
Pavillion Depth% 42.9
Girdle Thickness Thin to Medium
Girdle Finish Faceted
Cutlet None

I also was able to take a look for the registration laser inscription throught the scope. Now it''s off to NY for it''s valuation and resizing. I am confident that everything will check out. The owner seems like a genuine person.

I had some recipes written for both to sign to cover our bases. The cost of the valuation is my deposit on the ring. The store even agreed to require us both to be there to pickup the ring when it comes back since the Valuation is under my name.

So now it''s just time to wait. When it comes back I''ll definitely post pictures.

Any for those wondering, the ring was bought for $6100 and I am buying it for $3K plus the $200 valuation. Not a bad deal I would think.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds like you made a nice deal. Congratulations!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Great deal! Be sure to post some photos for us.

jasmigie

Rough_Rock
Ok, so now that I think the ring is all set, I''ve been thinking about presentation.

When you buy a new e-ring at T&Co they wrap the blue boxes with Tiffany blue paper and a white satin bow, correct?

I''ve seen what looks to be the exact wrapping paper online and have read the bows are 3/4" white satin ribbon.

Can anyone confirm this. Details are everything to me!

Thanks again,

Jason

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since you are paying Tiffany for the valuation, why not have THEM wrap the ring?

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/29/2010 8:29:05 PM
Author: jasmigie
Ok, so now that I think the ring is all set, I''ve been thinking about presentation.

When you buy a new e-ring at T&Co they wrap the blue boxes with Tiffany blue paper and a white satin bow, correct?

I''ve seen what looks to be the exact wrapping paper online and have read the bows are 3/4'' white satin ribbon.

Can anyone confirm this. Details are everything to me!

Thanks again,

Jason
Yes that''s correct. But I think when you go to pick up the ring, they will be more than happy to put it in a ring box and wrap it up for you. You are paying for the ring to be sized and re evaluated.
When you pick it up, after looking at it, say I need this wrapped as I am proposing...

No way will they say no.
2.gif

jasmigie

Rough_Rock
Well I guess I''ll try. I asked about getting new ring boxes and they told me no. Again only one set with a new ring purchase. Maybe wrapping will be different?

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tell them you need the ring box and need it to be wrapped, over and out!!!!
2.gif

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
When I got my ring appraised it came back to me in a beautiful black velvet box in the Tiffany blue box. Don''t worry about the box though --- she''s going to freak out with excitement when she sees that ring!!

Actually I have a thought for you, maybe they''re being difficult about the box since they know you got it used? In which case why not put it in a black velvet jeweler''s box (which is how they put Tiffany engagement rings anyways) and then tuck that into a blue china Tiffany ribbon box. For $75 you have a permanent blue box!

http://www.tiffany.com/shopping/Item.aspx?fromGrid=1&sku=GRP02222&mcat=148207&cid=297634&search_params=s+5-p+1-c+297634-r+-x+-n+6-ri+-ni+0-t+

jasmigie

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the tips. I talked to the store manager and she said they would put a bow on it. She said they no longer do the over-wrapping any longer. I think maybe I''ll order the wrapping paper anyway and do it myself. I am sure I''ll want to look at it about a thousand times before I give it to her anyways....

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think you did the right thing! Come back with photos please!
4.gif

jasmigie

Rough_Rock
Well I popped the question to her on Feb. 13th and she said YES! I took her to our first date spot and shed had no clue.

I set it up with a box of sweethearts that I personally sorted and resealed that led up to a "say yes" heart and then a "marry me" heart. I''ve never seen her happier.

Here''s a picture of the beautiful ring. Nothing but compliments from everyone....

Thanks to all of you for your help and suggestions!

photo-4.jpg

jasmigie

Rough_Rock
Another pic on the bride-to-be :)

mrssmiggy.jpg

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congrats. :)

karpouzi

Shiny_Rock
Aw, this is too sweet! Congrats--and it looks gorgeous on her hand!

Rockit

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations! Wonderful story. Perfect ending.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Its beautiful, many congratulations to you both!!

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
I''d definitely go for it.

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
36.gif
Congrats!!!
36.gif

LabRatPhD

Shiny_Rock
Very pretty! Congrats on your engagement!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results