shape
carat
color
clarity

CAD help please!

jayb52

Rough_Rock
First off, BIG thank you for everyone who contributes here. I like to do research and PS has been an invaluable resource in helping me better understand the ins and outs, values and pitfalls of finding an engagement ring. I even got to show off some of my newfound knowledge at a friend's engagement party last weekend.

With all that knowledge I've been working with a well regarded vendor here (BE), have purchased the diamond (a 2.32 ct 8-main cushion brilliant) and have just received CADs for the proposed ring.

I think it looks great, but I have ZERO understanding about CADs and don't know what I should be looking at. Would anyone be willing to impart some of their sage e-ring wisdom?

The ring is VERY similar to one made by BE a few years ago. The only major difference are the additional diamonds lining the outer edge of the halo:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-gorgeous-dainty-erd-rose-gold-halo-omb.191094/

IMG_5835.JPG IMG_5836.JPG IMG_5837.JPG IMG_5838.JPG IMG_5839.JPG IMG_5840.JPG IMG_5841.JPG IMG_5842.JPG IMG_5834.JPG

Same here! It looks beautiful!

I think the CADs look good, but I will point out some differences compared to the inspiration ring (other than the added melee), in case any of these details matter to you:
  • The inspiration ring has double prongs.
  • The angle of the halo in the inspiration ring is steeper, to match the crown angle of the center diamond.
  • The shape of the donut in the inspiration ring is circular.
  • The basket petals in the inspiration ring have more curvature.
  • This inspiration ring is hand-forged, not cast, so certain aspects of the ring may look noticeably different for this reason (i.e., don't expect your ring to look just like @meg_'s ring).

Thanks, drk14, super helpful. Any difference in double vs single prongs other than aesthetics?

Assuming they're well made, I think it's just an aesthetic preference.

Beautiful!! This will be a stunning ring.

On the prongs: in theory double prongs are safer I guess?

On the prongs: in theory double prongs are safer I guess?

That would be true if the single prongs are made the same size as one of the double prongs. However, I think that in many cases, each individual prong in a double prong configuration is made a little bit more delicate than a single prong, or vice versa, the single prong would be made a little bit sturdier to compensate.

If one (crudely) approximates prongs as little cylinders, then the bending stress (most likely mode of failure) in a pair of double prongs is half the stress in a single prong of identical diameter -- no surprise. However, if the diameter of the single-prong cylinder is increased to be only 20% larger than the diameter of the double-prong cylinders, then the strength of the (slightly beefed up) single prong will equal the combined strength of the pair of (slightly narrower) double prongs.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results