shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling all Cushion Experts!

ECS

Rough_Rock
Im starting the process looking for a great 4 ct range cushion cut LGD stone and Im absolutely overwhelmed with options!! How does anyone choose!? The prices range so heavily on stonealgo for the same specs from 3k-over10k. Id obviously like the best price to quality ratio, I'm just not sure where to start and why they can range so heavily. I'm interested in a more square cushion rather than elongated that shows strong in its presentation vs carat weight. D color, excellent fire and sparkle, VVS2 or above, excellent polish, excellent symmetry, no fluorescence. Does anyone have great options without giving too much detail as to let it get away. Or what I should specifically look for in a stone that sets itself above the rest?
I know this community has a ton of knowledge, so I appreciate the insight!!!!

Brian Gavin

It would help if you could post some links to stones that you like (carat weight, color/clarity doesn't matter). We'd like
to see what faceting pattern you're interested in. Also, do you have a budget or is it pretty flexible?

It would help if you could post some links to stones that you like (carat weight, color/clarity doesn't matter). We'd like
to see what faceting pattern you're interested in. Also, do you have a budget or is it pretty flexible?

Budget is flexible within reason. I want the best mix of quality. What would be the difference between a 3k stone with same overall specs vs a 12 k stone when you are looking at same carat, clarity, color ect. Looking for 9x9mm and up on stone size. Carat 4.00-4.25. Up to 8k or so, I am not a fan of the crushed ice stones and would prefer a typical cushion brilliant.

4.01 Carat - Cushion Cut Lab Grown Diamond, D Color, VVS2 Clarity, DreamStone Ideal Cut, IGI Diamond Certification - $3451.36 - #636499463 DreamStone

4.01 Carat - Cushion Cut Lab Grown Diamond, D Color Diamond, VVS2 Clarity Diamond, DreamStone Ideal Cut Diamond, IGI Diamond Certification #636499463, $3451.36 ID:6668b19aeac682738c8c55f2
www.dreamstone.com
www.dreamstone.com
www.danielwilliamdiamonds.com

4.07 Carat Cushion Cut Lab Grown Diamond

4.07 Carat Cushion Cut Lab Grown Diamond With D Color ,VVS1 Clarity And Na Cut

4.02 Carat Cushion Cut Lab Grown Diamond

4.02 Carat Cushion Cut Lab Grown Diamond With D Color ,VVS2 Clarity And Na Cut

Quote Reply

Any insight would be much appreciated!

Any insight would be much appreciated!

I am sorry for the lack of replies. Cushions come in many different cuts/flavours and although I know quite a bit about cushions, I know basically nothing re this type. Having been around in this forum for some time I think most posters know more re other cuts of cushions. This may be why you are not getting many replies.
I hope someone more knowledgeable will chime in soon. :wavey:

I am sorry for the lack of replies. Cushions come in many different cuts/flavours and although I know quite a bit about cushions, I know basically nothing re this type. Having been around in this forum for some time I think most posters know more re other cuts of cushions. This may be why you are not getting many replies.

No worries, appreciate the response. What about this type of cushion is new to you? Is it the specific facet pattern I included or the square cushion shape?
Could you maybe help clue me into why there is such a vast price difference in cushions with the exact same specs I am looking at. I’ve seen them as cheap as 2,000 to over 12,000. Is it something I am missing because I am not well versed? Am I missing out on anything in particular by going on the cheaper price range even if it is D, VVS2, super ideal cut etc.

I deep dived and noticed another post that was discussion cushions in particular. Referring to hearts and arrows, 4 main, 8 main and crushed ice types. I’m assuming that these cuts are the reason for high variability in cost with hearts and arrows being the most expensive? Is what I included only 4 mains? I would be very open to H&A options as well if anyone sees one that particularly stands out.

The best branded hearts and arrow cushion is gonna be Brian Gavin. My daughter has one and it’s stunning!!

ETA: sorry about that quick comment I left. I should have explained in further detail.

The best branded hearts and arrow cushion is gonna be Brian Gavin. My daughter has one and it’s stunning!!

ETA: sorry about that quick comment I left. I should have explained in further detail.
Would a diamond like this even though not Brain Gavin still be up to standard as an H&A cushion?

Im not able to confirm that, sorry! Hopefully, someone else can chime in. The Brian Gavin H&A cushion is basically pushing the easy button. That’s the way I prefer to go. Especially, with an online purchase. Hope you find a good one!

No worries, appreciate the response. What about this type of cushion is new to you? Is it the specific facet pattern I included or the square cushion shape?
Could you maybe help clue me into why there is such a vast price difference in cushions with the exact same specs I am looking at. I’ve seen them as cheap as 2,000 to over 12,000. Is it something I am missing because I am not well versed? Am I missing out on anything in particular by going on the cheaper price range even if it is D, VVS2, super ideal cut etc.

The cut is not new to me. It is simply not my preferred cut and that is why I haven't read up on it. It is a common cut, but it doesn't have any "researched" best/ideal proportions and so you will have to look at each individual stone to decide the cut. (Aset would help).

I think there are several different reasons for the price difference. First of all, the prices re lab diamonds are all over the place right now. It needs to settle, but it has not yet. This means that you can find overly expensive stones and slightly less overly expensive stones. With that I mean that all of them are still pricier than what they should, but some are extremely more pricey. Check out lightbox for reference, 500 USD per carat. I think it may go even lower. But that will take years because the market is still getting used/upping the supply. Some unusual cuts may probably also take longer before the price gets lower. The price difference has less to do with the quality of the individual stone right now, and more to to with the vendor market strategy/access to cheaper material.

I deep dived and noticed another post that was discussion cushions in particular. Referring to hearts and arrows, 4 main, 8 main and crushed ice types. I’m assuming that these cuts are the reason for high variability in cost with hearts and arrows being the most expensive? Is what I included only 4 mains? I would be very open to H&A options as well if anyone sees one that particularly stands out.

The thing is that there are very many different kinds of cuts when it comes to cushions. I thought you wanted the look that you presented in your post earlier. If you haven't decided on what you want, I suggest looking around a bit more. Start by searching the ones you mentioned, you can also look at antique inspired cuts, and see what look you prefer.

Hey, you should check out this new site, www.yourdiamondguys.com. It’s got this cool AI that scans for inclusions and weeds out the bad ones, so you only see the best diamonds with nice imperfections. Plus, there’s tons of info on there to help you out.

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP

Featured Topics