shape
carat
color
clarity

Can Any IT people (or others) give me some advice re a malicious online attack?

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Okay, this is long...So, I like to write, mostly for fun though I do make a (very) few bucks at it. I've had a bunch of stories published in small litmags and self-published a few books.

Recently, I withdrew a novel I was querying agents with, including one who had requested more pages (which is a big happy step towards that agent actually signing you on). I did that because a similar novel was coming out that was backed by a big publishing house, and I thought I might be able to piggyback on its success if I timed it right. The traditional route, if you can ever get in, in the first place, takes a couple of years from the time of agent acceptance.

Anyway, I've put in lots of hours here lately to try to promote my new book. And then some sh*thead comes along, makes up a bunch of obvious sock puppet accounts, and attacks me on Goodreads. Every book I've put out got several one-star reviews ---all at the same time-- from accounts that were set to "private" and didn't have any reviews anyway. They even attacked a bunch of litmags that I had stories in. They also made nasty, untrue remarks about me (well, about my pen name but same idea).

When you have very few reviews, as with my new novel, a few 1 stars take your rating down very low, which encourages people to just skip your "obviously no good" books. So, they knocked me down good.

This is not the first time this has happened, either. The last time was a few months ago, and several other self-published authors got the same treatment.

Goodreads won't do anything about it.

I'm thinking I'll call a private investigation firm that does social media/online investigations. I let it go last time but now I've had enough. I want to find out the true identity of whoever is doing this and sue them.

However, I am so dumb about online anything that I'm afraid I might just make a bad situation worse. It looks like private investigators typically want a nice chunk of money upfront. So then if they can't figure out who is doing this, I guess I just don't get anything for my money?

I do have an idea or two of who it might be. I think it's likely one of the authors who hang around on two author groups in particular. The reason is, this sockpuppeteer doesn't try to get money or anything, so it seems personal. Maybe getting even with people they got crosswise with, or people who they didn't think gave them high enough reviews or whatever. ?

So, I'm wondering what type of training I should look for in a PI and if it's likely they'll be able to find out who is behind these sabotages. Any advice much appreciated!

P.S. The last time I and others were attacked, Goodreads told me they'd need a court order to release any info. on the identity of whoever is doing this. I filled out an online form from my local court but it was very confusing and I don't know if that will lead to getting a court order or not.

Last edited:
Okay, this is long...So, I like to write, mostly for fun though I do make a (very) few bucks at it. I've had a bunch of stories published in small litmags and self-published a few books.

Recently, I withdrew a novel I was querying agents with, including one who had requested more pages (which is a big happy step towards that agent actually signing you on). I did that because a similar novel was coming out that was backed by a big publishing house, and I thought I might be able to piggyback on its success if I timed it right. The traditional route, if you can ever get in, in the first place, takes a couple of years from the time of agent acceptance.

Anyway, I've put in lots of hours here lately to try to promote my new book. And then some sh*thead comes along, makes up a bunch of obvious sock puppet accounts, and attacks me on Goodreads. Every book I've put out got several one-star reviews ---all at the same time-- from accounts that were set to "private" and didn't have any reviews anyway. They even attacked a bunch of litmags that I had stories in. They also made nasty, untrue remarks about me (well, about my pen name but same idea).

When you have very few reviews, as with my new novel, a few 1 stars take your rating down very low, which encourages people to just skip your "obviously no good" books. So, they knocked me down good.

This is not the first time this has happened, either. The last time was a few months ago, and several other self-published authors got the same treatment.

I'm thinking I'll call a private investigation firm that does social media/online investigations. I let it go last time but now I've had enough. I want to find out the true identity of whoever is doing this and sue them.

However, I am so dumb about online anything that I'm afraid I might just make a bad situation worse. It looks like private investigators typically want a nice chunk of money upfront. So then if they can't figure out who is doing this, I guess I just don't get anything for my money?

I do have an idea or two of who it might be. I think it's likely one of the authors who hang around on two author groups in particular. The reason is, this sockpuppeteer doesn't try to get money or anything, so it seems personal. Maybe getting even with people they got crosswise with, or people who they didn't think gave them high enough reviews or whatever. ?

So, I'm wondering what type of training I should look for in a PI and if it's likely they'll be able to find out who is behind these sabotages. Any advice much appreciated!

P.S. The last time I and others were attacked, Goodreads told me they'd need a court order to release any info. on the identity of whoever is doing this. I filled out an online form from my local court but it was very confusing and I don't know if that will lead to getting a court order or not.

No advice to say other than... that sucks.
So sorry you're dealing with this!
Pity all of PS can't go on and give you 5-stars and cancel that f*cker out.

sorry, I can't help with the PI but it might be cheaper to ask an attorney to help you with the form for the court order. It probably wouldn't take them much time.

Sorry to hear about the issues you are having, and I hope you'll get some help and advice soon, good luck!

DK :confused2:

This is not legal advise consult an attorney who is licensed in your area.
I did research this for a friend.
Basically the US has a lot of protections for reviews good or bad.
It has to be proven that its false and was intentionally posted to cause harm.
Opinions are more protected than facts.
For example:
In my opinion this book stinks. <-- protected all day long.
Mr writer is a <bad thing>. Probably not protected unless true.
Also many statements can be legally assumed to be opinion.
For example:
"This book stinks" and "In my opinion this book stinks" are both legally opinions.
What I told my friend was in my opinion he could spend $10000.00 on it and be no further ahead but consult an attorney for the legal answer.
Your not likely to find an attorney who will take such a case on a contingency.

In the EU the rules are different and bad reviews are slightly less protected but the cost is high there also.

Again not legal advise and just my opinion.

Sorry this is happening to you.

I think you need a lawyer to figure out what your options are. It might be that a strongly worded cease and desist is enough to make a bully go away. Good luck!

I think you need a lawyer to figure out what your options are. It might be that a strongly worded cease and desist is enough to make a bully go away. Good luck!

C and D’s are usually posted and laughed at in situations like this. I’m not saying it’s a bad idea, but I’ve seen enough internet nuts in my life to know how cease and desists are regarded among communities of miscreants and ne’er-do-wells, so to speak.

There’s no way you can come up with to spin this into a “any PR is good PR” situation? Without knowing specifics, I can’t strategize, but I’d generally use this as leverage to publicize the book I’d been trying to get eyes on.

Thanks, everyone so far. Goodreads did remove the dozens of one-star reviews and deleted all of the sock puppet accounts they came from. But I don't think they got to the root of the problem, so there's nothing stopping this person from doing it a third time.

I have an IT guy checking out the situation.

There’s no way you can come up with to spin this into a “any PR is good PR” situation? Without knowing specifics, I can’t strategize, but I’d generally use this as leverage to publicize the book I’d been trying to get eyes on.
Wow, that would be some nice lemonade from these lemons! :)

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP