shape
carat
color
clarity

Can I get your opinion on this? I vs K?

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
I haven’t sold my ACA and don’t plan to make an effort to do so. I got spooked about selling larger $ items privately a bit back.

Anyway, I still have the old upgrade policy and came across this one on WF’s website:

This is my ACA:

I was a little disappointed at how tinted my ACA was in the photos with that yellow diamond from TRR and started looking at higher color stones.

This is what the size difference would look like:
IMG_2526.png

I could keep my Jovyn. I would ask WF to make the prongs white - I’m in a fog and can’t remember what that’s called. But I’m not sure if it’s worth giving up the old upgrade policy for. Thoughts?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it depends on whether you think you'll ever want to upgrade again. Is "I" white enough for you or would you ever want
to go whiter? Do you think you'll ever want to go larger?

I also have an ACA K (1.66) and going through a bunch of mental gymnastics to try and figure out what I can deal with as far
as tint. I'm OK with my K but is a larger K stone going to show more tint due to the larger size? I'm
hearing yes, that it will show more tint due to the size...mostly from the side and not from the top. I'm not sure if I can handle
that though. This is hard!

Have you asked for pictures on the hand side-by-side with the "I" stone and a K about the same size?

Edit...I do like the "I" btw and you could keep your setting which is beautiful. Do you think you'd be ok with the
slightly smaller size?

Last edited:

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
I think it depends on whether you think you'll ever want to upgrade again. Is "I" white enough for you or would you ever want
to go whiter? Do you think you'll ever want to go larger?

I also have an ACA K (1.66) and going through a bunch of mental gymnastics to try and figure out what I can deal with as far
as tint. I'm OK with my K but is a larger K stone going to show more tint due to the larger size? I'm
hearing yes, that it will show more tint due to the size...mostly from the side and not from the top. I'm not sure if I can handle
that though. This is hard!

Have you asked for pictures on the hand side-by-side with the "I" stone and a K about the same size?

Edit...I do like the "I" btw and you could keep your setting which is beautiful. Do you think you'd be ok with the
slightly smaller size?

I probably will want to go larger but I’m not sure I ever will… My diamond is relatively large for where we live now so I don’t want to stick out. As for going down in size, I think it’s a small enough difference that I’d be ok.

I did get photos for a different I they have. Not sure how the difference would look in real life though… the smaller K could be an option but I felt the size difference wasn’t noticeable enough for the $.
IMG_2528.jpeg

I think once it goes to the Ks the range of colour really matters. As in, the difference between low K and high K can be quite a lot.

I’m not clear on whether you’re ok with K or not because you did say you’re disappointed with the tint but that you’re ok with still going for K. I wonder if splitting the difference and upgrading to J is a possibility? Maybe even going to an incremental size increase and a one colour grade increase.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think once it goes to the Ks the range of colour really matters. As in, the difference between low K and high K can be quite a lot.

I’m not clear on whether you’re ok with K or not because you did say you’re disappointed with the tint but that you’re ok with still going for K. I wonder if splitting the difference and upgrading to J is a possibility? Maybe even going to an incremental size increase and a one colour grade increase.

This is probably the right answer but there are probably not any Js in the size/price range you're after. The least expensive J in
a bigger size than your K is at $18K due to higher clarity. There are similarly priced "I"s that would actually make more sense.

What about a 3 stone in the future with the "I"? That would give you additional finger coverage. CVB makes a lovely 3-stone
version of your current setting. Of course, a new setting adds to the budget.

Last edited:

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock

The smaller K looked white in the photo on WF’s website so I thought that might work but I’m worried it’s both not a large enough size jump + will be too tinted.

I could definitely wait until a J in my budget pops up. I wanted to do a small upgrade since I still have the old upgrade policy.

This is probably the right answer but there are probably not any Js in the size/price range you're after. The least expensive J in
a bigger size than your K is at $18K due to higher clarity. There are similarly priced "I"s that would actually make more sense.

What about a 3 stone in the future with the "I"? That would give you additional finger coverage. CVB makes a lovely 3-stone
version of your current setting. Of course, a new setting adds to the budget.

I have considered a 3 stone but with the 2 additional stones + a new setting it seems like I’d be close to just upgrading to a larger stone. I have decision paralysis. I don’t want to waste my chance to upgrade but at that point, I may never upgrade because I’m trying to figure out the best way to do it while taking advantage of the old policy.

The smaller K looked white in the photo on WF’s website so I thought that might work but I’m worried it’s both not a large enough size jump + will be too tinted.

I could definitely wait until a J in my budget pops up. I wanted to do a small upgrade since I still have the old upgrade policy.

I have considered a 3 stone but with the 2 additional stones + a new setting it seems like I’d be close to just upgrading to a larger stone. I have decision paralysis. I don’t want to waste my chance to upgrade but at that point, I may never upgrade because I’m trying to figure out the best way to do it while taking advantage of the old policy.

I think you should figure out that long term what is the max you’d like to put into the upgrade (ignoring the policy for a second) that would get you to the size and colour you want.

If you upgrade once now, you’ll be locked in to upgrading to a stone 1.5x more expensive the next time, right? If the math supports an incremental upgrade now and a larger upgrade in the future, you can do that. If not, then it makes sense to wait and just upgrade once, to a bigger + whiter stone, because you won’t be locked in to spending a certain amount on the upgrade.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
I think you should figure out that long term what is the max you’d like to put into the upgrade (ignoring the policy for a second) that would get you to the size and colour you want.

If you upgrade once now, you’ll be locked in to upgrading to a stone 1.5x more expensive the next time, right? If the math supports an incremental upgrade now and a larger upgrade in the future, you can do that. If not, then it makes sense to wait and just upgrade once, to a bigger + whiter stone, because you won’t be locked in to spending a certain amount on the upgrade.

That’s sensible. I got too excited about being able to upgrade to the I for like $600. I’ll wait on the upgrade. Thanks for talking it through with me.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results