shape
carat
color
clarity

Can this very deep (depth, not dark) emerald be set?

Joanne10

Rough_Rock
Hello! I have an emerald bought pre-PS. It’s an emerald shape, approximately 7.75x5 mm, with 5.8 mm depth.

I plan to set it in a pendant. I’m flexible on style (bezel, halo, prong, etc). I haven’t been to the jeweller’s with it yet. I have however been told by another gem collector that it’s too deep to be successfully set in a pendant.

Does anyone have first-hand experience with such a stone? If yes, did you manage to set it? I couldn’t find much on this topic, sorry if it’s been discussed before. Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_6088.jpeg
    IMG_6088.jpeg
    139.3 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_6086.jpeg
    IMG_6086.jpeg
    120.6 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello! I have an emerald bought pre-PS. It’s an emerald shape, approximately 7.75x5 mm, with 5.8 mm depth.

I plan to set it in a pendant. I’m flexible on style (bezel, halo, prong, etc). I haven’t been to the jeweller’s with it yet. I have however been told by another gem collector that it’s too deep to be successfully set in a pendant.

Does anyone have first-hand experience with such a stone? If yes, did you manage to set it? I couldn’t find much on this topic, sorry if it’s been discussed before. Thank you in advance!

If the setting is custom-made, then why can't it be set as a pendant?! :confused:

The pendant setting can be designed so as to minimise rolling once the pendant is on a chain.

DK :confused:

Joanne10

Rough_Rock
I don’t know, hence my asking :) I only went custom twice, and both times it wasn’t a great experience. (Joys of living in a small provincial town.) Happy to hear it might be doable with the right jeweller. :)

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
It's not too deep for a pendant, I promise. The world has known many bigger, deeper stones set in pendants quite successfully. I myself have one that's deeper than yours (different stone, though) and I wear it all the time.

The thing that might present more difficulty is the shape of the bottom. The pavilion is just one thick monoblock with barely any angle. It won't fit into any type of stock setting, you'll have to go custom, and you'll have to do it with someone at least somewhat competent. I could totally see a less skilled jeweller turning you back because the stone in their opinion is impossible to set.

Joanne10

Rough_Rock
It won't fit into any type of stock setting, you'll have to go custom, and you'll have to do it with someone at least somewhat competent. I could totally see a less skilled jeweller turning you back because the stone in their opinion is impossible to set.

I’ve told my husband countless times how fragile emeralds are, so he just sent me this and offered to mount it himself, using the method in the video. /s

Last edited:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
In a pendant I would consider setting it pavilion up.
How is the color that way?

Joanne10

Rough_Rock
In a pendant I would consider setting it pavilion up.
How is the color that way?

Interesting idea. Unfortunately, colour is bad. The crystal is quite poorly saturated. Face-up, the cutter did a good job and it’s *almost* decent.

I’m not sure how it looks in these two comparison pics. In real life, it’s fairly obvious. First shot is very accurate, for what’s worth.

Edit: added another one pavilion up. This one’s a lot more like that I see.

IMG_8216.jpeg

Also, if anyone has any concerns regarding its structural integrity, please shoot. I’d like to know.

Attachments

• IMG_6089.jpeg
    IMG_6089.jpeg
    411.1 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
To prevent rolling, I’d suggest a flat disc setting with the emerald in the centre. On the flat section of the disc you could add in more emeralds or other gemstones. On perhaps a star shape base with the emerald in the centre. I think a simple prong set pendant isn’t going to sit properly on the neck.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Was this a costly stone to buy back in the day? It will be costly to set because of the need to go custom.

I like @Bron357 suggestion of anchoring the setting with some surrounding metal. I think that will help it sit well. You could also add stones that have high domes, like cabochons.

Joanne10

Rough_Rock
Great ideas, @Bron357 and @Dreamer_D! I’ve been looking at an Aussie opal to do a sort of toi et moi pendant, so my thoughts were also going in that direction - flattening it out, as it were. But there is a big difference in thickness still. Work in progress…

Was this a costly stone to buy back in the day? It will be costly to set because of the need to go custom.

It was costly to me at the time. So I’d avoid putting more money in this project than absolutely necessary, because I don’t love the stone. Fortunately, around these parts, the manufacturing process (and it’s being done by hand, too) is quite cheap. But downside is I haven’t found a skilled bench yet. (You get what you pay for, yes…)

Joanne10

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much, everyone, for all the information and all the great ideas you’ve given me! I’ll let everything stew for a while and see what I come up with.

Also, I’ll have to enquire about someone relatively local who has experience in setting emeralds, so this is going to take a while. Wish me luck!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results