shape
carat
color
clarity

Can you have a pave setting ring re-sized?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ospray

Rough_Rock
I was reading a thread here earlier (forgot where I found it!) that made it sound like rings with pave settings are difficult/impossible to re-size. Did I understand this correctly, or am I off-base?

I ask because I would like to purchase a pave setting online, but I don''t know my gf''s exact ring size, which means I am going to need to re-size it. If pave can''t be re-sized...that would be a problem!

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
They were talking about eternity rings. Normal pave rings is not a problem to resize as long as it is not paved all the way round.

ospray

Rough_Rock
Ah, phew. That''s a relief! Thanks, stone-cold.
10.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
BUT that being said, it IS NOT a good idea to resize a pave ring significantly because it can cause the setting to lose strength and all the itty bitty prongs to potentially come a bit loose even if it isn't an eternity band. So you really really really want to get as close as possible to her ring size the first time around.

Can you ask one of her friends?

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
Or can you get hold of one of her rings and try it on your hand? Even if it doesn''t fit, you''ll get a pretty good comparison for when you try the sizing rings at the jeweller...

Mediterranean

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/8/2008 2:09:33 PM
Author: oldmancoyote
Or can you get hold of one of her rings and try it on your hand? Even if it doesn''t fit, you''ll get a pretty good comparison for when you try the sizing rings at the jeweller...

That actually worked when my fiance bought the shank. I don''t know if he got lucky or what, but he drew a little dash on the spot on his pinky where my ring finally sat fairly securely, and then stuck his finger in the sizer up to that little pen-mark on his finger. He nailed the size.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/8/2008 2:24:51 PM
Author: Mediterranean
Date: 12/8/2008 2:09:33 PM

Author: oldmancoyote

That actually worked when my fiance bought the shank. I don''t know if he got lucky or what, but he drew a little dash on the spot on his pinky where my ring finally sat fairly securely, and then stuck his finger in the sizer up to that little pen-mark on his finger. He nailed the size.

Very resourceful man!!!! My DH just asked me because he said he couldn''t figure it out on his own, lol.

ospray

Rough_Rock
bad news...she doesn''t own any rings! not sure what to do now...

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/8/2008 2:28:00 PM
Author: ospray

Is this a total 100% surprise? Or a "she knows we''re getting engaged sometime soon but doesn''t know where/how/when?" Because if it''s the latter you could take her into a jewelry store to get sized for the "future".

You could also ask a friend/sister to do some sleuthing for you. You really don''t want to size a pave ring more than a size or two if you can help it...

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you opposed to trying on rings with her in a local jewellery store? If so, get a plain setting and reset the stone(s) in the fancier setting once you know her size.

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/8/2008 2:28:00 PM
Author: ospray
Can you (or better - a friend adequately primed by you) persuade her to try on a friend''s ring?

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Pave rings don''t take well to resizing. I don''t think it''s recommended for more that a half ring size. Resizing shifts around the tiny beads that are holding down the stones.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
I've seen a pave ring absolutely disintegrate when being sized two sizes down. Granted it was low quailty, but literally it was unsizeable. The melee shot out like popcorn and it had to be returned to the original size pronto. While a well made ring shouldn't do that, it can weaken the bead settings and make it very likely to lose melee in the future and nobody wants that headache. You'd be better served to get a plain band, or compromise on the surprise aspect a bit, if there's no other way to get her size. (A string used to measure her finger when she's asleep?! Or would that be just too weird if she woke up?) While it might be OK to size a pave band a few sizes, it might not be too. And that would be seriously frustrating if it wasn't OK.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Leon Mege makes very high quality hand made rings and recommends resizing only one size either up or down on bands with set stones. When pave is small or on 2 or 3 sides he recommends only a half size up or down.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results