shape
carat
color
clarity

Can''t Tell The Difference

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

zman8

Rough_Rock
I have been reading around the PS forums for a couple of days now. Also looking at various PS recommended websites an their prices. All the while I kept thinking to myself, "exactly what does an SI1 look like? How big is 1.0 carats?, etc."

Fortunately, I live three blocks from a diamond store, Mervis Diamonds, and decided to stop in to just look at some of the rocks they had available. I figured all the research of numbers and jargon was worthless if I did not have a first-hand impression of what it comported to.

Having left the jeweler, I am set on a round cut diamond (I had considered a Princess cut, however, I like the way the light caught the round).

However, what I am unsure about is the color and clarity issues. While cut still remains my top priority (excellent or ideal only), I found myself unable to tell the difference between an VS1 and an SI1. Even when handed the magnifier, I struggled to locate the feather in the SI1. On the color issue, I could not see a difference between an E and a G. It was not until I saw the G next to an I that I could see the color difference.

My question is, is this a common issue? Should I go with an SI1/G, or is there something I am missing?

Thanks for your help, and this website has been a god-send.

Nope, that is ALL very normal. That is why there are so many of us who are very happy getting an eyeclean Si1 diamond and dropping a bit on the color, because in reality, hardly anyone can tell the difference.

Prior to my trip this morning, I had written off anything below F and VS2. However, I am now considering increasing the carat on an SI1/G instead.

Also, when considering a ring with sidestones, I presume the issue of clarity and color becomes less of a factor due to their small size?

I have also been looking at White Flash and James Allen for purchasing the ring. I know that people laud the quality of WF, but has anyone had experience with James Allen?

Date: 11/29/2008 2:44:23 PM
Author: zman8
Prior to my trip this morning, I had written off anything below F and VS2. However, I am now considering increasing the carat on an SI1/G instead.

Also, when considering a ring with sidestones, I presume the issue of clarity and color becomes less of a factor due to their small size?

I have also been looking at White Flash and James Allen for purchasing the ring. I know that people laud the quality of WF, but has anyone had experience with James Allen?
James Allen is also a well respected vendor and has an excellent rep here.

I had very similar experience when I went to the jewelry store with all their crazy lighting. I couldn't tell the difference as easily as I thought I would be able to. But I was able to see a little more difference once I was in "normal" lighting. We landed on a G/VS1 but started with no lower than E/VVS1.

Date: 11/29/2008 4:42:21 PM
Author: CharmyPoo
I had very similar experience when I went to the jewelry store with all their crazy lighting. I couldn''t tell the difference as easily as I thought I would be able to. But I was able to see a little more difference once I was in ''normal'' lighting. We landed on a G/VS1 but started with no lower than E/VVS1.

Is there a way to look at the diamond outside of the store? When I was at Mervis I had to go through a holding area just to enter the store.

I say go for a G si1, more bang for your buck and you said it yourself that you cannot tell the difference until you get to I color and between VS2 and SI1....Yes, like Lorelei said, I too would be more than happy to get an Si1 diamond

Date: 11/29/2008 4:48:00 PM

I had very similar experience when I went to the jewelry store with all their crazy lighting. I couldn''t tell the difference as easily as I thought I would be able to. But I was able to see a little more difference once I was in ''normal'' lighting. We landed on a G/VS1 but started with no lower than E/VVS1.

Is there a way to look at the diamond outside of the store? When I was at Mervis I had to go through a holding area just to enter the store.

Many stores will let you or at least let you take it near a window.

Date: 11/29/2008 4:48:00 PM

You can ask them if they are able to take you outside - depending on their insurance/size of the stones, etc, they may or may not be able to accomodate you.

Date: 11/29/2008 2:27:34 PM
Author:zman8
I have been reading around the PS forums for a couple of days now. Also looking at various PS recommended websites an their prices. All the while I kept thinking to myself, ''exactly what does an SI1 look like? How big is 1.0 carats?, etc.''

Fortunately, I live three blocks from a diamond store, Mervis Diamonds, and decided to stop in to just look at some of the rocks they had available. I figured all the research of numbers and jargon was worthless if I did not have a first-hand impression of what it comported to.

Having left the jeweler, I am set on a round cut diamond (I had considered a Princess cut, however, I like the way the light caught the round).

However, what I am unsure about is the color and clarity issues. While cut still remains my top priority (excellent or ideal only), I found myself unable to tell the difference between an VS1 and an SI1. Even when handed the magnifier, I struggled to locate the feather in the SI1. On the color issue, I could not see a difference between an E and a G. It was not until I saw the G next to an I that I could see the color difference.

My question is, is this a common issue? Should I go with an SI1/G, or is there something I am missing?

Thanks for your help, and this website has been a god-send.
You will want to see the diamonds involved and have the right of return, but most SI diamonds will be very acceptable in the cut quality that you desire. Actually, so will many I1 diamonds, especially if graded by AGS who are extremely tight on their clarity grades.

Color is also extremely personal in nature with many people actually loving the warmer buttery colors and others preferring only the D-E-F colors. It has been my personal experience that most people can not accurately differentiate between one to two color grades viewed face up in excellent and ideal cut diamonds. Many can not accurately tell me which is the better colored diamond until there are three or more color grades between them, although looking at the diamonds from the side makes it easy to tell.

So my answer would be thus: Any excellent or ideal cut diamond in the AGS cut grading system in a G-H color and SI1 or 2 clarity will be worthy of a look to see if it makes your eyes and heart as happy as the SI grade does your wallet.

Wink

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP