shape
carat
color
clarity

Casting pics from WF

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Suteishi

Rough_Rock
Hi! Okay. Can I get a second opinion or three? *grin*

We got our casting pics of the engagement setting WF is making for us (not wax pix & dunno why). It''s based on a James Allen setting and the Vatche X prong with channel set side stones. Here''s where this journey started:

old thread

When I saw these pics, it made me a little nervous because there were a few things I didn''t like. It looked more like a U prong than an X pron and I wasn''t sure if it was just from the angle of the photo or what. Also when I photoshopped and mirrored the sides, they weren''t even. I put a photoshopped list of "worries" together on photos from their photos.

I do have to say WhiteFlash has been great. They called us before I was even up today (up late writing) to see how we liked it. I sent them my pics and talked with a couple of people regarding my concerns.

Maybe I''m just being picky, but this is a huge thing for me. I hope to wear this for years and years and years and love it. I do understand this is a casting and not a finished/polished piece, but it just didn''t "feel" right when I saw it. WF told me my concerns will be gone when they polish and finish it, so they''re going ahead.

But in the meantime, can I get a second opinion, please?

Here''s the pic:

casting.jpg

Thanks so much!

Oh this might help. Some pics of the original.

image.gif

top.gif

i would probably have ''panic'' in my world seeing a casting. they really don''t in anyway do the final product justice. i totally trust wf and i am *sure* they will produce the design that you want.
take some deep breaths and try not to get too worked up. save your energy for the final product. that''s the time to decide if your vision is the same as the creation.
2.gif

Date: 11/1/2006 4:52:38 PM
Author: belle
i would probably have ''panic'' in my world seeing a casting. they really don''t in anyway do the final product justice. i totally trust wf and i am *sure* they will produce the design that you want.
take some deep breaths and try not to get too worked up. save your energy for the final product. that''s the time to decide if your vision is the same as the creation.
2.gif
I actually would far rather see a wax than a casting. The casting needs to be refined and worked on after it''s made.

I''d not worry till I saw the final product.
1.gif

you may be thinking it''s more of a u shape because i think they leave the prong things longer than needed until the diamond is in there. see how in your pic they come up higher than in the actual JA ring?

Looks kinda scary to me....

The pic on the far right is what troubles me. The gallery isn''t a straight edge on the right hand side, like it is on the left. Not sure if that makes sense or not. But it should be a nice straight line. Looks kind of wavy to me. I know it isn''t finished, but that''s my 0.2
2.gif

It looks more like a U and an X and I don''t think that will change with refining. They put the spot where the prongs cross lower than what you''d like. Their work typically is beautiful but this might be just a design preference you have. The rough is going to look "rough" and I am surprised they wanted to show you this stage.

The rough work does indeed look 'rough.' We don't typically send out photos of the rough cast and regret any alarm this caused. There is still filing, shaping, prong work, pre-polish, setting prep, setting and final polish to go.

Not too long ago there was a similar thread with concerns by a client about a wax model. I hope this information, the follow-up, and the final product will help ease your mind.
1.gif

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-waxes-from-wf.51405/

Date: 11/1/2006 9:57:41 PM
Author: JohnQuixote

The rough work does indeed look ''rough.'' We don''t typically send out photos of the rough cast and regret any alarm this caused. There is still filing, shaping, prong work, pre-polish, setting prep, setting and final polish to go.

Not too long ago there was a similar thread with concerns by a client about a wax model. I hope this information, the follow-up, and the final product will help ease your mind.
1.gif

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-waxes-from-wf.51405/
You know, when I look at the wax for my ring and it''s all rough and weird and then look at the waxes WF does that are all crisp and clean (granted you have to please more than just your client - you have to be wary that the entire world migh know you have a sloppy wax or rough cast ROFL!!! I pity your situation, I was looking at rough casts at my jewelers the other day and they''re ROUGH in fact I thought yuors looked like it was already a tiny bit cleaned up!! I find myself VERY forgiving of this piece, however rough, except maybe the x being low... I do think you should have shown the wax before casting it... seems like a good safety catch at least. But all of this brings up a question I''ve had for over w eek now.... just how picky SHOULD we be about the wax? should it be perfect? that wax for jumbo is perfect looking to me... and so was the ring... how perfect should the wax be?

Thanks everyone! I am still a bit worried, but I guess all I can do is wait to see how it turns out.

I''m so glad it isn''t just me. While I know I am picky by nature, if there is anything to be very picky about? An engagement ring tops the list of things I can think of.

I had a ring made a few years ago. The jeweler was a friend of my parents and even looking at pictures would say he understood what I wanted, but then he made it wrong each time. It had to be recast 4 times I think, and it never was right. He kept putting other metal embellishments on or would change the side stone height. He said that it was because *I* just didn''t understand his creative process (lol). In the end, months later, I just wanted it to be over so the last casting that looked the closest to what I wanted with least amount of embellishments I just said was fine. While I like that ring, I don''t love it. I rarely wear it. I like the stones I selected, but probably someday will change the setting to what I originally wanted.

I want to love this because I''ll wear it every day.

I do trust WF and they said it would be fine. Our timeline (Thanksgiving is my bday too) means we need it by the 17th before we leave for the holiday, and while I would be very sad to wait until after, getting it right is too important. With a custom design, there''s no returns and no second chances so it being right when I see it is the second most important thing. (I''ve already got "the" guy -- & of course he''s the most important thing ;)

I really hope it all turns out well. *crosses ringless fingers* XD

Thanks again everyone! I''ll post more pics when I get them.

Actually John Q posted my thread on concerns about the wax. And I can understand how you feel because I was a little concerned about the way the waxes appeared in the photos. But I was reassured that everything would be fine by John, and others who had worked with WF. In the end I was totally surprised how well everything turned out!! The difference between the waxes and the finished product were infinite. Try not to panic. If in the end, the finished product is not what you want I am sure that WF will accomodate your requests for tweaking.

Onedrop~

Your ring is gorgeous! XD

I do trust WF. I''m not worried about them or them making it right at all. In the end, I think I''ll be really pleased.

I''m just a little nervous because of the timing and then the casting pics. I''m really glad it wasn''t just me who saw them and noticed some worrying things. I kinda expected to see wax pics but never did. It would have been nice to ask these questions back then.

I''ll just have to wait to see how it all turns out and will keep everyone posted.
21.gif

*ringless fingers crossed* XDDD

Date: 11/3/2006 6:46:50 PM
Author: Suteishi
Onedrop~

I do trust WF. I''m not worried about them or them making it right at all. In the end, I think I''ll be really pleased.

I''m just a little nervous because of the timing and then the casting pics. I''m really glad it wasn''t just me who saw them and noticed some worrying things. I kinda expected to see wax pics but never did. It would have been nice to ask these questions back then.

I''ll just have to wait to see how it all turns out and will keep everyone posted.
21.gif

I think one of the scary things about those casting pics is that I''ve seen *finished* rings that weren''t much better!!!

Date: 11/3/2006 6:46:50 PM
Author: Suteishi
Onedrop~

I do trust WF. I'm not worried about them or them making it right at all. In the end, I think I'll be really pleased.

I'm just a little nervous because of the timing and then the casting pics. I'm really glad it wasn't just me who saw them and noticed some worrying things. I kinda expected to see wax pics but never did. It would have been nice to ask these questions back then.

I'll just have to wait to see how it all turns out and will keep everyone posted.
21.gif

Thanks Suteishi!!
35.gif

I did go back and look at your casting pics, and yes there were some concerns there, but I think it will be fine. WF has great quality control from what I have seen. Hopefully you pointed out those couple of issues to your rep and they will address them. Can't wait to see your finished product!!

hi suteishi,
i''m sorry that seeing your cast(?is that what it''s called?) has caused you angst. i really don''t know much about the entire process start to finish but when whiteflash sent me pics of my wax, it was picture perfect. i had a non-diamond set into a band of aca diamonds, 3/4 eternity band, 14 5 pointers and it is PERFECTION. my non-diamond custom setting was treated(by bob) with as much care and precision as any other custom piece that i have ever had made(by other jewelers). i still cannot believe that such care was used for a piece that some might consider "costume". i love my ring and am sure yours will be just perfect on your finger. just wanted to reassure you about the workmanship of whiteflash....best of luck to you!

Thanks everyone for the reassurance!

Having seen everyone''s pictures of custom work done by WF, I do trust them. They do beautiful work and everyone seems really happy with the finished pieces.

I haven''t heard anything from them yet, but will post when I find out anything. If there are pics, I''ll post them.

I can''t wait! Thanks again! *hugs ps-ers*

XD

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP