shape
carat
color
clarity

Choose the correct mm size chain for a pendant

stci

Ideal_Rock
Hi!

How to choose the best mm size chain for a pendant?

Is there any rules about this?

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think there's any rule about this. It's just a matter of what looks good to your eye. If you'd like to post a picture of the pendant you need a chain for, we can help you with suggestions.

stci

Ideal_Rock
Here is my heart diamond pendant:

coeur_diamant_80ct_HSI2.jpg

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like my necklaces/pendants to be pretty short, no longer than the collar bone. So I always go with a 14" chain. I bend over a lot to pick up toys and stuff for my kids and just can not stand things clunking me in the face or mouth, LOL

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
oops, you said mm and mean thickiness, huh? ignore me ;-)

I think the heavier the pendant the bigger the chain should be... that's just how I base mine. I guess more for security purposes.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd do either one of two things. My open heart is on a round snake chain, but you can also use a wheat chain for that. It would look very nice. If I have some time tomorrow, I'll post pics for you. I'd just stay away from something square like a box chain for this pendant because it's romantic and feminine and has a curve to the bottom of the heart.

stci

Ideal_Rock
I dream of a round snake or omega chain! I just don't know if I have to choose 1.5, 2 or more mm!

Can't wait to see your pics Gemgirl!

reader

Brilliant_Rock
I would go with a thinner chain. It is a very pretty pendant, and a thinner chain would keep the eyes on the diamonds.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I took a few quicky pictures for you stci, just to give you an idea. Your diamond heart is a lot larger than either one of mine, so you can definitely rock a 2mm chain and maybe even a 2.5mm

On a 2mm round snake-

IMG_1807.JPG

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
On a 2.5 mm spiga (wheat) chain-

IMG_1811.JPG

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did a pair of box chains on my channel set heart. The channel setting lent itself to structured straightness of a box chain. One chain is on the heart and the other hangs below it.

IMG_1812.JPG

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You mentioned an Omega chain, and I thought I'd post one because most PSers have never seen one. I think they're more from our generation. LOL! This one is too large for your pendant, but of course, they come in all widths.

IMG_1814.JPG

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last but not least, one of my favorites. Practically everything looks nice on this. It's a 14K WG tubular mesh necklace. I hope this helped to give you an idea of choices.

IMG_1815.JPG

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results