shape
carat
color
clarity

Colombian indecision

antonio91

Rough_Rock
Trade
a dear friend of mine who sells mainly colored gems is encouraging me to necessarily buy this on the GUILD certified 2.94 carat Colombian emerald of MUZO origin... the price is too important for me, I'm afraid that I won't be able to resell it... I usually sell cheaper Zambia stones but if you encouraged me maybe I would buy it without any ifs or buts, and I wouldn't care anymore IMG_4461.png

Attachments

• IMG_4329.jpeg
    IMG_4329.jpeg
    126.9 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_4328.jpeg
    IMG_4328.jpeg
    178.8 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_4327.jpeg
    IMG_4327.jpeg
    145.8 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_4330.jpeg
    IMG_4330.jpeg
    186.6 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_4332.jpeg
    IMG_4332.jpeg
    252.2 KB · Views: 32

ShinyPink

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I do love the color, but you didn't state the price. I looked on here and found that Guild is gaining in popularity and some say it is reliable for treatment and origin, but I still would want a cert from AGL or GIA. I'm also not good at finding fissures, etc. so I'll defer to those with good vision for that.

I agree with @PinkAndBlueBling... we would need to know the price. I have purchased gems with a Guild report and had them recertified by GIA or AGL. All results were positively confirmed. So I tend to think Guild is reliable as far as species and composition. But I would want a more reputable lab to confirm the extent of clarity enhancement and origin, because both of those things greatly affect emerald price, and that seems to be what you're most concerned with. It's a lovely gem!

antonio91

Rough_Rock
Trade
sorry, I thought I wrote it, anyway $5400 per carat and yes I would buy it to resell it because that is my job... and on the one hand I'm tempted by the prestige and on the other I'm afraid of spending money

antonio91

Rough_Rock
Trade
I would like to point out that I opened this post because I mainly sell gold... and I don't have a great Gemological culture for colored stones, even lately they excite me a lot

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
We're a consumer forum so, as you can imagine, giving advice to trade is not really where we excel. There are folks here who know about emeralds and will be able to offer solid advice on whether the stone is worth it at this price, but as to whether it's a suitable investment to resell... Honestly, considering the strict rules on trade and the related discussions, I'm not sure whether that topic is even allowed.

antonio91

Rough_Rock
Trade
We're a consumer forum so, as you can imagine, giving advice to trade is not really where we excel. There are folks here who know about emeralds and will be able to offer solid advice on whether the stone is worth it at this price, but as to whether it's a suitable investment to resell... Honestly, considering the strict rules on trade and the related discussions, I'm not sure whether that topic is even allowed.
then I apologize

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sorry, I thought I wrote it, anyway $5400 per carat and yes I would buy it to resell it because that is my job... and on the one hand I'm tempted by the prestige and on the other I'm afraid of spending money

Nope nope nope. Don't buy gemstones to resell if you don't know what to look for. Also, you aren't allowed to post about this on here because you're in the trade

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Pretty sure it's not

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
There's another forum -- it's mostly about lapidary and has a lot of trade members.

If you just search the Web for a bit you will find it rather quickly. Buying to resell is tricky -- you'd have to be getting it significantly below current market rates and that can be very difficult to know (and significantly impacted by small things like whether it really will be certified minor oil by GIA or what inclusions it has). Almost a disaster waiting to happen unless you've got a lot of experience with buying and reselling emeralds.

then I apologize

No need to apologize... you're new and this is how we all learn. :) But let's say this emerald is high-quality Colombian material, I'd say the price you quoted is at the modest end of retail. So if the stone is as-described, you may make some profit with the right buyer. But that can take time. As a dealer, you should be getting wholesale pricing to make any future sale worth the risk. You don't want to be buying at retail with the specific intention of reselling. If it is any help at all, from what I can see just from the limited info, it's looks like a very fine stone. Good luck!

ShinyPink

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I didn't ask the obvious question: why isn't your gemstone dealer friend selling it? It's their area of expertise, not yours. :confused:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results