shape
carat
color
clarity

color or cut choice

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

saphire

Rough_Rock
Hi, there. If you were to choose between G/H color SI clarity good cut vs I color, very good cut for same $, which is better choice?

THanks

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
A better cut is always a good idea. Cut is really what gives a diamond sparkle, so I would sacrifice pretty much anything for an ideal cut.

audball

Ideal_Rock
Agreed. Cut takes priority over the other C''s.

Mediterranean

Brilliant_Rock
Cut. CUT CUT CUT....

But your post leaves me with questions/concerns: WHO is rating these cuts as "good" or "very good" or what have you? Is it the vendors? Or is it the certs?

What are we looking at here? Round Brilliants, or fancies?

If you''re looking at round brilliants and you have access to measurements off the stones cert, you can plug it into the HCA and see what cut quality you''re really looking at, from an objective "numbers" standpoint.

If you''re looking at fancies, the "weeding out" process is probably best done using AGS 0 light performance criteria, and then looking at ASET/IdealScope images of the stone.

But, based strictly on the info posted here? Where it''s just some random opinion of good or very good? I would not buy EITHER stone until I examined the actual numbers/images more in-depth.

Ms.Goggles

Shiny_Rock
I''m with everyone else. A better cut wins with me!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Look for GIA Excellent or AGS Ideal. Then choose within those cut categories.

Venice

Brilliant_Rock
CUT!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cut is the most important "C" in a diamond.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Don''t sacrifice on cut, get a well cut diamond! Next, personally given two very well cut stones I would go for a G/H SI stone rather than an I/VS. Many SI stones are completely eye clean.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/7/2008 11:03:36 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Look for GIA Excellent or AGS Ideal. Then choose within those cut categories.
Yes if you want to make it easier then this is a good way to proceed.

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/7/2008 5:14:30 PM
Author: Mediterranean
Cut. CUT CUT CUT....

But your post leaves me with questions/concerns: WHO is rating these cuts as 'good' or 'very good' or what have you? Is it the vendors? Or is it the certs?

What are we looking at here? Round Brilliants, or fancies?

If you're looking at round brilliants and you have access to measurements off the stones cert, you can plug it into the HCA and see what cut quality you're really looking at, from an objective 'numbers' standpoint.

If you're looking at fancies, the 'weeding out' process is probably best done using AGS 0 light performance criteria, and then looking at ASET/IdealScope images of the stone.

But, based strictly on the info posted here? Where it's just some random opinion of good or very good? I would not buy EITHER stone until I examined the actual numbers/images more in-depth.
Erm, no. It's a further weeding out tool, but the HCA doesn't tell you too much about the cut, actually. In fact, AGS-0 is a stricter requirement than HCA
Agree with you on all the rest.

Indira-London

Shiny_Rock
Here is a picture to show you why the posters here rate cut quality over other factors!

Which diamond would you choose?

The stone on the left is actually smaller carat weight than the one on the right but the one on the left looks larger because it has the topmost cut quality and hence is returning light from edge-to-edge.

CUT quality is KING - it is the KEY to sparkle AND visual apparent size as well as looking whiter when face up!
A well-cut diamond will LOOK bigger and sparkle more than a commercial or average cut larger carat diamond!

comparison tr56e.jpg

Indira-London

Shiny_Rock
Diamond colours (for white diamonds) are judged from the SIDE and not the top when the diamond is loose and viewed on a white background under a natural daylight lamp. The difference between each colour is very subtle so that to many people colours D-J when viewed from the top look "white"

DtoJcomp32wer.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results